Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 18, 2007, 10:46 AM   #11

I was facing the same dilemna and chose the G7 mainly for its size. The full manual controls are great to work with but I have serious problems shooting through the view finder, especially at the zoom end. I keep getting wildlife pictures with only half an animal.:XI had read that the viewfinder wouldn't capture the whole image but hadn't expected this at all. My other Canon P&S never had this problem. So I would say go DSLR, that's what I'm going to do next time and keep the G7 as a very versatile backup camera that fits in my pocket, which I think is more the role it is suited for anyway.
socom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 11:02 PM   #12

jeffh129:

There are some terrific websites for the G7 that offer more hands-on advice than any manual or most books probably could.

Search for:
"My Canon G7" - there's a whole series of tutorials and tips, and lots of sample photos.
"Richards Canon G7 News & Tips" is also very useful.
There are several comparisons of the G7 with other cameras and lots of links to various forum discussions of different aspects of the G7 at "Digital Photography Notes" - search for Canon Powershot G7 there.

My G7 has been ordered and should arrive tomorrow.

The Pentax was definitely on my "short list" if I'd decided to increase my ultimate budget for an SLR with more lenses and accessories. But my greater need was for portability and ease of carrying a smaller camera; long-term, I'll use it more as a result. Short-term, it'll be easier to travel with.
avwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 9:28 AM   #13

A search did not reveal any link to" Richards Canon G7 News & Tips." Can you provide me with the URL?

Thank you

jeffh129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:18 AM   #14

www.w4rmk.com/canon/G7/shootout.asp

scroll down for a review, sample photos and operating tips; the top portion is mostly updates on accessories he's tried or had recommended for the G7.
avwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 6:10 AM   #15

well , either you choose the pentax or the canon , youlle get a great camera to learn on , i recommend the canon g7 , it a bit easier and also cheeper as i saw

[SPAM REMOVED BY MODERATOR]

david.clark80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 9:06 PM   #16

I ended up purchasing a G7. I had been using a G2 for several years. Of course I'd never taken it out of the "auto" mode. Hopefully I will actually "learn" with the G7. I do have a nice Speedlite 420EX which I used with the G2 and will use with the G7.

The Pentax K100d would have cost about the same. However I'd have needed a new external flash and I had my eye on the zoom lens offered in their rebate program. So the Pentax would have ended up costing about twice as much if I'd gone that route. Plus because of my trifocals I wasn't sure how I'd adapt to the viewfinder, even with the diopator adjustment accessory lens that I had to convice both the store and the Pentax Rep that it actually existed. ( Hey guys look on page 192 of the manual, under accessories, you DO sell it, you really do) I did try out the adaptor tonight, and it didn't make much difference. Plus they are charging me $35.00 fed x charges to have the adaptor sent to the store. I'm fighting that. I'd pay 8.00 or 9.00, but 35.00, for a piece that I didn't even keep. They told me that's what Pentax charged them. I' d better get some satisfaction or I'll take the camera back and purchase it online.

But I wander...sorry.

So the G7 should work for me. If I do follow through with my desire to learn how to shoot good photographs I could always upgrade to a dslr in the future if I feel the need. If I don't learn, I'll have an excellant point and shoot camera.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Each one got me thinking.
jeffh129 is offline   Reply With Quote