Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 13, 2007, 6:47 PM   #11

If you want reallypopping jpgs straight out of the camera, get Canon and skip the K10. I happen to prefer the more natural look of the Pentax, but that's my personal taste. If I want a picture to look like a Canon shot, I can do that through post processing, but it takes additional time, and for most of what I take, I don't want that look. If you prefer the look of the Canon's pictures, you won't be happy with the K10, who's "image quality" is more like the DS/DL. Besides, you can sell all your used Pentax lenses easily right now - as you've noticed, the prices of used Pentax equipment is reacting to supply and demand, and it's really high right now.

The K10 has it's faults, it isn't a perfect camera (but then, they haven't made a perfect camera yet). Buy it for what it is, not for what you hope it will be. And yes, having a professional review is nice, but if all the pictures that have been posted by us amateurs haven't pleased you, do yourself a favor and buy the camera that DOES please you. Otherwise you'll end up with a camera you hate.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 7:12 PM   #12

mtngal,

I can't imagine hating any of these cameras (K10D, D200, 30D), but your point is well taken. I think you also hit the nail on the head when you mentioned the choices that Pentax made on the JPEG side - that is a lot of what bothers me. And I don't want to always have to shoot RAW with its associated large file sizes, etc. to get the look I want.

I wish Pentax had set it up so that you could get either look - the film-like look you prefer or the more Canon-like look that I like. Then (assuming they fixed the availability problem) I would saythey do have the "perfect" camera. At least for me.

However, given those issues, I'll probably end up with a 30D and a bunch of expensive IS lenses.

Too bad really, because Pentax did make the right decision by putting SR in the body, in my opinion.
jaynlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 10:25 PM   #13

Before you give up on the Pentax, try to test one using both the bright and the natural mode - the K10 and K100 have much better bright mode (more saturated, sharper but not over-done) than the DS/DL did. Then make your decision from there, you might find the bright mode more to your taste - it's worth a try before you give up on Pentax.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 11:06 AM   #14

Steve, please include as many parallel and comparable (same time-same place) 'real life' sampels of K10D and its direct competitors (Canon, Nikon, Sony...).

P.S. (edit)
By the way, although I threatened with a rebellion, it wasn't my intention to start a civil war between different photo tribes with this topic.

mirkoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 11:21 AM   #15
Administrator

mirkoc wrote:
Quote:
Steve, please include as many parallel and comparable (same time-same place) 'real life' sampels of K10D and its direct competitors (Canon, Nikon, Sony...).

P.S. (edit)
By the way, although I threatened with a rebellion, it wasn't my intention to start a civil war between different photo tribes with this topic.
Sounds as if you think we have a camera store here, sorry but no. I'd love to do what you suggest but we send cameras back after a 30-day loan period so we don't havethe other dSLRs in the K10D's category to directly compare it to and can't do parallel sample images. Wish we could.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 11:42 AM   #16

Excuse me for bordering You with this unrealistic request!
Old Mar 16, 2007, 7:40 PM   #17
Administrator

The K10D review has been posted!

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2007, 4:05 PM   #18

HURRRAAAAA!
Old Mar 18, 2007, 7:20 AM   #19

mirkoc wrote:
Quote:
Maybe not same exact time, but if you look at Steves reviews he uses MANY of the same subjects/locations for his test/sample shots. Makes comparison rather easy... and something few do.... thanks for that Steve.

PS do those surf boards never move??? :-)
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2007, 5:49 PM   #20

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
mirkoc wrote:
Quote:
Maybe not same exact time, but if you look at Steves reviews he uses MANY of the same subjects/locations for his test/sample shots. Makes comparison rather easy... and something few do.... thanks for that Steve.

PS do those surf boards never move??? :-)
If You look better, there is an example of directly comparable sampels in Steve's reviews. But anyway, I can not find enough kind words to thank you for your OUTMOST HELPFUL remarks, what can I say, it was a REVELATION!

Please, keep going strong and thank You, thank You, thank You!