Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 10, 2007, 4:57 AM   #1

...please, please, please, pleeeeeeeeeease? :lol:
mirkoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2007, 6:41 PM   #2

Raise Your voice brothers and sisters!
Old Mar 10, 2007, 7:17 PM   #3
Administrator

It is in the works and will be posted soon.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2007, 7:25 PM   #4

steve wrote:
Quote:
It is in the works and will be posted soon.
Thank You Steve!

It appears to be a great camera, but there is a lot of controversy going on about it (SR and light metering).

Not to mention that Your reviews are great. Any chance of lens reviews?
Old Mar 11, 2007, 4:15 AM   #5

mirkoc wrote:
Quote:
there is a lot of controversy going on about it (SR and light metering).
IMHO the SR complaints are a ways off base. Many including some reviewers seem to think IS/SR is a cure all.

It is an aid, and its effectiveness depends greatly on how steady you are to begin with, as to how effective it will be.

If without SR you can't reliably get a sharp 1/15th exposure.... likely you might not even get good 1/4's with it. But I have found I can get good wide lens results reliably up to 7/10th sec, and sometimes even over a sec though that might take a couple of tries.

Another thing many don't consider is its aid in using long lenses at WELL under "safe" shutter=FL and stil have sharp stuff.

I can shoot my SIGMA 70-300mm (even w/Tamron 1.4x..... 1 stop effect... on it),and have it at its F/8 sweet spot, very reliably down to 1/90 and even 1/60 if careful at an effective 630mm FL. With out it it would have to be wide open, shallower/more critical DOF, and considerably faster, if not even highr ISO.

But when you get down to long exposure times though, it really stops becoming litterally about stops improvement, and really a sort of a remarable feat that it can pull off a 1 1/2 sec sec exposure and at least 4x6 reasonably (snap shot) sharp???

And while Pentax's claim of 4 stops is a bit optomitic , nearly or 3 is not out of the question if you are steady to begin with.

And again more than literal exposure time the biggest benefit I have found is using LONG lenses and very low (but still 80th sec or more) but not near what you are demanding of IS for 1.5 sec or even less)

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 3:16 PM   #6

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
IMHO the SR complaints are a ways off base. Many including some reviewers seem to think IS/SR is a cure all.......
Although (unfortunately) I have no experience with the camera, I believe your point is correct. It just seems that Pentax achieved to offer a great product. That's why I think a review on this site is so desirable (I suppose I'm not the only one) and will clear things out.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 9:34 PM   #7

I hope that review comes soon!

I am a Pentax *ist DS user looking to upgrade (already sold my DS)and I'm vascilating between the K10D, the Canon 30D and the Nikon D200.

I've spent HOURS looking at hundreds of images from each of these cameras on pbase. I realize that a lot of the differences are the photographers, not the cameras, but I'm looking for those photos that really "pop" out: great color saturation, gradiation, contrast, sharpness.

I have to say while all 3 are capable of great pictures, I see many more shots from the 30D where I say "Wow!", than from the other two cameras. Perhaps that is because more professionals use the Canon camera, I don't know.

But Steve, PLEASE post a review before I have to buy!!!!
jaynlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:46 PM   #8

Now..... could that have ANYTHING to do with just a LOT more 30D's out there????

And not a faint sight of a 40D even on the horrizon.... both C 30D and Nikon 200 are now aging technology.

In fact after the K100D success, the K10D even preorder took off Nikon dropped the 200 price.

Any doubt of how many think well of the K100D and K10D, just trying to find old Pentax lenses anymore... they few around are going for twice what they were 6-12 months ago. And unlike Canon and Nikon the P K's can uses just about any SLR lens every made for Pentax AND give them SR/IS as well.

I have seen a few VERY tech critiques of the K10D JPG implementation (which could later be firmaware changed) but all admit RAW is just fine.

Speaking of tech stuff, K10D out just 3 months, and already SECOND firmware upgrade, to fix some minor special case problems PLUS adding much further control flexiblity and options. Other than the HACKED Original Rebel Frimware to make it much a C-10D, the firmware for it was NEVER Canon updated.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 6:37 AM   #9

Who cares about how long the technology has been out or how often the firmware gets updated?

For me its about image quality first, and probably availability of lenses/accessories 2nd, and auto focusing speed 3rd.

Image quality:

From my observations, Canon has everyone else beat hands down - again after reviewing hundreds of images from each camera. Frankly, I was disappointed in the quality of the K10D images that I reviewed. I want to like the K10D so much - the weather seals, the anti-shake, just the fact that its a Pentax, but if the image quality isn't there, nothing else matters.

As for availability of lenses/accessories:

Show me a Pentax lens in the 28-200 or70-200 range that is fast (f/2.8) and sharp? (Show me anything like the Nikkor 18-200 VR!) The only one I could find was one the Pentax site itself here:

http://www.pentaximaging.com/product...ital_35mm_zoom

It isn't for sale ANYWHERE that I can find.

I have checked EVERYWHERE (not just browsed, but called, etc) to find an AF 540 FGZ flash. They don't exist. Ditto with the 12-24mm ultra wide zoom. Nowhere. With my *ist DS I waited MONTHS to get a silly remote shutter release from Pentax. Now I see they are out of stock everywhere again. I'm tired of not being able to get lenses &accessories and have to make due with 2nd rate lenses from some3rd party.

Auto-Focus Speed:

Canon is the clear winner here. The 20D focused SO much faster than my *ist DS, and the 30D is no different. When trying to focus on moving subjects, my *ist DS was pretty pathetic. I missed SO many shots because of this of my kids. Never again. I want a system that focuses fast. The 30D does. The K10D might be a bit faster than the DS, but it doesn't match the Canon.

Now, if I'm wrong here, show me I'm wrong. But I'm not interested in the frequency of firmware updates or how "old" the technology is. I'm only interested in how good it is, and if its available!

Old Mar 13, 2007, 3:19 PM   #10

Also, you mentioned Canon and Nikon's"aging technology".

Nikon and Canon have had high-speed lenses with USM screw-type silent motors for years now. Pentax is finally bringing out their first two examples next month.

Now, I'm not trying to bash Pentax here - I've used their cameras for years. But you can't accuse Nikon and Canon of having "aging technology" compared to Pentax. That's laughable!

Cheers!

Jay