Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 21, 2007, 8:05 AM   #1

Of these two cameras I am interested in knowing how one answers this question:

If I take a picture and then want to crop the picture, lets say to 50% it size, and still get a very good high quality picture, which camera is better?

The A710 (7 MP, IS, 6x optical) will allow you to zoom 2x farther than the A640 (10 MP, 4x optical, no IS) but the A640 will allow you to capture 3 MP more of data. So if you have full optical zoom with the A710 and then cut half would you get 3.5 MP? And similarly, if you do that with the A640 it seemsyou need to cropto 1/3 of the picture to get the same size, meaning you would have 3.3 MP. DoI have this right or am I looking at it too simply? If that is true then it seems the A640 might be the better choice since you might rarely use full optical zoom, especially indoors.

But on other hand, if you are indoors would it be more advantageous to also have access to IS?

Thanks for any input!
zzmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2007, 5:27 AM   #2

in any decision you choose to make , have a look at these great canon offers on ebay

[SPAM REMOVED BY MODERATOR]

david.clark80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 12:44 PM   #3

Hi zzmiller, I am more interested in A-640 mainly b'coz of 1) more pixels thus have an advantage of free editing like what you said - cropping etc. 2) Value for money.But here I would also like to state that "Image Stibilizing is absent" which is offered in A-710IS.Now for indoor shooting, Image stabilzer is ofcourse an added adantage, but personally I won't strech that feature too far,for indoor one has to see whather the "inbuilt flash " has good Guide number so as to get an even lighting..In fact My tussle is always with G-7 & A-640. B'coz in G-7 there is a facility to put the external flash(but G-7 is expensive) So I am down to A-640 as a compromise.
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 2:50 PM   #4

I'm inclined to favor the 710 because I'm always looking for more telephoto and optical IS is a definite help in the telephoto range. The IS is also an advantage in low light when taking photos of stationary objects which I also do fairly frequently.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 7:02 AM   #5

Hey mcliu and ac.smith thanks for the response. I also asked this question in another forum and you might be interested in the comments given. Hopefully you can follow the link.

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29905
zzmiller is offline   Reply With Quote