Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:25 AM   #1

I currently have a Panasonic FZ7. I am no where near a professional or even avid picture taker (this one probably because I never have my camera with me). I will be going on a trip in May and would like a smaller camera for this trip, which will also hopefully have me taking more pictures as I will be able to keep it on me more.

Price: $300 or less

Size: Pocketable, or smaller then the fz-7

Features: Not really looking for anything in particular, though image quality is at least an 8 out of 10. I do not believe I will be making prints larger then 4x6 though if I do ever print at all.

Useage: All around general useage. Hoping that a smaller camera will allow me to keep it on me more to get some more shots.

Misc: I am not particular to any brands. The only camera I have really looked at is the Panasonic TZ1, mainly for the longer zoom... though that isn't a necessary feature.

Thanks,
Flak

Flak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:26 PM   #2

With a $300 upper limit there are lots of good smaller camera available. I suspect that why no one's volunteered any help. If I were you I'd start Steve's Best Camera list which has a sublist for pocket cameras. Look at the reviews for those camera against your needs. That should give you a short list, try to actually handle the cameras on the short list, run them through their setups and menus and see what works best for you. If it feels right in your hands and is in the $150-$300 price range it will probably serve you well.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 8:10 AM   #3

my mother justgotthe tz1 , its realy compact and friendly to use. the TZ1 also features MEGA Optical Image Stabilization to reduce blurry photos caused by an unsteady hand .

[SPAM REMOVED BY MODERATOR]

james.allen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 12:11 AM   #4

Flak-

Why not take a good look at the Panasonic LZ-7. 7.2 mp, 6 X optial zoom. It has a lot of great features. Amazon has it for $199.I ordered one.I will give you an update on Monday (04/02)whenI receive it. Stay tuned.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 8:18 PM   #5

Flak-

Here is my promised report and sample photo from the Panasonic LZ-7 The LZ-7 camera is quite small, uses 2 AA sized batteries, has 7.2mp, uses the new Venus III processor, andhas a built-in lens cover.

The IS seems to work well and I have sucessfully hand held shots taken at 1/20th second shutter speed. this shot was taken inside using ISO 400 and no flash.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

Old Mar 31, 2007, 9:55 PM   #6

The Fuji F31 makes a nice combo with the FZ-7. They're both really good at opposite things. If you need alot of zoom outdoors, you might grab the FZ-7. The F31 is great indoors, still good outdoors, and more pocketable.

I'd also look for the new Sony DSC-W80, which is a bit thinner and more stylish than the F31fd, but without as much manual control.

And the Canon SD700IS is sort of last year's model at this point, but at about $300 now, still a worthy choice if you want a good point and shoot with IS.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 11:47 PM   #7

If I were you, I could go for the following cameras:

- Canon PS G710mp

- Nikon Coolpix P5000 10mp, or

- tough Olympus S770SW 7mp

Good luck
kombizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 6:51 AM   #8

Consider the TZ3, the upgrade to TZ1. It starts with a wide angle 28mm lens, and has 10X optical zoom. Reviews say that the image quality is pretty good with less noise than the TZ1, and a useable ISO up to 1250. Its also very pocketable.

Shahmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 10:41 AM   #9

However, dare I say it: price or budget always becomes a part of the equation leading to a purchase as well.

In thenearly $200 classand the size of a pack of cigarettes, or smaller, you have:

Kodak V550: 6mp, 3Xoptical zoom,optical viewfinder and 2.5" LCD, No IS

Panasonic LZ-7: 7.2mp, 6X optical zoom, LCD viewfinder only, 2.5" LCD, IS, aa Batt

Fuji F-20: 6mp, 3X optical zoom, LCD Viewfinder only, 2.5" LCD, No IS

Nikon L-5: 7.2mp,3X optical zoom, LCD Viewfinder only, 2.5" LCD, IS, AA Batt

Pentax M-30: 7.2mp, 3X optical zoom,

In the nearly $300 class and somewhat larger than a pack of cigarettes, you have:

Panasonic TZ-3, 7.2mp, 10X optical zoom, LCD Viewfinder only 3"LCD, IS, 28mm

Fuji F-40fd: 7.2mp, 3X optical zoom, LCD viewfinder only, 2.5" LCD

I probably did not find every one on my quick scan, but there is a starting point for you.

MT/Sarah