Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:40 PM   #11

gryphonslair99 wrote:
Quote:
I think that all the cameras listed will do nicely, but IMHO the top UZ on the market today has to be the Leica V-Lux 1, 10.0 Megapixel, 12X optical zoom.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

It is prices like it as well.
At $849. US, it should do my dishes and laundry too!
gerrydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 3:37 PM   #12

I didn't promise cheap. I just advised that IMHO it was the best Ultra Zoom out right now. I have a friend that is looking at getting one. He does not want to go full blown DSLR so this is his top choice. It doesn't do dishes, but it brews a wicked cup of coffee. :G :G :G
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 4:07 PM   #13

gryphonslair99 wrote:
Quote:
I didn't promise cheap. I just advised that IMHO it was the best Ultra Zoom out right now. I have a friend that is looking at getting one. He does not want to go full blown DSLR so this is his top choice. It doesn't do dishes, but it brews a wicked cup of coffee. :G :G :G
Man!!! the S3 doesn't even brew Decaf. I guess that's what happens when you go cheap... :?
Old Mar 26, 2007, 6:54 PM   #14

I have been looking into these cameras a bit more. I have found five main models that I think that meet most if not all of my criteria, and that I like the looks of. The models are as follows:
1. Canon S3IS
2. Panasonic DMC-FZ8
3. Olympus SP-550 UZ
4. Sony DSCH 5
5. Fuji S6000
I'm sure that if any of you have read my previous posts in this thread, that you know exactly what I am looking for. I'm hoping that I can get some recommendations as to which of the options above is best for me. They all look to have similar super zooms(12-18X). They all have what looks to be the equivalent(or close to) movie modes(very important to me). Except for the Canon, they are all 7 MP. The only problem that I find with 2 of the cameras(the Olympus, and the Fuji is that they use XD, and I think... correct me if I'm wrong, that SD is the future). I don't want to be a pain, and keep this thread going too much, but this is a lot of money to me, and I want to make sure that I get a camera that I will be happy with for many years to come.
Thanks so much:-),
Matt

mrschmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 8:08 PM   #15

mrschmitt

Not trying to be a smart A$$ here but if you truely want to be happy with the camera you buy then do not go by what any of us have to say here. Read it, Evaluate it and take it for what it is worth. THEN

Go to a good photography shop with a couple of media cards. They are cheap these days and they do not have to be big or fast. Check out each of the cameras for your self. Feel them, check out the controls and where they are located. Shoot some pictures with them inside and outside in a varity of light and subjects, still object, moving car etc. Check out the accessories that you might be interested in for each one. Then Thank the sale person and go home. Check the photos for yourself. See which camera produced the most favorable resluts. Go back to the photography shop or order from a reputable on line store such as B&H and have fun with that new camera. If you decide for yourself after spending your time you will not have doubts about you choice. If you rely on us to tell you what to buy, there will always be some doubts in the back of your mind when a shot does not turn out.
good luck.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 8:08 PM   #16

mrschmitt

Not trying to be a smart A$$ here but if you truely want to be happy with the camera you buy then do not go by what any of us have to say here. Read it, Evaluate it and take it for what it is worth. THEN

Go to a good photography shop with a couple of media cards. They are cheap these days and they do not have to be big or fast. Check out each of the cameras for your self. Feel them, check out the controls and where they are located. Shoot some pictures with them inside and outside in a varity of light and subjects, still object, moving car etc. Check out the accessories that you might be interested in for each one. Then Thank the sales person and go home. Check the photos for yourself. See which camera produced the most favorable resluts. Go back to the photography shop or order from a reputable on line store such as B&H and have fun with that new camera. If you decide for yourself after spending your time you will not have doubts about you choice. If you rely on us to tell you what to buy, there will always be some doubts in the back of your mind when a shot does not turn out.
Good luck.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 5:03 PM   #17

gryphonslair99 wrote:
Quote:
mrschmitt

Go to a good photography shop with a couple of media cards. They are cheap these days and they do not have to be big or fast. Check out each of the cameras for your self. Feel them, check out the controls and where they are located. Shoot some pictures with them inside and outside in a varity of light and subjects, still object, moving car etc. Check out the accessories that you might be interested in for each one. Then Thank the sales person and go home. Check the photos for yourself. See which camera produced the most favorable resluts. Go back to the photography shop or order from a reputable on line store such as B&H and have fun with that new camera. If you decide for yourself after spending your time you will not have doubts about you choice. If you rely on us to tell you what to buy, there will always be some doubts in the back of your mind when a shot does not turn out.
Good luck.
That's the best advice you could get from anyone IMO. It's going to be YOUR camera paid with YOUR $$$$. No shoulda, coulda, woulda's.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 8:43 AM   #18

Quote:
movie modes(very important to me).
Seems like you might have answered your own question, by any account the Canon does the best job with movies - it's that's a big priority then............
Bailey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 9:11 AM   #19

In case you have specific requirements for movie mode ... the Canon uses a video format that sucks up a lot of disk/memory ... about 1GB for 8-9 minutes of [email protected] video. That means you have to start a new video clip once the 1GB file limit is reached. This is not a problem for many because they only want short clips, but if you're "taping" events, this can be a pain - especially if you think you want to set it on a tripod and just let it go.

On the plus side, you can use the full optical zoom in movie mode, which apparently is a rare feature because most cameras have a noisy zoom that you can hear on the video clip. This is not a problem with the Canon.

Full disclosure - these are problems for me, so I'm looking for another "digital video" device, but have not found anything that can match my Canon's video quality. I've tried the Sony WSC-100, the Sanyo Xacti CA6 and a cheapo hybrid. Waiting for the Casio EX-V7 to show up at Future Shop.

Good luck.
dennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 1:56 PM   #20

mrschmitt wrote:
Quote:
I have been looking into these cameras a bit more. I have found five main models that I think that meet most if not all of my criteria, and that I like the looks of. The models are as follows:
1. Canon S3IS
2. Panasonic DMC-FZ8
3. Olympus SP-550 UZ
4. Sony DSCH 5
5. Fuji S6000
I'm sure that if any of you have read my previous posts in this thread, that you know exactly what I am looking for. I'm hoping that I can get some recommendations as to which of the options above is best for me. They all look to have similar super zooms(12-18X). They all have what looks to be the equivalent(or close to) movie modes(very important to me). Except for the Canon, they are all 7 MP. The only problem that I find with 2 of the cameras(the Olympus, and the Fuji is that they use XD, and I think... correct me if I'm wrong, that SD is the future). I don't want to be a pain, and keep this thread going too much, but this is a lot of money to me, and I want to make sure that I get a camera that I will be happy with for many years to come.
Thanks so much:-),
Matt
I just bought the Fuji S6500FD, and I'm very happy with the movie mode. There's no limit on the size of a movie clip, and my 2GB card says that its got around 29mins of recording time left when empty. Since video is important to you, I think Fuji would be the better option as clip size is not restricted.

Just a correction to your statement, Fuji is 6MP, not 7MP. And I don't believe XD cards are 'out'. I'm sure they will continue to be available widely for a long while. Most people speak disparingly of Fuji's XD only support only because they can't use the SD cards from their previous camera. The complaints are actually good news for Fuji, as that means they know their cams are doing well. Bad news is good news I guess.
Shahmatt is offline   Reply With Quote