Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 21, 2007, 6:25 PM   #1

My old XD7 Minolta gave up and I'd like to go digital at this point. Is there an affordable (around $300) camera for photographing small to medium sculptures ( from 3 to 24")? I'm used to taking pictures in sun light and without a tripod but I live in the Mojave now where the light is extremely bright. Is the Fuji s6000 a possibility for the desert light? I like to have some manual control and not just p&s.
Any suggestions?
rmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2007, 9:35 PM   #2

Virtually every P & S digicam on the market today between $150 and $300 will meet the requirements you laid out as far asyou have defined them here. Your expected exposure conditions will likely end up to be an aperture of f8 and a shutter speed of 1/720 secusing an ISO of about 80. This is within the exposure limitations of everything in that price range. Between the macro range and the normal range you should be able to frame the object sizes you mention.

What is the intent of these photos? If it is to produce a web catalog or photos for on-line sales the answer above holds. If it is to produce professionally printed, large format glossy catalogs then a DSLR is in order but that's going to blow your $300 limit.

Within the P & S camera group having six or more MPs will allow some cropping to improve framing on the smallest objects.

Basically read Steve's best in the 6-10 MP range and you'll get a good camera. Many of the upper end (close to your $300 limit) have manual settings as well as scene/program settings.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 5:54 PM   #3

It is only for a website. Many thanks for your input!!!
Old Mar 25, 2007, 2:50 PM   #4

I tried to simulate some of the conditionns you've identified. This ceramic salt shaker is 2 3/4" tall and it was a sunny afternoon about an hour ago. This was in macro-wide, aperture priority and the rest of the data is in the unaltered exif data.
Attached Images

Old Mar 25, 2007, 2:55 PM   #5

Macro-tele. These are simply record shots done with my Kodak Z612 and I believe they will be fairly representative of this class of camera.
Attached Images

Old Mar 25, 2007, 8:24 PM   #6

Looks sharp, very nice. I appreciate the effort.
I am still considering the Fuji s6000. A lot of people seem to be happy with it.

Old Mar 25, 2007, 9:01 PM   #7

Almost everybody has a favorite which they "push". Some of these do actually own the camera they advocate and for some it's simply a mental exercise. Even among those who have actually used the camera they're advocating very few have actually had a chance to do much in the way comparison photos under controlled circumstances.

My point in providing these pictures is not to advocate the Z612 but rather to say almost everything in the market between $160-$300 can take photos that are indistinguishable from the ones I provided if the photographer simply learns how to use the equipment at hand and some ability to see the subject.

I do like my Z612 because of its IS, 420mm equiv. telephoto range,the accuracy of the colors "out of the box", and because the current price is $200-$250 range but I don't think you can go wrong for your particular application within the price range you envision with whatever you select.

If you should get something andit won't match my samples take it back immediately.!!!
Old Mar 26, 2007, 12:32 PM   #8

At http://dcresource.com/ I compared the Fuji s6000 with the Olympus SP 550
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ol...ew/index.shtml
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fuji/finepix_s6000fd-review/

they take the same pictures of various themes for their reviews. I lean towards the Fuji because the images are sharper and the colors come out more. For me this is extremely important since I want to show an accurate color and texture of the sculpture.

Old Mar 28, 2007, 1:46 PM   #9

rmeg-

If your proposed camera's physical size is important to you, you might very well want to visit a camera shop and physically handle the Fuji S-6000 because it is avery large camera. As you can see from the attached photo showing the S-6000 sitting next to a Canon 350D/XT, (a) I do indeed own and constantly use these cameras (b) as a professional Digital Camera Instructor I actually currently own and use 72 different digital cameras.

You also have to keep in mind that even inexpensive cameras such as the Kodak C-743 are very capable of the task you have in mind.The C-743 is currently selling on the internet for around $140. Do you need the high ISO and ultra zoom capabilities of the S-6000 for something else?

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 5:49 PM   #10

The physical size is not important to me since I intend to use the camera either at home or close by. At the moment I primarily need it for photographing small to medium sized sculptures. After my old Minolta broke down I used a 6 year old 35mm p&s Minolta (not a digicam) with very disappointing results. All the photos were sharp but they were to bright and the colors were not accurate . I thought I'd be better off with a camera that also has manual features. I am trying to find a camera that can show realistic color nuances and texture under the Mojave sun . I would like to take photos of the sculptures out in the desert in a natural setting.