Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 1, 2007, 11:03 PM   #1

Hello everyone! I am interested in purchasing an SLR camera and am having a hard time deciding on which one would be the best one for my needs. I will be taking pictures of my kids and other people's kids and will be using it about the same amount indoors as outdoors. I'm not sure if I shoud go with the Canon XT or if the XTi would be that much better or if I should just go for the Nikon D40 or even the Sony since it has the built in stabilizer. HELP!:lol:
Kristin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2007, 2:48 AM   #2

Kristin86 wrote:
Quote:
or even the Sony since it has the built in stabilizer. HELP!:lol:
and so do the Pentax K100Dand the K10D.....

I have been very happy with my K10D, the IS is very nice to have especially in low light situation and long lenses even in fairly bright light.

People that have them seem quite happy with the 100D too. Main differences are 6MP instad of 10MP and less feature rich... butstill nice cameras. Both can be used with any Pentax lens ever made though the obvios automation limitations if manual lens, yet still the IS for any lens even a 30+ year old one.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 5:00 AM   #3

I am a half professional photographer and I have been using Canon EOS 350D. I am happy with this. So I suggest it to you!
gubak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 6:38 AM   #4

Kristin,

You say you'll be taking pictures of kids - with equal time indoors and outdoors. Can you be a little more specific? Indoors in your house or indoors in an auditorium or gym? And doing what - just general shots of kids playing indoors and out? The reason I'm asking is the answers could help determine what features, lenses and accessories might be beneficial to your goal.

I'll state right off - I'm not a fan of the d40 - it limits you to selecting about 1/3 of the lenses available for all the other Nikon dslr (this is because the d40 doesn't have a focus motor). So, if you like Nikons I would suggest the D50 as the entry model to look at - it's older but it's still a better camera than the newer D40 for not much more.

The Canon 400D, 350D and Pentax K100 and K10 are all great cameras as well. Knowing a little more specifics about the TYPES of shots you want to get and the situations will help (i.e. kids playing in your living room may have different requirements than kids in a play in a school auditorium).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 9:24 AM   #5

Thanks so much for the opinions. I will just be taking shots of my own kids playing in our house. I just love taking pictures of them in action or getting them to smile for me spontaneously. I also love taking pics outdoors and I also shoot them a fair amount at night. I am just super worried about choosing the right camera and spending my money as wisely as possible. Thanks again....
Kristin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 10:02 AM   #6

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk10d/page18.asp

id be worried about the pentax due to its algorithm that softens the images up
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 11:08 AM   #7

audioedge wrote:
Quote:

With all the comparisons (D80. A200, 30D) there is a definite softness to the K10D's images. However for the many people that shoot RAW then this quote from the same review is just as relevant:

Quote:
Quote:
Crop for crop the K10D actually delivers about the same amount of detail as the D80, the biggest difference is down to the crispness of edge detail which appears softer in the K10D image than the D80. As we speculated earlier this would appear to be down to the type of demosaicing / sharpening algorithms used as the actual detailed delivered by the CCD is higher and can be extracted fully by shooting RAW.
In fact the article goes on to say :

Quote:
Removing the camera's built-in image processor and instead processing using a standard converter (in this case Adobe Camera RAW) we see the K10D's true colors, clear crisp images with lots of detail and sharp edges. Indeed there are several parts of the image which look more detailed than the D80. It makes you wonder why Pentax couldn't achieve this quality with their processor.
You can see the improvement and added sharpness over the D80 for yourself. That is if you only shoot RAW - otherwise the advantage goes to the D80. However it should also be noted that since that article was written there has been a firmware update (1.10 on Jan 23rd) for the K10D which may or may not have addressed this issue.

Quote:
Features added and upgraded by this update include wireless flash control, refinements to the ISO and exposure control systems and improvements to long-exposure image quality
In fact the perfect solution would be, in situations where you may require additional detail, to shoot in RAW + Jpeg mode so that if you wish to have sharper pictures then you can easily work on the RAW file.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 1:58 PM   #8

audioedge wrote:
Quote:

I've just come across this as well - sort of puts that issue to bed.

Quote:
regarding overly soft JPEGs produced by the PRIME engine, which is a main complaint many have with this camera... Rather than cater to point & shoot enthusiasts who do little manipulation or post processing, Pentax has just produced a camera that (like the Nikon D200) doesn't over-sharpen JPEGs in-camera on default settings. If you like your images sharper, you'll get higher quality from sharpening during post processing rather than trying to soften-up overly sharp pictures. The Pentax user manual explains that for sharper in camera results (more comparable to standard p&s digicams or lower level dSLRs aimed more towards consumers) you just adjust the levels in camera.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 5:07 PM   #9

If you are considering the Pentax line, I'd recommend the K100 over the K10. It is lighter than the K10 (not that the K10 is a heavy-weight, but when you have small kids and carting around a lot of stuff, every ounce counts), and (in my opinion) has less noise at higher ISO settings. It doesn't sound like you'll need the extra mp of the K10 (useful if you are into birding/wildlife photography where you'd be cropping the image significantly). The K10 has more features and options for fine-tuning them, but that's a double-edged sword. It is easier to get things out of kilter, and there's a whole lot more things to think about when you are taking pictures. The K100 is simpler to handle and has auto settings that might work better when you are grabbing your camera for a quick shot. I have both these cameras and have no intention of getting rid of the K100 (like having two camera bodies, got spoiled that way). The lens can make more of a difference with the quality of your pictures than the camera, so spending less on a camera and getting better lenses is always a good move (a mediocre lens will always give you a mediocre picture, no matter what camera its on).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 5:43 PM   #10

"If you are considering the Pentax line, I'd recommend the K100 over the K10. It is lighter than the K10 (not that the K10 is a heavy-weight, but when you have small kids and carting around a lot of stuff, every ounce counts), and (in my opinion) has less noise at higher ISO settings."

Yes, and it sounds like it's more in the price range she was considering. The K10D vs. D80 vs 30D jpeg processing debate probably isn't going to come into play unless she decides to spend a bit more.

As for the K100D, I think it has at least as sharp out of camera default jpegs as the D50 or 350D. The D40 is probably the most "consumer oriented" in it's jpeg processing. But all of these have enough adjustments available that that shouldn't be a big factor. The biggest drawback for the K100D might be the indoor automatic white balance tends to be a bit warm. But selecting tungsten indoors seems to deal with that reasonably.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote