Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 23, 2007, 2:16 PM   #1

Please chime in which of theseyou would buy ifyou only had the choice between these two cameras.
marksas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2007, 2:52 PM   #2

FZ8, for several reasons....

RAW capture

Longer built-in zoom range

The FZ8 is sold with a hood you can attach to the lens to protect the front element from bothimpact damage and direct sunlight.

Electronic viewfinder, meaning more accurate framing when held up to the eye than the optical finder of the Canon. This also means, once you know the controls,you can make changes to settings without having to take the camera down from your eye. Also, with the electronic viewfinder you can review your images already takenthrough the viewfinder instead of on the back LCD. Ever tried reviewing images in broad daylight on the back LCD without having to attachsome sort of contraption around the LCD to aid in viewing? I'd rather not have to do that.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 3:03 PM   #3

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
FZ8, for several reasons....

RAW capture

Longer built-in zoom range

The FZ8 is sold with a hood you can attach to the lens to protect the front element from bothimpact damage and direct sunlight.

Electronic viewfinder, meaning more accurate framing when held up to the eye than the optical finder of the Canon. This also means, once you know the controls,you can make changes to settings without having to take the camera down from your eye. Also, with the electronic viewfinder you can review your images already takenthrough the viewfinder instead of on the back LCD. Ever tried reviewing images in broad daylight on the back LCD without having to attachsome sort of contraption around the LCD to aid in viewing? I'd rather not have to do that.

Greg - Thanks for the input, i agree with what you have said. However, i realize the problem with this comparison is that it like comparing a sedan to an SUV. Both have good attributes but one may suit someones particular needs better. In this case, one of my concerns with the FZ8 is its size, although it is rather compact for an ultra zoom camera. I'm wondering if the 6x zoom of the canon would be plenty for me?
marksas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 12:03 AM   #4

Depends on what type of photography you intend to do. The 2 cameras you are interested in are for completely different uses. Can't compare them to each other, it's like comparing apples to oranges. Give some details on what you want to do with it.
6X zoom is not good for nature photography for instance, but great in a hall etc...
Go to the store and try them out. You'll know what you want then. If you want to consider serious photography, you will want a versatile superzoom, no matter on the size.
Check out Steve's reviews BEFORE you buy.
gerrydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 2:43 AM   #5

the panasonic ultrazoom point and shoot is quite impressive.

you can always check out these links for more information, and prices

[SPAM REMOVED BY MODERATOR]
john.harris77 is offline   Reply With Quote