Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 2, 2007, 5:05 PM   #1

I'm looking at getting started in wedding photography and my current gear just doesn't cut the mustard.
I've narrowed my options down to the Canon 30D or the Nikon D80...I've read a number of reviews of both so am relatively familiar with the different specs of each camera but any advice would be much appreciated!!
Bohun28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2007, 5:10 PM   #2

Either camera is quite capable. Your skill, the lenses, flash (and other lighting) and bracket will have a much greater impact on your success than whichever of these cameras you use.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 5:51 PM   #3

Just a couple things to think about.

Is there ANY possibility that you will be required to do any photos involving rain, snow or other precipitation. If so a D200 would be in order.

What is the equip that won't cut the mustard. Perhaps it will provide some backup in case of equipment failure. If its either Canon of Nikon, consider staying with that line and keeping what you have just in case. Weddings are the one place where there will be no "do over" if something does go wrong. You may have to pick up a cheap body incase of a failure such as a d50 or xt rebel. Just so it can use the lenses for the main camera.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 3:43 AM   #4

Yeah I suspect there is some chance of adverse weather conditions...but a D200 is out of my price range at the moment...we're looking at roughly NZ$1000 difference between 30D body and D200 body here in NZ...and I think closer to $1500 between D80 and D200.
I know the D200 is weather sealed and I know it has some pretty great reviews (although image quality still seems better with the 30D in the reviews that I have read and the test images I've seen...or am I just plain mistaken ?)
Old Mar 3, 2007, 2:22 PM   #5

Go to a local photography shopt and give them both a try with the lenses you are interested in for weddings. Get a feel for them, the location of the controls, and try them with any accessories you might be interesed in such as a battery grip. Then make you decision. Both are good cameras and should serve you well.

The 30D is closer in features and quality to the D200 than the D80, if that matters to you. The D80 is an excelent camera as well, just differenf features.

Keep in mind that which ever camera you decide on you are not choosing a camera. You are choosing a system. It is important to look at it as a system. I personally am a digital Canon shooter, having switched from a lifetime of Nikon F2 use. I went with Canon because of the features, abilitiy of the Canon over the Nikon for my interests.

I do however shoot with a well know wedding photographer in the area. He is an avid Nikon user (D2). I can easliy understand why. Outstanding quality with the Nikon. Examine the systems and decide which has the best/most wanted/needed accessories for shooting weddings. If you are serious about this you will upgrade bodies sometime in the future and will be well grounded in the system that fits your needs.
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 11:46 PM   #6

The gear that won't cut the mustard is a Sony F-828