Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 23, 2007, 5:38 AM   #1

What are the pro's and con's of each, both are available in the UK at £350, it will be a one off purchase (no further lenses required).

Main subjects are Family and landscapes.

Cheers:-)
mweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2007, 11:01 AM   #2

I have the E500 and I love it. Every camera has some drawbacks, and the E500 is no exception. Its low light performance (interior existing light) isn't the best. If that's a primary use, you may want to choose carefully. High ISO images tend to show more noise and getting a focus lock will be a challenge.

If Olympus is your choice, the Olympus kit lenses are a cut above the rest. If you can swing it, get the two lens kit as the 40-150 is quite a nice lens.

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 4:07 PM   #3

I have an E-300 and love it, but I am going to purchase the E-510 for the image stabilization feature... especially with the 40-150mm near the telephoto end... I can't hold it steady enough, and don't want to always be carrying around a tri-pod... of course, all the Canon cameras are nice too.... good luck with your choice...
HornOUBet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 7:15 PM   #4

I am with Horn in this discussion. I too, am a very happyE-300 user, and I love the camera a whole lot. However, I am happy to wait for the E-510 as it will offer IS in a rather small DSLR body that will be very desireable. The grip on the Canon 350D/XT is terrible. I know, as I own one. Bad decision.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 10:09 PM   #5

Best to go down to the local camera store and try out both. I have an XT and no problems with the grip.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 10:51 PM   #6

d useIs it just me, dr. spock-

However, I am not alone in finding the grip on the 350D/XT to be very tenuous and a very slippery indeed. There have been many posts right on this forumconcerningthat very marginal grip on the Canon XT.

Although I do not regularly employ the neck strap on most DSLR cameras, I am always quick to use it with the Canon 350D/XT, just to retain control of that very slippery camera. The exact same problem exists with the Canon XTi, as it is exactly the same DSLR body.

I guess your experiences differ from mine. Although, I actually do own and use a Canon XT. Do you?

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 2:03 PM   #7

MT/Sarah, I guess Canon designed the XT (or XTi) for my hands. I have been using one since 2005. So far so good. I've always used the neck strap on my SLRs (film and digital) and wrist straps for P&S. It is safer in case someone bumps into you while you're composing and knocks your camera overboard.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 2:23 PM   #8

I had the EOS 350D ... returned it. Never liked the handling and the kit glass. The E-500 twin lense kit is a steal. The Zuikos are really better than Canon kit lenses. Try using the 75-300 on Canon and then try the 40-150 on E-500 ... I'd pick up the E-500 any day.

The issues with E-500, slow AF speed at times and manual focussing is not too responsive on the kit lenses. I won't really bother about the noise as long as I don't jump ISO 800 it isn't that bad. I have taken a poster size print of a shot that was ISO 400 ... it has to be seen to be believed.

My vote goes for E-500.

And if you find some more money to shell out later you could get the Pro Zuiko's and I believe you'd be more than elated. To get the same kind of glass from Canon ... you'll have to spend a lot more I think. I have the Zuiko 14-54 and just love my kit.

Cheers,
--
Gaggu
gaggu is offline   Reply With Quote