Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:43 PM   #1

I am looking at the Olympus SP-550 UZand the Fuji S6000. Can anyone give me their thoughts comparing the two? I know the obvious: manual zoom vs. electronic zoom; hotshoe versus no hotshoe; CCD versus Super CCD sensor (your thoughts on this?); 10x zoom versus 18x zoom; image stabilzation versus none. What I am most concerned about in these two cameras is: 1) photo quality in low light, 2) noise levels, 3) the effects of no optical image stabilzation in the Fuji versus how the Olympus does. In general, which is best and why? Is there a better camera in this classas compared with these two cammeras, especially as it relates to noise and blurry photos?
jiaozi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:57 PM   #2

Right now, I'm trying to make the same decision. Using the parameters that you have set down so far, S6000fd would be your best choice. No ultra zoom have better low-light or noise characteristics. Many ultra zooms may equal the S6000fd at their lowest iso settings, once you get to iso 400, it's in its own league, thanks to its 1/1.7in sensor. Unless you shoot telephoto shots most of the time, you are not going to miss Image Stabilization as much as you think. My problem is that I plan to use my ultra-zoom when I'm traveling. The only bigger ultra-zooms are the Panasonic FZ50 and the S6000fd's big brother S9100. For me, I like the S6000fd for picture taking, but do I want to lug that big camera all over the world? That's my problem.
Deadzone1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:15 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply. I want to travel with mine, too, but would rather carry one of these cameras than an SLR and the extra lenses.

Are you saying that the noise level in the Fuji isn't bad? Even in photos taken at low light? And that you can get a sharp photo in low light, too, w/o it being blurry? Those are my concerns and I thought I read something about the noise level not being so great with the Fuji S6000.

Also, isn't the only difference in the Fuji S9000 and the S6000 that the S9000 has a hotshoe?
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:18 PM   #4

Hi again...one more question. Is the 1/1.7in sensor in the Fuji S6000 that much different than standard CCD? I've just recently heard about it but don't know much about it. I think it's in the S9100 too, right?
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:29 PM   #5

It's the same sensor as in the F30 and quite similiar to the sensor in the F10 that I own. This sensor allows you about 2 extra stops by allowing you to raise your iso. An image from the S6000fd shot at ISO 800 will be similiar to one shot at ISO 200 in most ultra-zooms. In short, you could shoot indoors without a flash in most social occasions with a Fuji that has this sensor. I don't think the 9100 has this sensor. The S6000fd has a better lowlight sensor than the 9100. I wish to take back the description size of that sensor, 1/1.7. It's really called the super CCD. It is the same size as most sensors, 1/2.5, but its ability relates to that size. I'm sorry about that.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:32 PM   #6

Thanks. Do you know of any "cons" for the Fuji S6000?
Old Mar 21, 2007, 12:41 AM   #7

The size and bulk of it compared to other ultra-zooms. Average EVF - good only for framing, useless for manual focusing. In my research so far, almost everyone who got one loved it because of its image quality and lowlight ability.

Go to this site where a person was comparing the SP-550UZ and S6000fd.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=22340421