Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 3, 2007, 8:21 AM   #1

Hi,

I attend a lot of concerts and would love to have a better memento of the experiences than a dodgy camera phone shot!

I've been looking into some of the super zoom compacts and particularly like the look of the Panansonic TZ* range.

The TZ1 can be obtained in the UK at the mo for about £150, probably due to the launch of the TZ2 and TZ3.

Does anyone have any opinions on these as to whether they would be good concert-going camera? I'm very open to alternatives if someone has another camera they use for this very purpose.

N.B. it has to be compact as I may have to smuggle the thing in!

Thank you in advance!
nickytgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2007, 9:22 AM   #2

Hmmn, that's a tough assignment.

If you're smuggling it in, that means you're probably not supposed to be taking pictures. Which means you probably aren't supposed to use a flash and might be noticed if you do. And if you can use a flash, you're not likely to be able to get into within flash range either.

For low light without a flash you generally want high ISO. The small sensors in digicams in general aren't good at this, and the Panasonics in particular aren't good past about ISO 200.

On the other hand the TZ cameras will give you the long zoom you are likely to need. And have IS. And nothing else is really going to give that much zoom in that compact a package. So it would be better than your camera phone. But you would likely have longer exposure shots where your subjects show alot of motion blur.

And the other cameras with enough zoom, or with larger sensors (like dSLRs) aren't going to be easy to smuggle anywhere.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 4:33 AM   #3

I'd really need more info before I can give you a definiteanswer. What size of venues are you talking about taking this camera to? I've found that most small clubs really don't care much unless you're trying to smuggle something SLR size in. Things vary a lot more with bigger venues holding say 2000+, especially if you're at the front of the queue and aiming to get on the barrier.

In my experience, I've managed to take (not smuggle) my Panasonic FZ7 into most venues and for the ones that I know to be stricter, I take a Fuji F20, but I do generally go to shows extremely early in order to get front row.

I've attached a Pany shot taken, not from the front row for once, handheld at 12x zoom (<3 image stabilisation).
Attached Images

mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 6:55 AM   #4

Hi mono,

The venues I am generally talking about are mid-sized. I'm not sure about capacity but as I notice you're from Livingston, maybe I can just tell you my typical venues... The Usher Hall, the Queen's Hall, the SECC, the Armadillo etc.

I'm probably talking about taking the pictures from distances between 10 metres to 80 metres away.

I had thought about the FZ7 but was concerned about the image noise reported in reviews. Your picture is great but I don't have your dedication to always get so close!
nickytgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 3:55 AM   #5

Yes, there is going to be a noise issue above ISO 200, although most Pany users don't seem to be too bothered about this. They just use Noise Ninja or whatever to sort it out.

Here's a link to an old thread by an FZ5 user that may be of interest to you.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...t=Pink+Concert

mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 9:00 PM   #6

How about a Canon S230 (Jagger at Giant's Stadium, Fall '06)

Just Kidding, it's a 4/5 yr-old camera. IS would be better for non-flash slow shutter photo.

I'd vote the Canon A710IS if you like AAs, 6x optical zoom and safety zoom, to get up to 24x zoom without loss in IQ. http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/psa710is/fea-2-e.html

Or maybe the Panasonic TZ1 to TZ3 if you don't mind Li-ion (I do).
reppans is offline   Reply With Quote