Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:47 PM   #31

I think that once he got his answer, the thread should have ended there. Trying to ram XD memory down his throat was not the object of the discussion and the whole thing took a somewhat nasty turn. If a person feels so strongly about pushing his agenda, he should start his own thread, not hijack somebody else's.
gerrydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 10:02 AM   #32

Quote:
And why would you ever want to put your camera's memory cards in a game device or phone? This is why cards get corrupted and people lose pictures.
Quote:
There is SD, SD mini, SD micro - and they are not compatible. That's OK? There are even compatibility issues with existing SD devices and the new SDHC cards.
All memory cards are rated by a given number of IO operations - the device they're used in has no bearing on curruption. They will fail or not. matter little if any what device uses the card. Read the SD standard, IO operations are all defined = the device doesn't matter.

Yep, there are several types of SD - once again read the standard, they are ALL compatible. The SD standard defines how the card(s) operate the size of the media is irrelevant. The new standard SDHC is entirely new......but it's also backward compatible which means devices that can use the SDHC cards can also use the SD cards. Much like USB 1.1 & USB 2.

Could one re-invest in mew media? Certainly it's not all that expensive but why bother? Likely there's a device that meets your needs with the format you want.

Quote:
November 8, 2006 – Olympus Corp. announced yesterday increased income and sales, particularly of digital cameras, are up by nearly 17 percent, according to their financial reports for the first half of fiscal year 2007

Yeah, "predictions". Too bad that's not the story for 2006. Lost 1% of marketshare. They can predict all they want but reality tells a different story. You'll notice there's one company in the top 5 the has their own media - Sony. And that company is unique, they have a fanbase that tends to believe anything they make is "the best". Pretty telling that both Fuji & Oylmpus finish behind a printer company.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/02...eras/index.php

Quote:
he should start his own thread, not hijack somebody else's.
Nah, it's easier to just post fanboy "fuji rulez dude" in existing threads.:-)
Bailey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 12:22 PM   #33

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
November 8, 2006 – Olympus Corp. announced yesterday increased income and sales, particularly of digital cameras, are up by nearly 17 percent, according to their financial reports for the first half of fiscal year 2007.

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...cent-in-H1.htm

Poor Olympus...virtually on the brink of financial collapse...all because of the evil xD card, no doubt.

the Hun

Check this out: it's the top ten cameras by market share in the US for 2005-2006.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/02...eras/index.php

Fuji loses 19% and Olympus loses 5%.

Sorry Hun, but it doesn't look good for the XD cards...:shock:

Old Mar 26, 2007, 8:51 PM   #34

To gerrydee who wrote;

"Man, you never give up eh? The person who started this discussion clearly stated he wanted a camera that does NOT use PROPRIETARY media. What part of this don't you understand? Quit trying to armwrestle this person with your infantile rant supporting a media he DOES NOT WANT!!!!! HELLLOOOO!!!!
Get a grip, you are taking this thing way too far..."

I guess you were speaking to me, even though you weren't brave enough to use my name.

Apparently you weren't speaking to ac.smith when you replied;

"I think that once he got his answer, the thread should have ended there. Trying to ram XD memory down his throat was not the object of the discussion and the whole thing took a somewhat nasty turn. If a person feels so strongly about pushing his agenda, he should start his own thread, not hijack somebody else's."

Were you referring to me, gerrydee?

For your information, the OP provided this forum with a list of requirements for a camera, and wanted to know if any existed which met those requirements. And here they are:

"An ultra zoom

--begins at 28
--250 or more
--uses SD cards or Compact flash
--hardware image stabilzation
--6 megapixels are more
--fixed lens not changeable, digital slr

Does anything fit that bill at the moment?"

After a couple of replies (and not by me), the OP posted the following;

"Anyway...

I'll reserve judgment on Olympus, but in the meanwhile with respect to the original question---is there anything else out there that meets my specs?"

It was then that I posted what I felt were the two closest cameras on the market to his published specs...

