Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 25, 2007, 4:55 AM   #1

Hello I want to buy my wife a camera. She had used my camera's befor (minolta Z2 and Panasonic FZ30) but since I want to buy a DSLR, I want to buy my wife a good camera wich can take good movies too.

You probably think, well better to buy a camcorder and a P&S, but I just sold my Sony DVD camcorder, because I think the results were not that great. I thought the movie mode of the minolta Z2 gave a better result than the DVD camcorder. Also because a DVD can't be processed and has to be converted first.

The movie mode of the FZ30 is also good, but my wife has a bit of a problem with using the FZ30 because to halfpress the shutter is somehow a bit of a problem now and then, and I know the movie quality can be better.

My wife will mostly use the camera indoors (with flash) or outdoors when the weather is good.

I know the S3 from canon has good photo and movie quality, so that was my firts sugestion, but maybe some-one else has any better sugestions.

I hope to hear from you guys!

Thanks

Rudo
Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2007, 5:19 AM   #2
Super Moderator

There is a new Canon TX1 coming soon.

If you can wait a little bit it looks brilliant.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 6:01 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply!

I didn't know this one was coming, and though it looks interesting, I think it will be above my budget.

But I'll checkmy wallet again:-)

Any other suggestion are more than welcome.

Rudo
Old Mar 25, 2007, 3:09 PM   #4

I've got a Canon S2 IS (predecessor to S3 IS) and I do get good photos and videos from it.

The one caution would be to understand how long a video clip you expect to take. Both the S2 and S3 are limited to 1GB clips which at highest resolution is about 8-9 minutes. The S3 can take larger SD cards than the S2 (called SDHC), but each individual clip is still limited to 1GB in file size.

Some of the smaller/newer Canon's P&S models do not have that 1GB file limit and support the larger SDHC cards (but you would be giving up some of the manual controls and the larger zoom - in case that matters).

I've tried a few other devices for their video (a really cheap hybrid and the Sanyo Xacti CA6) but wasn't happy with the video quality. I'm waiting for a Casio EX-V7 to see if that's a good "pocketable" camera with good video quality - and it's 7x zoom in a small format camera would be a bonus.

D
dennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 3:48 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply D....

I'll probably buy a S3 soon, or maybe I'll wait a bit and hope that there will be a S4 so the price on the S3 will drop. In the mean time I can wait till the TX1 comes out and see how much it will cost. Dunno yet.

Rudo
Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:07 PM   #6

If you have checked the prices lately, the S3 is down to as low as $299. US. I don't think personally that they will go down much farther. IMO, they will stop making them rather than not make a profit when the S5 is finally announced.
My 2 cents worth anyways.
gerrydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 1:56 AM   #7

gerrydee wrote:
Quote:
If you have checked the prices lately, the S3 is down to as low as $299. US. I don't think personally that they will go down much farther. IMO, they will stop making them rather than not make a profit when the S5 is finally announced.
My 2 cents worth anyways.
And the high end P&S may just well go away with how cheap entry level SLR's have gottten ($500 or less)

That was the high end P&S market those who couldn'y quit swing a SLR....and wanted the features even of fixed lens... other than size/weight that is no longer true.

And many like the high end Fuji's were even constructed to be SLR foot print.

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 8:44 AM   #8

you could also maybe consider the Fuji S6500FD? Its similiar to the Canon S3, except that its movie mode is more versatile. You can shoot until the card is full. I don't believe there are any file size restrictions.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...i_s6000fd.html
Shahmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 4:41 AM   #9

Shahmatt wrote:
Quote:
you could also maybe consider the Fuji S6500FD? Its similiar to the Canon S3, except that its movie mode is more versatile. You can shoot until the card is full. I don't believe there are any file size restrictions.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...i_s6000fd.html
Hello, Thanks for your sugestion, but in a review on DPreview the movie mode is compared with the S3, and the S3 is better. The fuji's movie modelooks a bit blocky.

So I think I'll go for the S3!

Everybody, thanks for the replies and sugestions!

Rudo