Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 19, 2007, 5:41 PM   #31

I think this topic has generated a whole lot of discussion without really answering the question at hand. When I was looking at these cameras (D40, D40x, D50, D70, D70s, and D80) I realized that the D40 is a very consumer grade camera. The D40x isn't exactly a joke, but it isn't necessary either.

Bumping up to 10 Megapixels isn't necessary unless you are going to be doing some really huge prints. And, if you have a big need for that, you are FAR better off just saving up for a D80. Not only will you be able to do big prints, the quality of your big prints is going to be better than what you could get from a D40x, and will be able to hold up to up-close scrutiny that invariably follows large prints. The fact of the matter is that the "upgrades" of the D40x are only going to better expose some its own shortcomings.

In regards to the D40 vs D50 debate:

The D40 is a newer camera. There is a lot of newer technology packed into it: a much higher-grade LCD, a better viewfinder, unlimited continuous drive JPEGs, and an overall much smaller package. Yes, alot of that is at the expense of something else, but despite its shortcomings, the D40 is a superior camera in many ways.
Meph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 10:04 AM   #32

On this and a few other threads several people have said that you should save up your money and get the D80 instead of the D40x. However, on Amazon, the D80 with the 18-135mm lens is only $170 more than the D40x with the same lens ($1160 vs $990). Am I missing something?

Also, I am considering one of these (D40, D40x, D80) as my first DSLR and am trying to compare image size/zoom factor with my C-750uz. Quite a bit of my
photography is nature related and the ability to get close with the camera is fairly important. However, print size is generally fairly small, so cropping is an option to assist in that goal. I have tried comparing CCD size/resolution and focal lengths and am having a hard time comparing. If there's a simple answer, how do the D40/x/80 with the 135 compare to what I'm able to acheive with the C-750uz (1/2.5, 63mm, 4mp)?

Any recommendations?

TIA
dwaldmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 12:23 PM   #33

by 'nature', do you mean landscape or wildlife? And if wildlife, do you anticipate doing more portrait type work or motion (i.e. bird in a tree vs. bird in flight).

If you're going to do wildlife photography, the 135mm lens (which equates to 202.5mm on film) is going to be very short. If wildlife photography is part of your needs, you're going to want at least a 300mm lens (450mm equiv) on your camera - even if printing small. Even with a 300mm lens you'll be doing a lot of cropping unless you're using a blind or a feeder or very skilled at getting close to your subject(s). So, if you're doing either type of wildlife shooting (portrait or motion) factor a 300mm lens into your buying decision.

If you are doing motion shots - birds in flight, focus is a critical feature. This works for and against a D40 solution. For it in the sense that you would want an AF-s lens or sigma lens with HSM for the faster focusing a lens-based focus motor provides - but against it in that the D40 / D40x has a lesser focus system than the D80 (and lest fps I believe as well). If you don't care about motion shots then the focus restrictions and frame rate of the D40 aren't a problem and spending less money on the body would allow you to spend more on the lens. The D80 will definitely be a better wildlife camera than the d40 if you take motion shots but remember you need a longer lens than the kit lens for that - unfortunately no easy decisions.

If you were not talking about wildlife but about landscape then again the shortcomings of the D40 probably aren't an issue. If you're talking landscape though - there shouldn't be a need to crop much - and since you stated you will be printing small I don't see where the extra mp of the D40x buys you much for your stated uses.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 9:06 AM   #34

John,

I appreciate your input. It's more landscape than wildlife. Of course, who doesn't want to shoot the occasional endangered species they come across but that is not the primary use. I think I will probably go with the D40 and 18-135 lens, expecting that someday I'll get the 70-300 VR. If I was going to spring for the D40x I would most likely spend the (relatively) few extra bucks and go for the D80. I may still, but probably not.

thanks!
dwaldmann is offline   Reply With Quote