Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:37 PM   #1

I have read about nearly every camera known to man , and all I feel is :?!!!

I am not a pro, but I am an avid photographer... I take TONS of pictures. The subjects of most of my pictures are my children, and I also take quite a lot of photos for ebay auctions. I like to do natural portrait style shots of my children in natural light and love to turn off my flash whenever possible. I have been learning aboutusing shutter speed, aperture, and ISOthrough experimentation and trial and error with my Canon S1is. I have had the S1is for two years and I HATE it. No matter what I try, I cannot get a usable or focused shot most of the time indoors at all. I don't know if it is me or the pitiful lack of a AF assist lamp, but it is terribly frustrating and I am just done and ready to move on to something else. Before digital, I used several Canon Rebel SLRs, and LOVED them. My pictures with the Rebel were gorgeous.

The most important thing to me in a camera is great prints. I have a scrapbooking business and use my photos in my albums. So great image quality, color and sharpnessfor prints is the #1 thing I am looking for. Price is also a major factor, if it wasn't I would be getting the Canon Digital Rebel XTi that I really want. But, seeing as that will have to remain on the wish list for the moment, I am at a loss as far as what to get.

I have looked at a ton of cameras, right now I am considering the Fuji F20, S600, and Kodak 612. I would certainly consider something else, though. I am leaning away from the S6000 although it may be the most powerful camera of the group, simply due to the price tag and the size. I am thinking that if I do get a DSLR down the road, I would like to be able to use this camera I'm buying now as a take along camera, and the S6000 is about as big as the rebel XT so it wouldn't serve that function, basically I am thinking that the F6000 is just on the list because it is a cheap excuse for the camera I realy want (the Rebel Xti).

So if zoom doesn't trump the list (it is nice but image quality comes first for me), and I have to buy a P&S, and the cheaper the better as long as it is nice, what camera should I get? The guy at my local camera shop said the F20 is a really good camera, but the girl at Best Buy (who did actually seem to know something about cameras despite it being Best Buy) said that when they carried Fujis, they had complaints about the print quality, and the F20 was one they carried.

If you have read this far, BLESS YOU! Any advice? In case you can't tell by my long rant here, I am getting very frustrated looking because everything has a down side and I don't know how to choose which bad features I want along with good ones.

Thanks!

Jen
abbiesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:39 PM   #2

Oh, and one more thing... do you think the natural light setting and high ISO performance of the Fuji F20 tips the scales in its favor given that I love to turn off the flash and use ambient light whenever I can?

Jen
Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:53 PM   #3

How about the Digital Rebel XT? Now that the XTi is out, the older XT is falling in price. You could reuse the lenses from your film Rebels to save costs.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2007, 10:01 PM   #4

That is an excellent thought. I just looked and it is still a little pricey for right now, but doing what you suggested would certainly speed up the timetable for getting my DSLR! If I was going to do that and wanted to just get a camera that I could use as a take out to the park, zoo, etc for snapshots with great image quality once I have the DSLR for "higher" purposes (LOL!), what camera would be a good P&S choice?

Thanks for the help!

Jen
Old Mar 18, 2007, 10:30 PM   #5

I can understand the F20, as it has excellent low light capabilities, but the Kodak 612? Unless I'm thinking of a different cam, the 612 is a mega-zoom that can only utilize ISO 800 at 1 MP resolution...not in keeping with your quest for available light photography, nor a 'take everywhere' cam. You didn't mention your budget, but have you ruled out the Fuji F30? Excellent in low light situations and adds aperture and shutter priority, which the F20 doesn't possess.

And do you really believe the girl in BestBuy? Print quality? How can that be?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2007, 12:21 AM   #6

Yes, you are thinking of the right 612- it is a superzoom. I think it is only under consideration because the zoom is the only thing I really like on my S1is, and I would love a lot of zoom if I can get one with great image quality and if I am not getting a DSLR soon.

The F30 looks great, but it is about $100 different from the F20. I am asking honestly because I don't know, is the ability to set shutter speed and/or aperture priority important enough to move up $100? Like I said before, I am an amateur, so I don't know all this stuff through and through. But having said that, I have been really learning a lot playing with the shutter speed and aperture priority on my S1is.

Here is a question: if I do not get a superzoom but instead get something around 3x like the Fujis, what practically speaking will I be cutting out? Can I shoot kids soccer, dance recitals, and general kids life, portrait type photos, and macros equally as well without a lot of zoom? ( I think, just typing the question, that I know the answer but I would love to hear from those more knowledgeable than myself.)

And by pocket camera, what I really mean is can I stick it in my purse or backpack without a ton of bulk and weight... not really is it ultacomact and can I stick it in my jeans pocket. I would classify the Kodak z612 as small enough, but the Fuji s6000 is way too big and heavy for me to think of it as a take around town type camera.

Thanks so much for your help!

Jen
Old Mar 19, 2007, 12:23 AM   #7

And no, my inclination is not to believe the girl in BestBuy. However, I am utterly confused and stuck in spinning my mental wheels, so I think she got to me Maybe just need to hear that the print quality is good on the Fujis.

Jen
Old Mar 19, 2007, 5:36 AM   #8

Jen,

You need to seriously regroup and determine what format camera you really want, and what features are most important to you.

1. A camera that will fit in your pocket - or - doesn't matter
2. A mega-zoom - or - doesn't matter
3. A camera that is good in low light without flash - or - doesn't matter
4. I'm not even going to mention a camera that makes good prints, because cameras don't make prints...printers make prints.
5. A camera that doesn't cost more than $200 - or - doesn't matter

If I was looking to buy a good all around P&S camera, I would buy a mega-zoom. It would have to posses better than average low light capabilities. I would buy the S6000. If I was looking to keep size and price to a minimum (and still buy a mega-zoom), I would buy the S5200. If I needed to buy something to put in my pocket, I would buy the F30. But this is only my opinion - you need to consider what matters most to you.

Good luck with your choice.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote