Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 2, 2007, 2:33 PM   #1

Hi

Guys, is the f40fd worth the wait basicly to get the sd card ? Aside from the slower speed is there any other disadvantage?

Thanks
njdag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2007, 6:14 PM   #2

What's up dag?

Last August, you bought an F30 and didn't like it...at least that's what you told us - the picture quality in bright sunlight was poor. You had 10 replies to that post and never came back with an answer. Then in November, you asked us for help choosing between the F30/F30D/F20 - what's up with that? You bought an F30 and didn't like it, then you want to know if you should buy an F30? Now you ask us whether you should buy the F31FD or the F40FD. And what do you have against xD cards? Do you think an SD card will make the F40 take better pictures than the F30? Maybe this is why nobody replies to your posts anymore.

It is Benjamin, isn't it?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 7:02 AM   #3

sorry you have me confused with someone else. Yes I have an f30 but it takes great pics in all light conditions. Just looking to upgrade away from the slower xd card and have to admit I dont get into the 3200 range much. I also like NEW stuff. So either you have something to say that will give positive input to the post or your just looking for an argument. If its the argument I dont have the time!!!!!

Besides if I want to know I figure someone else might also like the information even if I choose not to change.

Who is Benjamin ? My name is JIM and Italian to boot!!!!

Old Mar 3, 2007, 8:35 AM   #4

Sorry Jim,

I guess I had you confused with someone else.

http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...577920#p577920

http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...632818#p632818

Just out of curiosity, how much speed do you expect to gain by using an SD card, and in what application? It would seem to me that a camera line that is designed around a particular memory card format would perform better with that particular format. In the case of Fuji, that would be the xD card. Case in point, the S9000 can use both xD and CF cards. The xD is faster in all applications.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms9000/page5.asp

SD may be faster than xD, but there are different speed SD cards, and the faster SD cards are expensive. SD cards do not all perform the same in different cameras. And would the SD be faster than an xD in a Fuji camera? What are we talking as far as actual speed gain by using the fastest SD card? Will lag time be cut in half? Will burst rate double?

I knew you weren't Benjamin...he doesn't like us anymore.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 9:10 AM   #5

Hi Jim D,

The F40fd is more an upgrade to the F20. It doesn't have the manual controls or the stronger battery of the F30. It does get the higher resolution screen though from the F30. Otherwise, it's mainly minor improvements, like 2 more MP and the face detection technology. Not really much reason to upgrade if you already have an F30.

The F31fd was released in September as really a minor upgrade to the F30, I think just to add the face detection autofocus thing.

Did you ever upgrade your xD card from type M to type H? I think that's supposed to speed it up some. And they are more affordable than they were 6 months ago.

If you still want an outdoor camera to go with the F30, though, you might consider one of those Panasonic long zooms with the Leica lens. Seems to be a good combo to me. The F30 for the pocket, indoors, low light without flash, normal focal lengths. The Panasonics are a bit bigger with a long zoom, a bit sharper out of camera, IS, and excel outdoors. Like the new FZ8:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/pa...07_fz8_pr.html

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 1:22 PM   #6

thanksI think your probably right about the cards although most complaints about the fuji and olympus lines comes from the use of the xd card. Just looking to get the best bang for the buck. I just started looking at the Sony w100 gives you the optical viewfinder,sd card and some stabilization. What do you think about the w100 compared to the fuji f30/31/40fd ( now complied the fujies because the reviews are very similar, except for the speed on the 40)

JD
Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:17 AM   #7

I would tend to agree with Ken. If you already have a F30, why not spend your money on a superzoom rather than a slight upgrade.

Recently, I've seen the Panasonic FZ7 for as cheaply as £149. This is probably due to the FZ8 appearing soon.

I've found the FZ7 to be an excellent camera in almost all situations. The only real problem being I can't always get it into concert venues because it looks like a mini SLR. So, just before Christmas, I bought a Fuji F20 as my back-up camera.
mono is offline   Reply With Quote