Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 9, 2007, 7:12 AM   #1

Ive Just noticed WWW. SRSMICROSYSTEMS .CO .UK. have just reduced there price for the K100Dfrom £399to £349:G as from today (cheapest on line Uk I can find .) Toss up between this and Nikon D40 but I prefer the feel of the pentax any opinions on these two DSLR cameras welcome. Rodo
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2007, 8:44 AM   #2

That is a good price for sure. I have been lurking, reading, looking, but not made the jump into dSLR.

Am I right in thinking I saw a Nikon D40x - a 10 mp version??

cheers

dd
dumfriesdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 8:50 AM   #3
Administrator

dumfriesdick wrote:
Quote:
Am I right in thinking I saw a Nikon D40x - a 10 mp version??
Yes. It should start shipping next month. But, make sure you're happy with the lens choices available for it. It won't Autofocus with the vast majority of third party lenses available in Nikon mount since it does not have a focus motor in the body (the same applies to the D40). Ditto for lack of Autofocus with many Nikkor lenses (both new and used). So, if you wanted Autofocus with something like a nice bright Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF lens, you wouldn't have it with a D40 or D40x (no focus motor in that lens). ;-)

So, if you want Autofocus, you'd need to make sure you'd be happy with AF-S or AF-I lenses from Nikon (those with focus motors built into the lenses) or the more expensive HSM lenses from Sigma (those also have focus motors built into the lens). Here' the press release about it:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/ni...7_d40x_pr.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 9:19 AM   #4

Yes Nikon has a new but dumbed down again model soon it seems, But Nikon lenses are so expensive it seemsfor the D40 and no IS in the body like the Pentax I know JIM C got a Konica /Minolta DSLR and that also has IS in the camera thats whyI think I will gothePentax way and 6 mp is plenty for me (btw Sony is noisy they say:rollI want to get cheapPentax primes of old to try ( mega cheap on e bay uk) Also I think there is some very negative issues with the D40? as regards you cant use a lot of cheaper nikon lenses like you can on the D 50 or D 80 nikons, butI also read the Jpegs are not nearlyso good :-?on those two other Nikon models mentionedthat are able to useALL nikon lenses but I could well be wrong ?Rodo.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 9:26 AM   #5
Administrator

Actually, most rank the jpeg images from the D40 has being pretty good. They're going to be closer to what you'd get from a P&S model by default, which new DSLR users might like.

Nikkor AF lenses without focus motors will still work on these models. They just won't have Autofocus (although you would have focus confirmation in the viewfinder using manual focus with an Autofocus lens).

Old Mar 9, 2007, 9:32 AM   #6

Yes but I wonder how about the Pentax K100D jpegs are they as good or worse than the Nikon D40 ? Any one got both camerasand tested this Rodo.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 9:37 AM   #7
Administrator

See the sample images section of each model's review here. Some of the subjects were the same for both reviews.

Of course, they were not taken at the same time with the same camera settings (and that can make a difference) or with the same lenses (and lens choice makes a difference).

Old Mar 9, 2007, 9:58 AM   #8

Just my opinion, but the differences in jpg image quality between the various dSLRs is very small, and I've been very happy with the K100. If you want anti-shake, the K100 will work out cheaper. If that isn't important to you then choose the one that feels best in your hands.

A question for those who have the D40 - are the lenses that have AF motors bigger and heavier than those that depend on the camera body for focusing? One of the things that is attractive about the D40 is that it is lighter/smaller (one of the main reasons I didn't look at the D50 very long - too big and heavy). I was wondering if adding a lens with a motor on it would add more weight and bring the whole thing up to its competitors. Also, where is the motorlocated on the lenses (back by the camera?). Weight/weight distributionis always something to consider. Since all of photography is a compromise, it's always nice to know what your gains and losses are.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 10:21 AM   #9

hi rodo - talking of ebay, have you seen the SRS shop?

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/SRS-Camera-...QQftidZ2QQtZkm
dumfriesdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 12:18 PM   #10

Yes they are very well known for great service no nonsense people .I bought several point and shoot Konica/Minolta cameras before there, They are Pentax and other camera makedealers but known to favour Pentax when it comes to DSLR cameras as best overall brand (they told me) Been sellingPentax for over 25 years well SLR before of course.I have no personal conection to them but a proper camera shop /seller they are imo .