Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 8, 2007, 1:11 AM   #1

Hello everyone -

Very newbie here - In a couple of months, I will be spending three weeks traveling through China, Taiwain, and Japan. I do not own a camera, so I have been spending hours each night reading up on digital cams and have narrowed down my selections to a few.

I do have a couple of musts, though -

*AA batteries - I do not want propritery batteries

*12x zoom

I like the Canon S3 IS, and the Sony DSC H2 - both are in my price range.

Is image stabilization a must?

Any suggestions? I plan on using this camera after the trip, as I am finding this photo thing quite interesting.

Sorry for my rambled post - thanks for your help.

sw

slim whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2007, 10:15 PM   #2

Slim. You don't say what your price range is but I'll guess up to US$500 from what you have mentioned. You'll certainly want a good camera for a trip like that.

You are going to need something with a wide range (at least 28 - 200 in 35mm terms) since you are going to be covering landscapes and wanting to get close too.

Personally I like the Olympus SP550UZ as it has an enormous range (28 - 500+), very fast fps and in-body stabilisation and some great reports (ca. US$450) whereas the new Sonys H7 & H9 start at 35mm I think it is - not the best for your landscapes, a 28mm is a must and look for at least 6MP models . There are quite a few ultra zooms on the market - look at them all and see which suits your needs better. Panasonic have some very handy pocket sized models if you need something that you can tuck away easily - but beware they have a lot of noise at 400 ISO so your night / evening shots might not be the best.

I've not mentioned dSLR's here - but if that is what you are looking for then the Pentax K100D kit with 2 lenses may be the way to go to get you kitted out with all you'll need for your trip (make sure you get a polarising filter for the lens too).

Why don't you check out Steve's best cameras. Remember to buy a couple of large capacity storage disks (min. 2 x 2GB or more unless you are taking a laptop or other hard disk storage device with you - I wouldn't take a laptop on that trip).

Buy yourself a Spider I think it is called (mini tripod that has legs you can bend or attach to anything) that will definitely help during your trip (easy to slip in a pack-back). Beware of pick-pockets in crowded places.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 5:23 PM   #3

Take a look at this camera. Can't be beat for this type of camera.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 12:35 PM   #4

gryphonslair99 wrote:
Quote:
Take a look at this camera. Can't be beat for this type of camera.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
....except it starts at 35mm not 28mm
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 9:19 PM   #5

Whatever you decide, decide soon! When you go on vacation, you don't want to spend time figuring out how to use your camera. Or being in the middle of nowhere when you realize that you should have more memory.

It takes time to figure out a new camera, and knowing how to use what you have is much more important than having the "best" camera.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote