Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 31, 2007, 2:04 PM   #11

I have a oly e500. It was my first digital camera and I am happy with it. If you are looking to save money, you can get one new now with 2 excellent kit lens for less than $600. Great price for a great camera.

If you are willing to spend $1000 and have some patience, wait for the e510 coming out this summer. It has 10mp, is, better low light autofocus, better noise at high iso. Although nobody knows how much better.

Good things abt Oly:

lightness, quality control, image quality, lots of features for the price,good lens

bad things:

more noise at high iso

slower autofocus

andy

andyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 5:09 PM   #12

ok

So After reading up on the XTI I really like it. Then I started to read about the pentax k10d and was really impressed. Can anyone tell me ifit would be worth the extra cash to upgrade to the k10d? Is it really an upgrade? I guess I could save alittle longer and go this route. But I just can't go for the Nikon d80. Everything just seems to get proportionatly more expensive with Nikon.

Thanks in advance for the help

Bob
BobTheNailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 6:00 PM   #13

Bob-

Hayward is our resident Pentax K10D expert. I am sure that he can give you some pointers and discuss the features.

To keep costs down, I would take a look at the Canon XT. The difference between the XT and the XTi is 2mp and you can barely see the differences. And here is a photo sample for you using that Sigma 30mm F 1.4 lens mounted on my XT. It was taken at ISO 800 without flash and handheld. This is the lens that I mentioned as an excellent choice for your no flash baby photos.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:35 AM   #14

andyross wrote:
Quote:
I have a oly e500. It was my first digital camera and I am happy with it. If you are looking to save money, you can get one new now with 2 excellent kit lens for less than $600. Great price for a great camera.

If you are willing to spend $1000 and have some patience, wait for the e510 coming out this summer. It has 10mp, is, better low light autofocus, better noise at high iso. Although nobody knows how much better.

Good things abt Oly:

lightness, quality control, image quality, lots of features for the price,good lens

bad things:

more noise at high iso

slower autofocus

andy

Thats as accurately one can put down the stuff about E-500.

Andy, how du find the 800 ISO shots from your E-500 ? I think they aren't
all that buzzy and quite printable even at A4. 1600 ISO is definitely not advisable
in low light ... it might however be usefull for well lit sport scenes which don't have
too many shadow areas.

There's another issue with the kit lenses. The manual focus ring isn't so responsive.
However the focus ring on the 14-54 ZD is a dream ... I dunno Oly did that on purpose ? Maybe they can fix that with a firmware upgrade.

Anyways ... if low light budget DSLR is what one wants then its definitely not
Oly. But for everything else and that makes almost the majority I shoot, I simply
love my E-500.

Cheers,
--
Gaggu

gaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 1:11 PM   #15

I am cautiously optimistic that the newer Olympus models will retain all of the plusses of the E-500, and add good low light performance. It does seem the E-400 reportedly was much improved over the E-500 in low light autofocus speed, and early E-410 samples suggest a useable ISO 1600 (though still noisier than current APS-C sized sensors). Add 1-2 stops of stabilization and that should do the trick. It will still take a clear back seat to Canon in action situations, where you would want more than 3 autofocus points, rather than focus and recompose.

I'll add that the Sigma 30mm f1.4 which Sarah mentioned for the XT, is also the best choice right now for low light shooting on the Olympus cameras. And, it's really the only good choice as well for the Nikon D40 and D40x (which also have only 3 AF points). So I expect they'll sell alot of those.

As for the K10D, I'm not sure why it's in this discussion. It's around $900 body only. The D80 of course should also be in consideration if you are in that price range, I think it's maybe $20 more (at least in the US).

The entry level Pentax models, on the other hand, might be worth considering here. I believe you can get into the K100D and two lenses for under that $750 target price. I'm not sure if they extended or replaced that rebate offer which ended last week, but I think that was one of the best camera values around. The only drawback seems to be "only" 6 MP, but I doubt that makes a big difference in even large prints.

While both Pentax and Olympus offer good value on the budget end, if you don't mind approaching that $1000 price, I'd take a look at a Canon 400D paired with a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 Di lens. I'm not sure what the concern is with off camera flash, though. You should at least be able to use use an external sync cable. And I believe wireless is also available if you use the 580EX as a master.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 4:22 PM   #16

kenbalbari wrote:
Quote:
I'll add that the Sigma 30mm f1.4 which Sarah mentioned for the XT, is also the best choice right now for low light shooting on the Olympus cameras. And, it's really the only good choice as well for the Nikon D40 and D40x (which also have only 3 AF points). So I expect they'll sell alot of those.
Ken, can I get some clarification. What is it that makes the 30mm 1.4 the best choice for those cameras with 3 AF points? Not arguing as I know nothing about this lens. But what makes it better than any other 1.4 lens? Or say a 1.2 lens? Just having trouble understanding what the correlation is wth the 3-point AF cameras. Or let me ask it this way: If lens A is better focusing in low light then lens B on a camera with more focus points, why would it not be better focusing on a camera with 3 AF points? Just trying to understand what the 3 AF points has to do with whether one lens is better in low light than another. Hopefully, my question makes sense :-)
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 9:54 PM   #17

The reason the Canon XT is being offered at such a low price is that Canon either is going to, or already has, discontinued the XT in favor of the XTi (just as they discontinued the Digital Rebel after the XT took center stage).

I've had an XT for almost two years now, and other than your point about not triggering remote flash units (which isn't a factor for me), I'd say grab that low-priced XT. You won't really notice any difference in sharpness or detail from 8 to 10 megapixels (you can make 2'x3' prints from 8 megs) and the results are terrific. It's also virtually weightless when carried on a shoulder strap.
wayndom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 9:57 PM   #18

BTW, as I'm sure you already know, the XT and the 350D are the same camera (and apparently, somewhere - I can only guess Japan? - it's called the "KissN"). Go figure.
wayndom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Ken, can I get some clarification. What is it that makes the 30mm 1.4 the best choice for those cameras with 3 AF points?
Well, it's not really related to the 3 point AF, that was just an aside, noting the new low end Nikons also have that same limitation. But what makes it a good choice with both is simply that there aren't many other choices that will focus as well. The new entry level Nikon cameras have no AF motor in the body, so most existing fast Nikon prime lenses won't autofocus with them. For the moment, I think that Sigma is the only fast prime with a focal length under 100mm which will autofocus with those cameras.

There are a few more autofocus normal to short tele primes for the Olympus. I'm not sure about the Sigma 24mm f1.8, but it's a macro lens and doesn't have HSM so it may not focus as quickly. I'm sure the Leica D Summilux 25mm f1.4 is very nice, but it's also very expensive. And the Zuiko 50 f2.0 is a very nice portrait lens (more for head and shoulders shots), but doesn't focus quickly enough in low light, at least on the E-500. It should do better on the newer cameras, but I'm guessing the Sigma 30 f1.4 would still be the first choice for low light.

By the way, there's nothing wrong with buying a body with no autofocus motor. Canon has sold bodies without autofocus motors for nearly 20 years. But their lense therefore all have the motor in the lens, so it's not a problem. Nikon probably should have simply made more AF-S prime lenses available before making this change.

I suppose most people today don't use many primes, because modern zooms are so good. And f2.8 will be enough for many situations as long as there's no action requiring a fast shutter. But it's still good to have at least one large aperture prime for times when f2.8 just isn't bright enough. And (as you know) f1.4 is 4 times as bright as f2.8, so a big difference in low light.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 12:59 AM   #20

kenbalbari wrote:
Quote:
As for the K10D, I'm not sure why it's in this discussion. It's around $900 body only. The D80 of course should also be in consideration if you are in that price range, I think it's maybe $20 more (at least in the US).

The entry level Pentax models, on the other hand, might be worth considering here. I believe you can get into the K100D and two lenses for under that $750 target price.
Well under that actually if you hunt around. (100D) And 10D also less for bod only...

10D only mentioned because of XTi, which is also getting up there in price. (Though still cheap XT's and even some new left over (maybe refurb) 300D original Rebels.)
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote