Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:20 AM   #1

Hey guys, I hope that youwill all be able toassist meinchoicing out adSLR+ lenscombinationfromthe list below.

Should I get the -

Nikon D80 with the Nikkor 18-70mm

or

Nikon D80 with the Nikkor 18-135mm

or

Nikon D80 with the Sigma 17-70mm macro

or

Nikon D80 with the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8

or

Nikon D80 with the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM

or

Nikon D80 with the Nikkor 35mm f/2

or

Nikon D80 with the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 macro

or

Pentax K10D with the Sigma 17-70mm macro

or

Pentax K10D with the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 macro

?????????????????????????????????????????????

I am not specialized in any of the photographyareas: weddings, portraits, architecture, landscapes, sports etc...,but I will like to shootlandscapes, portraits, architecture, and close upsin ever better quality than before. Ialso like to depend on available lightingsto expose myphotos instead of using the flash, so Itend to favorsome form of image stabilization and lenses withlarge apertures. However, image stabilization is not set in stone for me and I can go without it if I have to. Last but not the lest, I also want nice"boke"that is easy to achieve. (I don't want to spend too much effort trying to get nice bokeh with a crappy lens) That's all for me, now for your recommendations!

Thanks for reading.
Camera_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2007, 3:24 AM   #2

Never mind guys, I brought the Nikon D80 with the new Sigma EX 18-50mm f/2.8 macro+ theSigma EX APO 50-150mm f/2.8 HSM: lenses which I did not even list+ a high speed 4GB SanDisk Extreme III SD card.

I couldn't even remember exactlyhow much I paid for everything; but money wasn't a factor, as I just wanted the best.

See you guys.

Just need tomention that the Nikon D80was a really excellent dSLR and although it is more expensive thatthe rivals, I think it is the best of all in features and performance; I was very impressed by it's speed and responsiveness.

I've got my money worth.

Camera_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 6:08 AM   #3

Very nice choice.

I was thinking you were going to need more than one lens to cover all of that.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 7:20 AM   #4
Administrator

That 50-150mm f/2.8 is a relatively new lens. Let others know how you like it. That combo (18-50mm f/2.8, 50-150mm f/2.8, will probably be a pretty nice setup for most uses, and you could always add a TC (teleconverter) to the 50-150mm if it's not long enough for some uses (i.e., outdoor sports, wildlife) to get a bit of extra range from it (at the loss of some light)..

You may also want to consider a brighter prime or two for when light gets too low for an f/2.8 zoom to be practical. A inexepensive choice would be the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF lens to start out with. Then, go wider or longer if needed with more later. Don't ignore the used market either. keh.com, bhphotovideo.com and adorama.com all carry used gear.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote