Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 6, 2007, 9:48 AM   #1

Please ADVICE ME...

[glow=red]CASIO Exilim EX-V7 ? __or Panasonic TZ1-TZ3 ? __or Sanyo Xacti HD2 ?[/glow]
I want to buy a new camera (ev. camcorder) WITH VERY GOOD VIDEO MODE :
- 7 to 10 time OPTICAL ZOOM avalaible in video mode
- Good stabilisation
- Not to big : easy to take every day with
- Not to heavy video (mpg4 is not so good isn'it? is codec H.264 better?)

I search hard... and downloaded some VIDEO SAMPLES and LINKS in my website at this adress: ---> http://www.anjoyplanet.com/video/sample.html

(Till now I continue to shoot with my old but very good NIKON Coolpix 4500)

Thank's in advance (and sorry for my freench-english)

anjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2007, 11:17 AM   #2

Thanks for the link to the sample videos of the Casio EX-V7. They are GORGEOUS! The small size, CCD-shift image stabilization, and non-extending long zoom are also big points about this camera.

I notice these sample vids are taken at the highest non-wide screen setting (640 x 480 resolution, 6 Mbps video bitrate). For the same resolution, this is double the bitrate of the best quality setting on my Sanyo Xacti C6 (not HD1). The quality of the Casio at this setting is far superior, silky smooth with no jagged edges or fuzziness. I don't know if there is a big advantage with the H.264 codec of the Casio over the MP4 codec of the Sanyo, but at this high bitrate, I think any MPEG4 codecs (MP4 being one of them, also DIVX, XVID, WMV9 etc.) will perform extremely well with little compression artifact.

I wish Sanyo would offer a video bitrate higher than 3 Mbps on their standard video resolution (640 x 480) like the Casio - I know their processer chip can do it, but Sanyo only use higher bitrate in their high-definition models (1280 x 720 at 9 Mbps).

A rough calculation shows that at this setting (640 x 480, 6 Mbps) the Casio can store about 23 minutes of video per GB memory - only about 1/2 of what the Xacti C6 can do (41 minutes per GB), but still much better than most other digicams using MJPEG codec in their video mode. It supports SDHC cards so it can go above 4 GB, and making long movies will be no problem once the price of SDHC cards come down in the future. I would trade this fine quality for slightly less filesize (well, not 5 minutes per GB) any day!

The Casio can record video up to ISO 1600 sensitivity. I would like to see sample videos in dim light before I make up my mind. I find the low-light video performance of my C6 adequate to good, but other C6 users may not agree (however, you should know that there is a limit, even when you are using a proper camcorder to make movies in dim indoor condition!)

I would also love to see Steve's reviews of this Casio, with emphasis on the low light performance of the video (at UHQ (6 Mbps) and HQ (3 Mbps, same as the Sanyo Xacti C series) modes). Unfortunately, I find that many other review sites tend to ignore the video performance, while video modes are getting better in new models, and consumers start to take notice and want a 2-in-1 device.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 4:50 PM   #3

digitalcamerainfo's first impression of the Casio EX-V7 does not seem to be that good:

digitalcamerainfo.DOTcom/content/Casio-Exilim-EX-V7-First-Impressions-Review/Conclusion.htm

(remove the DOT from URL above, in case the link got asterisked)

Minuses on still photos - slow and hunting autofocus. I also wish the shutter speed is higher than 1/800. However, I still have high hopes on the video performance - but I need to see the low light performance first!

blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 8:57 AM   #4

Thank you very much for your interesting analyse.

I'm patiently waiting to have in my hands the Panasonic Lumix TX3 too...

It could be great to have the quality of the TX1 with a 28mm ;-)

A+

Old Mar 13, 2007, 10:30 AM   #5

SORRY mistake

I erase it