Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 11, 2007, 9:23 AM   #1
CPD

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a small compact camera (probably either a Canon SD700 or SD800). My concern is that one of the main reasons I need the camera is to take on the ski slopes to get photos of people skiing etc which could be fast action shots.

Because most point and shoot compacts don't have shutter priority and the models I've mentioned above don't seem to have any action/sport shoot modes, I'm worried that taking action shots might come out blurredbecause you can't manually set the shutter speed to a fast setting.

Can anyone give any advice on whether they thinkone of the Canon SD camera's would be ok for these sort ofmore fast paced action shots?? I will also be using the camera for normal everyday point and shoot type shots.

If not, does anyone have any suggestions for other compact cameras that would be more suitable?

Thanks!
CPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2007, 5:20 PM   #2

You won't like my suggestion, but it is the only Non DSLR type camera I am familure with that would do the job. There are probably othes in this style that will work but they will cost.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 5:41 PM   #3

Boy, I bet having one of those sticking out of your pocket will make for an enjoyable ski trip!

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 9:09 PM   #4

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
Boy, I bet having one of those sticking out of your pocket will make for an enjoyable ski trip!

the Hun
Like I said, I knew it wasn't going to be popular. Pocket snapshot cameras and action photos don't mix well. Like sking on barrel staves. :lol:

I do know that it takes decent action photos. A friend of mine didn't want to mess with a DSLR and lenses so I pointed this out to him. He has taken some great shots of his high school age son playing football. He and his wife love it though and I am impressed with the quality of the photos they have taken.
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 6:56 AM   #5
CPD

Thanks for the reply and suggestion!

Thats probably going to be a bit too big for me I'm afraid - might hurt a bit if I fall on it on the slopes too(not that I'm suggesting I fall over a lot!).

I really liked the look and sound of the Canon SD700/800 but I've heard a few people saying that the pictures could be blurred for subject motion, especially if it uses the Image Stablisation. Has anyone else heard this?

I've noticed that the Fuji F30 has an action shoot setting and a shutter priority setting too which might do the job. Most people seem to rate the F30 but I've read a few reviews that say outdoor daylight photos can look a bit bland. Does anyone agree or disagree with this?

Does anyone know of any compact camera's like the Fuji F30 that have an action shoot mode or shutter priority, or both? I don't mind paying a bit more if it means getting something that will actually do the job.

Thanks for all replies so far!!
CPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 6:29 PM   #6

I am right with you CPD,
I bought the Canon Powershot SD550 in 2005 and i LOVED it! I didn't realize it at the time that it didn't have an action mode, and so when i realized that i was a little disappointed. But all in all it has been a GREAT camera!....until the end of Feb. when i went skiing. i left it out a little too long while is was snowing and ruined the screen. it still takes pictures fine but i can't see anything on the screen so it is useless.

If the lighting was good indoors it took pretty decent photos, but in poor lighting you had to use flash. I couldn't take action shots with it so that was the main thing. now that it is broken i've been searching for the perfect compact camera that is similar to the Canon powershot SD550 only with action modes also!
I don't know about the other cameras you suggested, sorry!
Wish you the best,
Katie

GottalovePhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 7:14 PM   #7

You might want to check out the Olympus Stylus line of cameras. All of them are weather-proof which means water-resistant and dustproof. A couple of them are actually waterproof and at least one is shock-resistant (5' drop to concrete.)
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 9:05 PM   #8

The Canon point and shoot cameras have a Kids & Pets scene mode that will open the lens all the way in anything but extremely bright light. All the manual modes and switches and dials in the world wouldn't give you a faster shutter than opening the lens all the way unless you want dark photos.

The SD 700 & 800 are quite good through ISO400. And that should give pretty good ski action photos in Kids & Pets mode for most lighting conditions.

Stabilization doesn't help for subject motion. If you are panning with the action it is usually best to turn the stabilization off unless it has a special panning mode for the stabilization. Stabilization does help in other limited light situations where there isn't subject motion though.

Contrast and saturation are set too high on the F30 for my tastes and there isn't any way to lower it. I think that is the cause of some of the complaints. The F30 LCD is difficult to use in bright sunlight and there is no optical viewfinder. I find it is a lot harder to quickly acquire and follow action without a viewfinder, especially when zoomed. The F30 wouldn't be my first choice for action ski shots.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote