Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 21, 2007, 6:55 PM   #1

This "What camera do I buy" section is just what I was looking for. Thx

OK. I am going to buy a Rebel XTI very soon here. I have been looking on ebay for quite some time now. It seems my best options are going to be one of the offered kits. My wife and I have zero experience in digital cameras (or photography for that matter). We eventually will be taking a class after we get the camera. Why am I stuck on Canon? Well, I just love everything they do, so why not stick with them for my camera too. That simple.

Here is what we will be doing:
This camera will be the only one we have. So it will be used for family get togethers, vacations, landscaping, sceneries, eagles. Basically, everything. One of the most important uses will be for sports. I was 'told' with this camera I should be able to take a picture of my son's baseball team pitching and actually stop the ball and see the stitches and writing on it. I am very interested zoom. I believe the farther I can zoom in for a good shot, the happier I am. I would love nothing more than to be able to take really fast shots while zoomed in to capture the look of my son's eyes just before he sacks a quarterback. So, I guess how fast I can take these pictures will be valuable as well. I was also 'told' that with this high of megapixels, I should have no problem of making any photos into a normal poster size picture without too much notice of quality loss.

The different kits on ebay are just in the range we can really do, around the 1000 dollar range. Some have different lenses, memory size, stands and other items. Like most people, I am interested in the best deal for the money spent. I have no idea what lenses I am needing and memory. Also, I don't know if any software for photo editing and things like that come with the canons. If anyone knows, please let me know.

To sort of summarize my questions and a few others:
Can this camera do what I was 'told' it will do?
What lenses do I need for the things we want to do?
Memory size, speed and brands?
Are the things I need even offered in these kits?
When looking for a lens, what are the numbers and letters I am looking at?

Thanks to all who offer any advice. It's very much appreciated.

John
airtaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2007, 7:26 PM   #2
Administrator

airtaz wrote:
Quote:
I would love nothing more than to be able to take really fast shots while zoomed in to capture the look of my son's eyes just before he sacks a quarterback.
That implies night games, too.

You won't be able to get buy with a typical consumer grade 70-300mm f/4-f/5.6 type lens for night sports. They're not bright enough.

You'll want a zoom that can maintain f/2.8 throughout it's focal range shooting at ISO 1600 to get shutter speeds up fast enough for night sports in a typical stadium at night. It would be better to have ISO 3200 available if you ever need it. So, I'd consider the EOS-30D also.

To get out to longer focal lengths, you'd want something like this one. Two of our members that shoot a lot of sports (Mark1616 and JohngG) are using this lens for sports now with a Canon EOS-30D.

Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 EX HSM DG Lens in Canon EF Mount for $2,699 at B&H

Both also have this one, which is the lens that many users start out with for night sports. A number of our forum members have it (it's a popular lens, since it's less expensive than the f/2.8 lenses available from the camera manufacturers in this focal range). You'll probably want to take the photos from the sidelines for best results. But, the longer 120-300mm zoom would allow you to fill the frame more for shots where they're further away from where you're shooting from.

Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX HSM DG Macro Lens in Canon EF Mount for $899 at B&H

If you don't need to shoot under the lights at night and just need a lens for daytime use, there are less expensive lenses that would work. For example, this is a popular budget choice in a 70-300mm zoom.

Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro Lens in Canon Mount for $199 at B&H

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 7:39 PM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

You can sometimes find some good lens deals in the used departments of these vendors. I've bought used lenses from all 3.

http://www.keh.com

http://www.bphotovideo.com

http://www.adorama.com

Old Mar 21, 2007, 7:41 PM   #4

Thanks JimC for the response. Currenlty, there will be very few (if any) night games for the next couple of years. So, as I learn -- my new hobby savings will increase to actually consider some of those lenses. Right now, I am looking to stay right around 1000 dollars U.S. So me being a newbie, went to ebay and seen their kits. I am wondering now if maybe getting the body and just adding w/e lense(s) will suit my needs for now.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 7:45 PM   #5
Administrator

I'd probably avoid most Ebay vendors for new camera gear, so that you're not buying gray market gear not intended for sale in the U.S. with no U.S. Manufacturer's warranty, or paying too much for no junk accessories you may not need, inflated shipping charges, etc.

If you see a price that's much lower than a large Canon dealer like http://www.bhphotovideo.com , there's probably a catch somewhere. Research what you're actually buying carefully. It's getting to be pretty competitive in the camera business and I'd stick to reputable dealers.

Old Mar 21, 2007, 8:08 PM   #6
Administrator

airtaz wrote:
Quote:
Right now, I am looking to stay right around 1000 dollars U.S.
This would just squeeze you in at your desired budget, giving you an 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens for general purpose walk around use and a 70-300mm lens for when you need to shoot at longer range for things like daytime sports. Then, after you've used the camera for a while and get a better understanding of where your existing equipment may be lacking for the type of shooting you do, you could buy higher quality or brighter lenses if needed as budget permits.

Canon Rebel XTi with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens at B&H for $769.95

Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro Lens in Canon Mount for $199 at B&H

Old Mar 21, 2007, 8:26 PM   #7
Administrator

P.S. There are many choices available. Some people may want a bit more range in a zoom on the wide end. For example, my favorite walk around lens for a Maxxum 5D I'm shooting with is a 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5. But, many people like to start out a bit wider than that.

Because the sensor is smaller than 35mm film in a DSLR like a Canon Rebel XTi, you need to multiply the focal length of a lens by 1.6x to see what focal length you'd need on a 35mm camera to get the same angle of view (apparent magnification).

So, a lens like the 18-55mm kit lens on the Rebel XTi would give you the same angle of view you'd have using a 29-88mm lens on a 35mm camera. IOW, the lenses will appear to be a little longer on a DSLR. That's why most kit lenses start out at around 18mm (because you can only back up so much to get everything in). :-)

The 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO Sigma I mentioned is a popular lens for the longer end (and the APO version gets better user reviews compared to some of the non-APO Versions of this lens). You'll want the APO version if you go with it.

You could also get a body only and look around on the used market for lenses. If you're not quite sure what you need, I'd probably stick to the kit lens and a lens like that Sigma I mentioned to start out with, since the kit lens is relatively inexpensive in a Kit with a camera, and the Sigma I mentioned is a well liked choice in a longer budget zoom for daytimie use.

Or, if you can swing a bit more, look at some of the higher quality lens offering instead of the 18-55mm kit lens for the wide end.

Old Mar 21, 2007, 8:33 PM   #8

Thanks. I just happened to be looking at that site as you posted. I'm not sure what all the letters mean in the lenses. I do notice that you really like the sigma ones. I have found some Canon lenses around (from other places), and they seem to be comparable in prices. Do you think the Sigma ones are better? The Canon one at the same price is Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Zoom III Lens.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 8:46 PM   #9
Administrator

Most posts I've seen from users seem to lean towards the Sigma I mentioned in that focal range for the best low cost solution (in the price range of the lenses we're discussing).

You may want to ask about them in the Canon Lenses Forum below and get opinions from users of both.

Old Mar 21, 2007, 9:11 PM   #10

Yes. I will check that out for the lenses. That category will help regardless of the camera (almost) that I get.

So now the camera question. Do you know anyone with an XTI that has accomplished the things I need it for? FYI the person that has told me those things, wasn't a sales person. :-) He shoots wildlife vs sports. So I feel the need to ask a much wider, sports shooting experienced photographer.