Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 23, 2007, 11:37 AM   #1

I am trying to research what type of digital camera I need but am very camera illiterate. Not knowing the correct terminology is making it difficult for me to Google things that I would like research. Someone on another board sent me here.

I need a digital camera (point & shoot) that can take a picture so that when the picture is blown up to poster size it will not be grainy. (In my case taking a picture of a Robotics team and blowing it up to poster size) Is the amount of megapixels the only thing that would affect this or is there something else and what is it called.

I currently have a point and shoot Kodak Easyshare DX4330 that I bought back in either 2001 or 02...can't remember. This takes fine pictures but if you try to blow up a team picture it gets grainy.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Poncagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2007, 12:21 PM   #2

Poncagal wrote:
Quote:
I am trying to research what type of digital camera I need but am very camera illiterate. Not knowing the correct terminology is making it difficult for me to Google things that I would like research. Someone on another board sent me here.

I need a digital camera (point & shoot) that can take a picture so that when the picture is blown up to poster size it will not be grainy.
"Grainy" is a term that refers to film. Photographic film uses an emultion containing light sensitive particles (or grains). In most circumstances, the individual grains (on the film and on the photo paper) are not usually visible to the naked eye, until an image is enlarged too far.

Digital cameras don't use film, and so don't have grains, per se. There are two things you might be referring too. One is pixelation, and the other is noise.

Pixelation is when the image is enlarged to the point where the pixels (the individual light sensitive elements on the image sensor) become visible. When this happens, smooth diagonal lines and circles appear to have jagged edges.

Noise is whenthe image sensor is so sensitive to light (at high ISO settings) that adjacent pixels may react differently. When this happens, adjacent pixels that should be the same color are slightly different shades.

Poncagal wrote:
Quote:
Is the amount of megapixels the only thing that would affect this or is there something else and what is it called.
If what you're talking about is pixelation, then yes, a digicam with more megapixels will cure the problem you're having.

If what you're talking about is noise, then turning down the ISO setting will cure the problem you're having.

I hope this helps.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 12:59 PM   #3

thank you Tcav...I think pixelation is my problem with my current camera. I didn't know what to call it but I knew the picture was not clear!

Poncagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 8:01 PM   #4

You have a 3Mp camera, something like 1500x2000 pixels. Not sure what you mean by poster size, but assume the long side is one meter. With 2000 pixels along that distance, each pixel will be half a millimeter. Is that the scale of your "grain"?

I suspect your "grain" is really a combination of many factors such as poor focus, noise, lens distortion, pixelation, sensor imperfections, ... with noise as the dominate issue. The larger the print, the more obvious any imperfection will be.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote