Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 5, 2007, 4:08 PM   #1

I've narrowed my search down to these two DSLR's as i've had a play around/look at them in the shop and they seem far better quality/feel than the canon 400D, Samsung etc. that i tried in the same shop.

So i'd really like to hear from Pentax K10D and Nikon N80 owners and basically sway me either way?

Your help would be much appreciated, many thanks in advance.

Blake.
Blakey101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2007, 5:37 PM   #2

What's your budget, what are you going to be usingit for?

Both cameras are excellent and will give you outstanding pictures. There's been quite a few discussions recentlygiving the benefits and drawbacks of both cameras, and why you might want to chooseone over the other (take a look at some of the recent threads).

One of the first questions to ask yourself is how important is image stabilization, and howbig is your budget. The K10 would work out lessexpensive if image stabilization is important to you, because the stabilization is in-camera soany lens is stabilized.Nikon puts their stabilization in their lenses, which means that youhave to buy their more expensive VR lenses to get it.Many people don't care about stabilization - it really depends on the type ofphotography you do and how steady you are.

I have the K10 and am very happy with it - stabilization is very important to me - I'm not as steady as I used to be and I use/handhold a 300mm lens all the time - something I wouldn't be able to do with SR. My budget is pretty limited, so it was nice to be able to use a couple of 25year old lenses that I had, plus I was able to afford to buy a top quality 300mm lens used.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 6:25 PM   #3

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
What's your budget, what are you going to be using*it for?

Both cameras are excellent and will give you outstanding pictures.* There's been quite a few discussions recently*giving the benefits and drawbacks of both cameras, and why you might want to choose*one over the other (take a look at some of the recent threads).*

One of the first questions to ask yourself is how important is image stabilization, and how*big is your budget.* The K10 would work out less*expensive if image stabilization is important to you, because the stabilization is in-camera so*any lens is stabilized.**Nikon puts their stabilization in their lenses, which means that you*have to buy their more expensive VR lenses to get it.**Many people don't care about stabilization - it really depends on the type of*photography you do and how steady you are.*

I have the K10 and am very happy with it - stabilization is very important to me - I'm not as steady as I used to be and I use/handhold a 300mm lens all the time - something I wouldn't be able to do with SR.* My budget is pretty limited, so it was nice to be able to use a couple of 25*year old lenses that I had, plus I was able to afford to buy a top quality 300mm lens used.

Well i study photography at college currently, and will be continuing in my 2nd year which starts in september, as well as this i like to casually take photos whenever i can really and try and create some creative photos that i can be pleased with....but i also aspire to be a professional photographer in the distant future, and believe a camera as good as the Pentax or Nikon can lead me to that if i take some good photos...

As this is not possible with my current camera (a Sony cybershot slim digi-cam) i am looking for a new 1...

I was initially looking at the Canon EOS 400D and Sony A100 but i have realised that for a bit more money i can get something that'll be alot better and hopefully last me longer...

I've been looking closely at the reviews of the Nikon and the Pentax and there really isn't much to choose between them, i don't think Image Stabilizatiion would worry me too much because i have quite a steady hand as i'm quite long so thats not a huge bonus to me, but is still something to take into account...

The only problem with the Pentax is that with my budget (of 750...approx. $1500 dollars)is that you don't get a particularly decent lens with it (only a 18mm-55mm lens) whereas i can get a Nikon for the same money with a 18-135mm lens...

I keep looking at the features for the 2 and am urring towards the Pentax because of the dust/weathering seals (it'll last longer) etc. but i just really can't decide and need some help.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 6:50 PM   #4

I'm a Pentax user myself, and here's some things that I've learned along the way. I've been shooting without image stablization, and don't think I'd need shake reduction all that much with my steady hands and technique. However, I'm getting a K100D because it does have shake reduction, which could help me out when I am in low light conditions without a trusty *pod.

Lenses can be a bit difficult at times to find at brick and mortar stores, as the demand is outstripping Pentax's supply rate (this should change once they get their new plant up and running). However, don't ignore those old lenses for Pentax film cameras. I've gotten a 50mm f/1.4 lens that works as a fully manual lens for my *ist DL, and it's become one of my favorite lenses; it was also pretty cheap. Also note that Tamron and Sigma make compatible lenses.

I would not be so quick to dismiss the kit lens. The DA 18-55mm kit lens doesn't have the reach of that 18-135mm you can get with the Nikon, but the kit lens is quite capable at its range. While I myself can't verify this, many Pentax users would probably say that a combination of the 18-55mm and 50-200mm DA lenses surpass the quality of that single 18-135mm.

Note that to effectively use the weather sealing with the K10D, you'll also need a weather-sealed lens. These are the DA* lens series, and haven't been released yet. The first batch of DA* lenses will start appearing at this year's PMA.

Anyway, both cameras are quite capable. If you aren't already locked down with a particular lens, you can go either route.
Attached Images

Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 9:42 PM   #5

Both cameras can do creative things and would be fine for photography classes. Both cameras will give you excellent pictures.

You do need to consider when you buy a dSLR you are buying a lens system, and those lenses will last longer than the camera will (I'm currently using lenses I bought in 1980, something that is possible with Pentax, while Nikon doesn't have as great of a backwards compatibility). Pentax has a nice lens line-up of fast primes, and are now addressing their weakness in top of the line zoom lenses. As was pointed out, there's always ebay and Pentax has made some really outstanding lenses in the past that are well worth picking up (for significantly less than new lenses, only thing is that those manual lenses will still be manual lenses - they won't suddenly become AF/AE. You can find used FA lenses, but since Pentax dSLRs have become so popular, they've gotten more expensive). There are pros that shoot with Pentax cameras, though there are far more that use Canon and Nikon. It might be an idea for you to get the Nikon now, since it seems to be more normal for the pros to use them. Besides, if you get a Pentax, you'll be trying to buy the same lenses I'm trying to buy, so could you please buy a Nikon?
Old Mar 6, 2007, 11:19 AM   #6

....and of course there is now the newly announced (March 5th - April delivery) 10 MP Nikon D40X which may prove to be a perfectly good alternative at a lower price (US$729 w/o lens or US$799 with an 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor lens.

3 fps up to 100 shots at 10MP
up to 3200 ISO

AND

the newly announced (for June delivery) Olympus Evolt 510

10 MP
in-body stabilisation
dust removal sensor
Live image LCD
2 NEW lenses
The E-510 outfit includes a compact, Zuiko Digital ED 14 – 42 mm f3.5 – f5.6 Lens equivalent to 28mm – 84mm in 35mm and can also come with an extra lens - Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f4.0-5.6 (80-300mm equivalent) (normal cost US$279).

US$799 - body only
US$899 - with 14-42
US$999 - with both lenses
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 2:31 PM   #7

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone helped me out with my decision...

After looking at the Nikon and the Pentax in my local camera shop and then after having my heart set on a Nikon you can probably assume that i went for the Nikon...

Nope...i went for the Pentax!

I thought the Pentax was alot more value for money than the Nikon as it has image stability, weather + dust proofing and at the end of the day, it is Pentax's Top of the range model, which the D80 isn't to Nikon...

Also got a 50-200mm lens on order with a local shop so that'll be brilliant for a longer depth of field from the standard lens i got with it (18-55mm).
Old Mar 7, 2007, 2:56 PM   #8

Oh darn, another person who has bought a Pentax (by the way, I'm a happy K10 owner) now competing for lenses! Come join all of us on the Pentax slr part of this forum, we are a pretty happy lot and there's lots of experience there to help you answer camera specific questions.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 12:19 AM   #9

Blakey101 wrote:
Quote:
I've narrowed my search down to these two DSLR's as i've had a play around/look at them in the shop and they seem far better quality/feel than the canon 400D, Samsung etc. that i tried in the same shop.

So i'd really like to hear from Pentax K10D and Nikon N80 owners and basically sway me either way?

Your help would be much appreciated, many thanks in advance.

Blake.
As the Pentax K10D is compatible with all of their earlier lenses and has SR and a fully resistant body against adverse weather as well as a 22 bit processor, wonderful grip etc.etc. I would opt for the K10D. Their new Star* Lenses are quite amazing as well.
Attached Images

benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2007, 3:11 AM   #10

K10d is a great camera - dont expect great jpgs though, it seems you have to use RAW in your workflow to get the best out of it

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pe...ew/index.shtml

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk10d/page18.asp
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote