Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 10, 2007, 6:43 PM   #1

Okay, so I've never met the Dalai Lama, let alone played golf with him, so I can't promise you total consciousness. But, a little help would be greatly appreciated and you can at least feel good about yourself today. Here's what I'm after...

small point and shoot
basic is good - don't need a lot of manual controls
IMPORTANT - takes relatively good video
I'm on a Mac so prefer quicktime, mpg4 - but can convert most types
Also highly value ability to shoot in low light...without flash
3rd on my list is picture quality. yeah, the better the better. but i won't be publishing in national geographic anytime soon.
good battery
$200-$250

here's what i've been looking at - which has brought me to the point of total confusion when i desire total...you get the picture.

canon sd630 (limits on video i think rule it out) $250
sony cybershot dscw55 $199
casio - just about all of them 600, 770, z70
panasonic lumix fx10, fx12 and others
olympus 740, 730, 750
nikon, fugi?

the list pains me. PLEASE HELP! THX!
ladyandscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2007, 7:28 PM   #2

OK...small point and shoot...good video...ability to shoot in low light without flash...$200-$250...

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_.../fuji_f20.html

Fuji F20...take a look...how's that for trimming the list?

Do you think there will be a 15th Dalai Lama?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2007, 7:33 PM   #3

I know you've never met the Dalai Lama unless you're Richard Geere, he's met him numerous times.

Fuji camerasare good, but not Fugi, stay away from Fugi cameras.
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:02 PM   #4

rinnie the hun, thanks for the pick. pretty much pinned the tail on the donkey as far as what i was looking for. and i would have never guessed to look at fuji or fugi so you did ur job and i hope you achieve total consciousness.

however, i have now learned that my price range is much higher (gift from mom) and i wonder if your advice would be the same? move up to the F30? or something else entirely. my new range, gulp, can be as high as $4-500 (for everything, big storage, maybe extra battery - though i don't think that would be necessary on the F20).

not sure why the huge boost but who am i to complain. though, i'm also not one to take advantage if there is not a good reason.

finally, i do think the Dalai Lama will come back for another go primarily b/c he can't control it. what will all those guys on the search committee do? and where would his followers go? it seems selfish and un Lama-Like to even suggest he won't come back. though i can understand his reluctance as the world is not very hospitable to those who preach peace & love and are full of wisdom.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:20 PM   #5

coldshot, how did u know i've never met the dalai? r u following me? do u work at the NSA? maybe it was just a good guess. or a lucky guess. b/c back in philly, 1992 i heard him speak and could have met him afterwards. grip and grin. but, the place where he spoke had a terrible sound system and he chose not use his translator. that combination proved lethal and instead of meeting the dalai lama, i can honestly say that i walked out on him. not one of my finer moments.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:42 PM   #6

Ah, if I had $500 burning a hole in my pocket...what small point and shoot camera would I seek? I can't think of anything better for your needs than the F30...except possibly the F31FD (adds Face Detection). A couple of extra xD cards...an extra battery...a card reader...yes...

Had you not walked out on the Dalai Lama, he might have told you his plans for the future...now, you'll just have to wait like the rest of us.

Good luck with your new camera.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote