Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 10, 2007, 2:43 AM   #1

I have been mulling over about buying a dSLR, and it is great to read so many opinions here.

I have an old 35mm EOS and have two EF lenses the 75 - 300 and 28 - 80.

Will these lenses work well with the Canon 400D (XTi)? I would be happy to change horses to say Nikon or Pentax, but if these lenses work, then that could be the swaying factor!

dumfriesdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2007, 6:53 AM   #2

Any EF lens will work with the canon DSLRs
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2007, 8:04 AM   #3
Administrator

They will work.

But, they'll behave a little differently on most (but, not all) Canon DSLR models.

The sensor in most of the lower priced DSLR models [well, lower priced compared to the pro line anyway - :-)], is smaller than 35mm film.

As a result of this difference in sensor size, you'll have a narrower angle of view (more apparent magnification) for any given focal length. That means your lenses will appear to be longer on most DSLR models.

With a model like the Canon Rebel XT, XTi, EOS-20D, EOS-30D, your lenses will appear to be 60% longer.

So, a 50mm lens would behave more like an 80mm lens (50mm x 1.6 = 80mm). Just multiply the focal lengths of lenses by 1.6x to see what lens on a 35mm camera you'd need for the same angle of view.

Your 28-80mm would behave more like a 45-128mm when used on a Canon DSLR with a smaller sensor.

Note that Canon also has some models with larger sensors. For example, the EOS-5D has a sensor that's the same size as 35mm film. So, you'd have the same angle of view with your lenses on one as you would on a 35mm camera.

The narrower angle of view (more apparent magnification) that you'd have on most DSLR models is great if you want a longer lens. But, it can leave you lacking on the wide end (since your lenses will appear to be longer on most DSLR models).

So, it's probably a good idea to get a wider lens, too (with one of the models that uses a smaller sensor than film). That's one reason the kit lenses often included with DSLR models usually start out at around 17 or 18mm (so that you've still got a lens that gives you a wider angle of view).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2007, 8:13 AM   #4

Sounds like it could be a reason to buy the canon body plus a lens to get the wider angles then.

<edited> hang on - the 28 - 80 has a plastic mount - it is the original lens with the EOS 500.

Maybe I am not so convinced it is worth sticking with Canon, the search continues! Bring on the Nikon D80 and Pentax K10D...:?
dumfriesdick is offline   Reply With Quote