Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 24, 2007, 9:02 AM   #21

>>ou're right - I'm not getting it - what problem? That different media formats exist? Should we force every company to use the same format? <<

Yes, it would be quite nice to force every company to use the same format. It would be pro-consumer, rather than pro-camera company. These companies are trying hard to distort the marketplace by forcing people to abandon market standards for things that only work with their products. You seem to think that is a good thing.

Consumer history is replete with problems concerning incompatible formats. Consumer scorn has been heaped upon the companies that cause the problem. When the Betamax vs. VhS wars were on---yes, the immediate consumer response was "decide on a one format." And one format died. Now that it is HD vs Blu-ray, again consumers are yelling: "You want us to buy, decide on a format." The companies themselves recognized this, and even called conferences to chat about it, but their egos and greed got in the way of agreement. So, instead, consumers are asked to invest huge dollars in at least one format that probably won't exist in ten years.

CF2 cards were the standard a couple of years ago. Everyone moved to SD, smaller and thinner, a better idea. SDHC is the new emerging standard. A couple of companies like Sony and Olympus continue to do whatever they can and whatever they feel like to ignore the overall market standard and stick it to consumers, in the hope that once someone adopts their product, they will be tied to it. That is indeed something that should annoy anyone.

You also, again, vastly oversimplify the problems with proprietary products. You had no comment on this quote that I provided you earlier from a review.....noting a variety of problems arising from Olympus' hubris. Address some of these issues please:

quoting from the review of this camera from photographyvoice.com: " For the SP-550, Olympus has opted to continue the use of xD memory cards instead of the now standard SD format. This is good for previous Olympus users who may already have a collection of xD cards, but it does limit storage capacity options. While SD Cards are up to 8GB and beyond, xD caps off at 2GB. This decision appears to be because Olympus manufactures xD cards, but not the SD variety.
This leads to a particular annoyance that Olympus has designed into the camera and its included processing software. Certain features are only available if you are using an Olympus memory card. For example Panorama mode with its assistance feature (and auto stitching with the included software) is not available if you are using a third-party card. Two other features of the Olympus editing software which are missing in this manner are the 3D and Art effects. Tsk, tsk, tsk."

monsieurms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 12:30 PM   #22

"Yes, it would be quite nice to force every company to use the same format. It would be pro-consumer, rather than pro-camera company. These companies are trying hard to distort the marketplace by forcing people to abandon market standards for things that only work with their products. You seem to think that is a good thing."

Are you kidding me? I'm surprised to see that you live in America..but then again, with your avatar... '...force every company...' '...pro consumer..' 'These companies...' Do you feel like everyone is out to get you? Do you feel isolated? Withdrawn? What should we do to them ms? Have we ruled out violence?

Let me try this again...I have no problem with different media formats. There is no problem. The problem exists only in your mind. Change is good. Without change, technology stagnates.

If you had become king of world technology 20 some-odd years ago, you would still have an 8-track in your car, a 5 1/4" floppy drive in your computer, and would still be putting film in your camera...who knows - maybe you do. You would not have to worry about which card to put in your Treo, because you wouldn't have one - it wouldn't have been invented. No one would have cell phones...we would all have rotary dial phones.

And yet, you applaud the development of the SD card. Why is that? The SD was a modified MMC card - they made it a little thicker. Devices that utilized MMC could not use the SD card - it wouldn't fit in the slot. And that's OK with you? There is more than one SD format. There is SD, SD mini, SD micro - and they are not compatible. That's OK? There are even compatibility issues with existing SD devices and the new SDHC cards. That doesn't bother you? Why do you have issues with one format and not another?

How about Samsung and Toshiba? They make the evil xD cards. Shouldn't you hate them too?

I intentionally did not comment on your earlier quote, because I do not recognize the authority or expertise of the source, photographyvoice.com. Where did you dig that one up? They have reviewed one digicam - one! That makes them an expert source? That means I should agree with them? No ms, you dug up that article because you want to believe it... You are the one with the issues over Olympus and xD cards. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised to find out you are somehow related to that site. Maybe you even contributed to that article! C'mon, you can level with us. Most of us are capable of making a decision regarding product purchase. We don't wait to see which format is going to win out, and then whine if something new comes along. By the way, ms...did you buy that Beta VCR yet?

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 12:48 PM   #23
Administrator

OKguys, play nice. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and to express them but do it nicely please. The way to get Olympus to stop using xD media is to refuse to buy their products and to send them email stating your dislike of their media limitations. Fujifilm has finally seen the light, maybe Olympus will too. Their stockholders will have the final say
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 2:11 PM   #24

Quote:
This leads to a particular annoyance that Olympus has designed into the camera and its included processing software. Certain features are only available if you are using an Olympus memory card.
Oly has been doing the features scam since SM days. There is nothing in the Oly memory cards that are required for the features but some code that tells the camera it is an Oly card. You could add the code to aftermarket SM cards and gain the features, but I haven't seen any codes published for xD. I've always thought such a blatant scam should come under restraint of trade. But they've been getting away with it for many years.

I don't think Sony, Fuji and Oly set out to mess up the standards. I think they set out to be the standard. I can see where they are somewhat locked in. If someone has another of their devices like a camcorder that uses their memory, I can see where they would be at least as perturbed as you are to find they had to buy different memory for a new camera of the same brand.

Only market forces are apparently going to cause a change. Fuji's dual slots are probably an indication of an eventual move, maybe followed by Oly. If enough people vote with their wallets we will probably eventually see Oly and Fuji standardized. Sony might have too many products on the market to change over.

I'm glad there are people like you. If I wanted an Oly 550 I would buy one. I tend to marry a card to a camera and redundant cards I have around usually aren't large enough to mess with. I have other devices that take SD cards but don't tend to swap them around. A standard would be nice though, and if enough people get their backs up we will eventually get one.

There is a sort of compatibility with the mini cards. They come with an adapter so it can be used in any device that takes SD. You can use them as regular SD cards and read them in any reader that takes SD. They exist so devices can be smaller.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 9:52 PM   #25

The market place has spoken. Does anyone buy Olympus anymore. Arguably they have great color and great cameras overall.. But their sales have gone down the toilet. They are forced to deeply discount their compacts, even their DSLRs that used CF and xD are not selling well. Pentax the dark horse in the race cannot make their lenses and their DSLRs fast enough..
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:12 PM   #26

chrisdsa wrote:
Quote:
The market place has spoken. Does anyone buy Olympus anymore. Arguably they have great color and great cameras overall.. But their sales have gone down the toilet. They are forced to deeply discount their compacts, even their DSLRs that used CF and xD are not selling well. Pentax the dark horse in the race cannot make their lenses and their DSLRs fast enough..
Can you give me your sources for this info?
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 12:43 AM   #27

steve wrote:
Quote:
Fujifilm has finally seen the light, maybe Olympus will too.
No Fuji ALWAYS has for the high end P&S line.

My first was a S602 .... then SM plus CF dual media slots.... then a S7000 Still CF but also XD slot..... either way they knew they needed the STANDARD CF.... now being usurped by SD.... which those caliber Fuji cameras have now as well as their proprietary XD... I always concerned SECONDARY slot though they probably though primary.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 8:38 AM   #28

November 8, 2006 – Olympus Corp. announced yesterday increased income and sales, particularly of digital cameras, are up by nearly 17 percent, according to their financial reports for the first half of fiscal year 2007.

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...cent-in-H1.htm

Poor Olympus...virtually on the brink of financial collapse...all because of the evil xD card, no doubt.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:18 PM   #29

Man, you never give up eh? The person who started this discussion clearly stated he wanted a camera that does NOT use PROPRIETARY media. What part of this don't you understand? Quit trying to armwrestle this person with your infantile rant supporting a media he DOES NOT WANT!!!!! HELLLOOOO!!!!
Get a grip, you are taking this thing way too far...

gerrydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:34 PM   #30

gerrydee wrote:
Quote:
Man, you never give up eh? The person who started this discussion clearly stated he wanted a camera that does NOT use PROPRIETARY media. What part of this don't you understand? Quit trying to armwrestle this person with your infantile rant supporting a media he DOES NOT WANT!!!!! HELLLOOOO!!!!
It's people like you who give forums a bad reputation, get a grip, you are taking this thing way too far...
And that person got the answer long ago that there was nothing currently on the market that met his requirements that use SD and he said his need for a new camera wasn't that pressing so he would wait and see what happened. Others offered that the marketplace ultimately make the choice. Nothing inaccurate about that statement but then someone threw in FUD stating that it already had made a choice and that's clearly not the case.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote