Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 6, 2007, 7:04 PM   #1

Hi everyone! Great forum! :-)

I'm mainly wanting a camera for outdoor shots - taking with me whist on walks/visiting display gardens etc. Macro is quite important as I'd like to experiment with this feature.

I've been wanting a S9600 for months now, but when I see it compared to the S9500 (I think...maybe it was the S6500fd?) it seems a bit too big in comparison.

I don't care for a DSLR due to the maintainence and costs of after purchases - I'm set on a Fuji.

Both the models I've mentioned have the same optical zoom and lens width right?

Thanks for your time!!

Paul
Pwallwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2007, 7:55 PM   #2

Paul,

The S9600 (S9100 in the US) is the successor to the S9500 (S9000 in the US), and has the same external dimensions. The S6000FD, is just slightly larger, but weighs a little less. Both the S6000FD and the S9100/9600 have excellent macro, down to 1 cm. They have the same lens (28mm to 300mm). The S6000FD has a different processor, and offers ISO 3200 capability. It may be a little better overall in low light situations. It has a larger LCD, a more powerful flash, and Face Detection (it's also less expensive). The S9100/9600 has a slightly larger sensor and a higher resolution (more MP's).

Either should serve you well. Good luck with your choice, and let us know which you finally choose.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 3:53 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply!

Whatever the camera was I was comparing the S9600/S9100 to was a lot smaller, with a big zoom lens. I'll have to see which one it was and report back.

The S9600/S9100 appeals to me because it's fresh on the market I think. I never realised how big it was until I went to handle it the other day. It's not so big that you would have trouble carrying it - just a little bulky compared to other hi-end P&Ss and even some less expensive DSLRS.

I'll let you guys know what I've gone for, by the end of the month as I'm gettin t for my birthday.

Cheers!

Paul :?
Old Mar 7, 2007, 1:31 PM   #4

Actually, the camera I was comparing it to (just remembered) was the Fuji S5600. It's a nicer, more compact size in my opinion. Are there any powerful zoom Fujis (around the same as the S9100)the same size?

Could you tell me what would differ in my needs listed in my first postbetween the S9600/S9100 and the S5600? Are they both good with macro, and landscape shots etc...? Apart from the obvious price difference...:lol:

I appreciate your help. I really need some direction as to which camera to get so I can use it at a Flower Show in early Summer. I'll need to get some practice in before hand of course...!! :G

Paul
Old Mar 7, 2007, 8:12 PM   #5

The S5600 is a good camera. It is a bit smaller and lighter than either the S9600 and the S6500. It has a good macro, which can focus down to 1 cm. On the down side, it does not have the wide angle capability of the other two (38mm vs. 28mm). It has a smaller sensor, and a weaker flash. None of those things may matter to you, other than the wide angle...but that could be a factor.

All should serve you well for your intended use. You are definitely on the right track regarding practice...the more the better.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 12:57 PM   #6

Thanks! I've just got to decide which of the S9600 and the S6500fd I'm going for now... If anyone else has any other opinions I'd love to hear 'em! :-)