Fuji S9100 (no hardware IS)

Fuji S6000FD (no hardware IS, no SD or CF)

I clarified my suggestions by including (parenthetically) the exceptions to his specifications.

I don't consider that thread hijacking. I don't consider it ramming xD memory down anyone's throat. It just happened to be the only two cameras I was aware of that met most of the OP's specified criteria.

Shortly after that, all Hell broke out.

gerrydee...I don't recall you giving the OP any meaningful suggestions or advice. Perhaps you have a camera in mind that meets all of the OP's specs...no? Didn't think so. And how many times did you have to read Bailey's post before you found that link to post? Pretty clever, eh?

And to you, Bailey, who seemed to have a lot of expert advice for the OP,

"All memory cards are rated by a given number of IO operations - the device they're used in has no bearing on curruption."

I guess you never read any of the posts to this forum from people who lost all or part of the pictures on their card because they became corrupt after using them in devices other than their camera. I don't really care what the SD standard says...any memory media can become corrupt...even the evil xD card.

"Yep, there are several types of SD - once again read the standard, they are ALL compatible."

I guess you didn't read much of this thread either...the OP was expressing his frustration with media that he couldn't use in his devices, such as the built-in card reader in his laptop. He has an SD slot in his laptop. Mini and micro SD cards won't work in his laptop without an adapter - that's not really compatible - you need an adapter. And the new SDHC cards won't work in a device designed for SD, either - backwards compatible doesn't help here.

"Could one re-invest in mew media?"

Is that a new format for photographing cats?

"Yeah, "predictions". Too bad that's not the story for 2006. Lost 1% of marketshare. They can predict all they want but reality tells a different story."

Oddly enough, gerrydee posted the same link as you and came up with:

"Fuji loses 19% and Olympus loses 5%."

Which is it?

I guess you didn't read the article I linked to...it was reality. Here it is, direct from Olympus:

http://www.olympus-global.com/en/cor...061107aE_n.pdf

Olympus digital camera sales (worldwide) increased 16.9% from 9/30/05 to 9/30/06. The original link I posted said almost 17% (close). Those are hard numbers...actual sales, not a prediction. The link referred to worldwide sales of digital cameras, not shipments of cameras to the U.S., which is not the same thing, and definitely not as important for an international company as the worldwide market share.

It is unfortunate that some people like to bash certain products. Not because they have intimate knowledge of their functions and capabilities, but because of something they overheard someone say, or something they think they read somewhere. Maybe you should try a Sony, Olympus or Fuji camera...you might just like it.

The Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 10:21 PM   #35

Go for the Canon S3IS. Uses SD memory cards and the zoom should meet your needs.
Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 10:47 PM   #36

Panasonic TZ3 is 7 Mpixel, 10x zoom with 28-280mm equivalent lens, stabiliser, and SD (as well as the newerSDHC) card.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 11:39 PM   #37

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
To gerrydee who wrote;

"Man, you never give up eh? The person who started this discussion clearly stated he wanted a camera that does NOT use PROPRIETARY media. What part of this don't you understand? Quit trying to armwrestle this person with your infantile rant supporting a media he DOES NOT WANT!!!!! HELLLOOOO!!!!
Get a grip, you are taking this thing way too far..."

I guess you were speaking to me, even though you weren't brave enough to use my name.

The Hun

Why do I need to be brave??? You planning on puching my caps off? I didn't need to name you, HUN, you seemed to have figured it out quite easily by yourself. My post was right below your's. Did you think the other members are not as smart as you. Yes, rest assured, it was directed to YOU.

If you state an opinion in a forum, you should not be surprised if someone disagrees with you or makes a comment or criticizes your post. If it does offend you, maybe you should consider taking up another hobby. Maybe photography? Knitting?

Or you could start another thread in order to make a point on the superiority of the Olympus and Fugifilm cameras and their XD cards that nobody wants, but are forced to buy into in order to buy their over-rated products, instead of hi-jacking somebody elses.

>> It was then that I posted what I felt were the two closest cameras on the market to his published specs...

