Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 22, 2007, 11:48 PM   #1

I'm looking for a 16:9 capable digital camera, probably a compact one vs. DSLR, have started researching and found the Panasonic DMC-LX2K and the Panasonic DMC-TZ3, am curious if there are other options??

Regarding these two cameras, has anyone compared them? I read a lot of talk of noise with the LX2 but not so much with the TZ3. I believe the LX2 has a 16:9 format LCD screen whereas the TZ3 has a 4:3 format LCD screen? I think I also read that the LX2 sensor is 16:9 format natively but I'm not sure about the TZ3.

Any assistance of other models I could consider that provide 16:9 shooting and opinions on comparisons of these two cameras would be greatly appreciated. I did a search in this forum for '16:9' and surprisingly didn't find a topic like the one I'm posting but I'd guess there is interest in 16:9 shooting.

Thanks in advance!
WynsWrld98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2007, 12:42 AM   #2

Not sure I see why you would want to other than to natively plug stills into a HD video.

35mm format 3:2 (15:10) is darn close, easily adapted without cropping/resizing much to 16:9
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 1:08 AM   #3

You have the exact reason, I want to display images on my 16:9 format HDTV projector without having to do any cropping and see the full sized image.
WynsWrld98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 1:29 AM   #4

Well still a 3:2 (15:10) image would pretty much fill the screen as is except slightly on the sides, provided the player was outputting a wide screen output.... now that might be the thing, and now that I think about it DSLR's should have a WS output as well as NTSC (4:3) and PAL (also 4:3).

But a computer or DVD player connect to a HD TV should output properly 15:10.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 11:50 AM   #5

You can take a look at the new Canon line of P&S. I think the new A460 has a 16:9 mode.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote