Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:56 PM   #1

I'm looking into buying a new compact P&S to compliment my DSLR and I after reading about the glowing low-light performance by the Fuji Finepix lineup (F20, F30, F31fd), and the overly positiveremarks my sister gives me abouther F30,I got excited by the news that they had a new model to be released, the F40fd, just in time for me to be ready to buy one.

I had to do a double take when I read the price Fuji will be selling it for, $299. That is practically the exact same I would have to pay for an F31fd. What gives? How can a company overhaul the looks, menus, throw in two more megapixels, and still keep the same price tag?

Maybe it's just technology moving faster than I thought, but I thought features and price balanced each other and if you wanted to add a feature you either had to up the price or cut a different feature out. Why is Fuji able to sell the F40fd for roughly the same price as the F31fd?
borntoworship09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2007, 2:26 AM   #2

It's an update/replacement for the F20, not the F30. The F31fd remains the current update to the F30, and still has some better specs. Like having aperture and shutter priority modes, and a bit better battery.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 2:48 PM   #3

Now I have a second dilemna: which would I end up using more, the extra mexapixels of the F40 or the creative shooting modes of the F31?

I alreadyhave a DSLR that I love to shoot all my creative shots with, however I obviously can't take it everywhere with me. I want a camera that is ultra-portable, but isn't cheap on quality.

Right now I'm leaning towards the F40 for these reasons: first, I like to do alot of cropping, so the higher the MP count the better; and second, the reason I'm buying an ultra-portable is so I can have fun and remember the experiences through snapshots, Idon't want to be thinking about the next great "effect" shot I could take.

This is only my opinion, please let me know any thoughts or experiences you have either for or against this rationale.

Thanks!
borntoworship09 is offline   Reply With Quote