Fuji S9100 (no hardware IS)

Fuji S6000FD (no hardware IS, no SD or CF)

I clarified my suggestions by including (parenthetically) the exceptions to his specifications.

*Your 2 suggested cameras did NOT qualify for his needs according to the specs he required. He clearly stated that he did NOT want a camera with propietary memory cards. So you suggested 2 that take XD. The Canon S3 would have been a better recommendation. At least he could have put a wide angle lens on it.

>>I guess you didn't read the article I linked to...it was reality. Here it is, direct from Olympus:

http://www.olympus-global.com/en/cor...061107aE_n.pdf

Olympus digital camera sales (worldwide) increased 16.9% from 9/30/05 to 9/30/06. The original link I posted said almost 17% (close). Those are hard numbers...actual sales, not a prediction. The link referred to worldwide sales of digital cameras, not shipments of cameras to the U.S., which is not the same thing, and definitely not as important for an international company as the worldwide market share.

*Hello?? the article is from Olympus, conflict of interest maybe? Maybe you believed Enron's numbers too? Nortel? The chart from Macworld is simple enough, do the math, I did.
Quit being so childish, or go ahead, poke me in the nose, I'm not "BRAVE". :blah:
Old Mar 27, 2007, 7:01 AM   #38

I have a Panny P&S, a Kodak UZ and a Pentax DSLR. I will not get into the arguments here, but for me, it's simple: if a device does not use SD cards, I won't buy it.

If that makes me stupid, sobeit, but it is a choice that a lot of knowledgeable people make.
caliban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 7:40 PM   #39

gerrydee said...

"You planning on puching my caps off?"

"Did you think the other members are not as smart as you."

"If it does offend you, maybe you should consider taking up another hobby. Maybe photography?"

"...the superiority of the Olympus and Fugifilm cameras and their XD cards that nobody wants, but are forced to buy into in order to buy their over-rated products..."

" Quit being so childish, or go ahead, poke me in the nose, I'm not "BRAVE"."

I consider the above quotes undecipherable, irrational, and unworthy of reply.

"*Your 2 suggested cameras did NOT qualify for his needs according to the specs he required. He clearly stated that he did NOT want a camera with propietary memory cards. So you suggested 2 that take XD."

The S9100 is dual slotted...it takes CF cards as well as xD. Helloooooo...maybe you should do some research before you shoot your mouth off. Last time I checked, CF cards were not considered proprietary.

"*Hello?? the article is from Olympus, conflict of interest maybe? Maybe you believed Enron's numbers too? Nortel? The chart from Macworld is simple enough, do the math, I did."

Can you even begin to comprehend the difference between the market share of shipments of Olympus digital cameras to the United States and the growth of worldwide sales of Olympus digital cameras? I didn't think so. Apparently, math isn't your forte either...according to your macworld (whoever that is) chart, Olympus lost 1% of U.S. market share from 2005 to 2006. Meanwhile, Olympus' worldwide sales of digital cameras increased 16.9% from 9/05 to 9/06.

No one can force you or anyone else to purchase a camera that you don't want to buy. No one can force you to 'buy in' to a memory card format that you do not like or want. Only you can deprive yourself of a camera with the features and performance that you want, because it doesn't use the kind of media you already possess. If that seems logical to you, then live with it. Personally, I'll purchase the camera I want, based on what it can do for me, regardless of the media format it utilizes. If I need to buy a new type of memory card, I'll buy it (without whining about it), because it was my decision to purchase that particular camera in the first place.

By the way, gerrydee...I bet you're running WindowsXP on your computer, aren't you? Doesn't it bother you how Microsoft and Bill Gates are monopolizing personal computers? Maybe someday all cameras will use only xD cards - what you gonna do then - take up knitting?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:18 PM   #40

Looks like XD-Boy wonder here has way too much time on his hands. Hey ..you missed a point-by-point rebuttal on post #23.. Go ahead.. Reading Ronnie's rants and raves have made me swear off any cameras that have XD cards ..forever..
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote