Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 28, 2007, 1:51 PM   #11

Biff-

In all fairness, the Canon S-70 is a much more advanced camera than those you are considering. In addition, it has a great wide angle lens which really helps with those postcard kind of landscape shots, that you admired on your friend's big LCD screen.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 4:42 PM   #12

MT,

What about the G7? I'm interested in something small and easy to use, but can produce the nice big photos like the S70. I'd be willing to learn how to use the manual settings, but I think the other members of my family are more into the point and shoot. I currently have a Leica "point and shoot" type film camera.

thanks!

BVM

PS I currently have a Leica "point and shoot" type film camera.
Biff vonMises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 6:13 PM   #13

Biff-

I do not own a Canon G-7. However, I understand that it is a great camera. However, it is a physically larger camera. I own the Canon G-6 which has produced great results for me.

The Canon G-7 reviews make it seem to be excellent: 6X optical zoom, 10mp, and IS as well. The only problem I can detect with the Canon G-7 is its lack of a true wide angle position on its lens. The lens on the G-7 begins at 35mm which is only a very small amount of wide angle capability.

You might do just as well with the Kodak P-880 which has a 24mm wideangle lens that can give you that REAL wide angle perspective for about half the price.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 6:10 AM   #14

gerrydee wrote:
Quote:
rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
Which other site is best?

the Hun
DP Review.
http://www.dpreview.com/
Yeah if you are a techno snob, of more money than God. (Seems to be more than just a bit of sponsor bias there too.... and maybe why some reviews are late here... Steve gets his samples the honest (and reviewd as such) way.

This is one of the few places I've found you get honest answeres from normal people... who think $1K is a pretty serious amount for just a lens vs true difference with something much cheaper but not that much worse quality if you can't biz cost it out/recoup the expense.

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 6:14 AM   #15

Brando1219 wrote:
Quote:
I am trying to decide between the SD 800IS, the SD 900, or the SD 1000. Which would be best?
Why so hung up on Canon???? What are your actual needs?
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 10:54 AM   #16

Actually Brando1219 had the original question. I was also interested in the answer and restarted the thread.

As for me, I've hade several friends that have had good luck with the Canon Digitial ELPH. Rather then rely on just 3 opinons, I figured that I ask the experts.

I'm in the market form a good digital camera that I'll use for inside and outside shots of family and scenery. My wife and teenage kids will also use the camera. I want to make large prints (8x10 to 11x14) of the photos. I want more control then just the point and shoot if necessary. I'm in the $500 to $600 dollar range. I would like something fairly compact. I'm not at the point where I can have multiple cameras.

BVM
Biff vonMises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 9:52 AM   #17

I am asking the same question.. which of those models is the best? I have the S3 already and I have the SD500. I like the SD500 (7.1 mp) but I don't like that it doesn't have image stablization so some of my pictures have that blur on them. I want to avoid that. A good zoom would be great but I know you can only get so much of a zoom with these tiny cameras.
Raztaz is offline   Reply With Quote