Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 5, 2007, 7:51 PM   #1

need a camera that I can take pictures of a baby indoors without having to use flash ... have a Z612 kodak and that is the worst piece of ____ ... any other cameras out there that will do it for me other than a DSLR
minnieusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2007, 9:15 PM   #2

Post some pictures with exif data intact so we know what kind of environment you're working in.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 9:39 PM   #3

Indoor photos without flash require a lens with a large aperature (at least f/2.0, but f/1.4 would be better) in order to use a shutter speed that captures the subject without motion blur.

If you can find a camera that does that, and isn't a dSLR, then tell us about it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 12:32 AM   #4

The Fuji F20 or F30 would probably be the first thing I look at in that instance as I've read they are very capable in low light. I have no first-hand experience though, so I couldn't really say how good they'd be.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 4:58 AM   #5

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
The Fuji F20 or F30 would probably be the first thing I look at in that instance as I've read they are very capable in low light.
They both have a maximum aperature of f/2.8, but only at wide angle. I think that minnieusawill probably end up zooming in on the baby, so the photos will end up at f/5.6 or smaller. I think that'll need a the flash, unless the room is well lit.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 5:35 PM   #6

I took a quick look at the F20 review on Steve's. I checked that one because I've heard the F20 is easier to use than the F30 and is cheaper.

At full wide, the F20 is 36mm equivalent so that isn't too bad for shooting from a few feet away, like from above the crib or of someone holding the baby. The main draw of the camera though is it's excellent noise reduction. It starts at ISO 100, but even ISO 1600 looks good enough for 4x6 prints. Certainly not at the level of a typical 6mp DSLR, but better than any digicam I know of.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_.../fuji_f20.html
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 10:26 AM   #7

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Indoor photos without flash require a lens with a large aperature (at least f/2.0, but f/1.4 would be better) in order to use a shutter speed that captures the subject without motion blur.

If you can find a camera that does that, and isn't a dSLR, then tell us about it.
:lol:Me too, I wanna see one! Also let's not forget that fast glass alone will set you back more than most point & shoot cameras.

Anything that maxes @ 2.8 will require a flash or give you a noisy image (high ISO), pretty much a given.
Bailey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 10:32 AM   #8
Administrator

Bailey59 wrote:
Quote:
:lol:Me too, I wanna see one! Also let's not forget that fast glass alone will set you back more than most point & shoot cameras.
That all depends. You can usually pick up a bright 50mm lens in most lens mounts for around $100.

Heck, I got a working Minolta Maxxum 7000 35mm SLR + a Minolta 50mm f/1.7 Autofocus Lens + a Minolta 1800AF Flash + cases and manuals for a "buy it now" price" of $49 for the entire package on Ebay a while back. They're a bit more now (usually closer to $100 for an old camera/lens package like this), and sometimes you can pay just that for the lens.

But, the used market is full of bright 50mm lenses for dirt cheap (remember, this was the "standard" lens included with many 35mm SLR kits at one time).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 10:45 AM   #9

Quote:
But, the used market is full of bright 50mm lenses for dirt cheap (remember, this was the "standard" lens included with many 35mm SLR kits at one time).
Well unfortunately I'm old enough to not only remember the 50/1.8's that came standard but to have cut my teeth on just such setups :-)

IMHO they're not fast enough without bumping the ISO to 400 or above, 1.4 would be better & they're a bit more expensive.

Regardless the OP was looking for a P&S, haven't seen one of those with a 1.8 or a 1.4.

Given the concerns I'd be looking at diffusing the flash and/or getting more light.
Bailey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 11:00 AM   #10
Administrator

If I'm going to shoot indoors without a flash, I'm usually at ISO speeds ranging from ISO 800 to 3200 with my Maxxum 5D, even when using a brighter prime.

I rarely use ISO 400 indoors, even when I'm using a flash (so that I can pick up more ambient light at any given aperture/iso speed/shutter speed, for a better balance between flash and ambient). LOL

So, yes, a DSLR is a better solution if you really want to shoot indoors without a flash.

In a non-DSLR model, I'd take a look at some of the Fuji models that have ISO 3200 available. But, depending on the lighting, even that may not suffice for a subject that's not relatively still at the apertures available (and you'll have higher noise levels trying to shoot that way). So, an external flash may end up being a better investment if a DSLR is not desired.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote