Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 22, 2007, 8:31 AM   #11

Quote:
You probably can build one but it may cost alot more than most people are willing to pay.
:-)Yeah, if they'd only let the consumer design the stuff!

As others mentioned it's a matter of priorities - what's most important? You mention "at a distance" which means a super zoom............but unless that's indoors @ a distance (like a basketball game) then there's no real need for high ISO performance. If it's indoors & not at a distance (like family shots) then likely you don't need a superzoom. Don't forget that things like image stabilization help a great deal, negates to a certain extent the need for higher ISO.

It's all a matter of priorities, determine where most of your shooting will occur & then try to find a camera that matches the best.

Examples -

Want to shoot the occasional movie? The Canon S3IS is a good choice. movie performance is reputed to be good.

Need to shoot indoor basketball games? The Fuji is a good call has the best high ISO performance.

Save a few bucks & have outstanding image & color? Kodak's line can do excellent work @ low ISO settings.

None of these are "bad" cameras, they'll all produce excellent results. It's a simple matter of picking the best choice for your needs.

Remember photography is about 80% the indian & 20% the arrow. Most folks around here could do better with a pinhole camera than I could with a high-end DSLR :-)

Don't forget to factor in things like memory & batteries. For example, I won't own ANY camera that uses a single function memory format - why they'd use it is beyond me. Like xD, though not truly expensive it's the highest cost/MB around (because it's single function) = I'll pass (note: that's a personal decision, just MY .02). Can I walk into any drug store & pick up an emergency battery?

All things to consider and there's TONS of choices :-)which can make it difficult.
Bailey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 9:13 AM   #12

No joke Sherlock! It's enough to drive you to drink. Okay, I slogged through the reviews on the H2/H5 and the s6000fd and like some, I don't want to get stuck with an expensive storage format and a problematic battery situation. I am going to sit tight and hope that the reviews for the new Sony and Olympus hit very very soon.
Farmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 9:43 AM   #13

It can definately give one a headache.

To be clear, it's not like any of the memory is really expensive (I ain't telling what I paid for my 1st 1gb card :-)).....just more so than others. AA batteries are good, can get them in any drug store & rechargables are cost effective.

Here's a decent sp550 review http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ol...ew/index.shtml
Bailey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 9:54 AM   #14

Farmgirl wrote:
Quote:
...I need to be able to print high quality photos in 3 x 5, 4 x 6 and 5 x 7 (and even smaller actually than 3 x 5). I understand that a beautiful sharp clear picture on the computer screen does not always equal the same when printed.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated...
Often, what people think of as sharp photos are those that have been post-processed with unsharp masking. That amazingly crisp focus that you are attracted to may not be a property of the camera at all, but of the processing that was done to it after the image was acquired. FWIW

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 3:16 PM   #15

Tclune brings another factor into play - post processing. The internal image processing of most DSLRs assumes that post processing will be done and the normal P & S assumes very little or no post processing. The super-zooms are somewhere in between andsome manufacturers even bias different models differently. Kodak biases the Z612 more to the P & S side while biasing the P712 more to the post-processing side.

If I'm reading correctly you seem to be interested in printing directly from camera/memory card without putting the images through a computer. This precludes any heavy duty image processing so you might give weight to Bailey59's comments on Kodak.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 3:28 PM   #16

Well, that's not entirely true. I probably will use the computer for editing most of the time. Also, I want to be able to take decent movies. Having read what's available on the new Sony and Olympus I am leaning heavily to the Sony barring anything glaring that occurs when tested by the pros.
Farmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote