Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 25, 2007, 9:39 AM   #1

Ok, I have been reading hear for days and finally registered.
Hello all!
I have been looking at a lot of models but narrowed the field.
I really like the Canon xti, but am troubled by the fact that it dosen't have the ability to trigger a flash not on the hot shoe. Is there a work around on this?
The other choice I think is to wait for the Olympus E410 or E510 to arrive.
Would like 10mp..or 8 or better and stay well under a $1000 to start. ( like $750)

Cameras I have crossed off the list and why
N40x dosen't bracket
OlyE500 3 point af slow bad low light
Sony alpha lot of low light noise
most others by price. ex N80/pentax

one note a guy by me in north jersey has the Canon xt for under 500 with a kit lense, bag and a few little extras. I think we are seeing a price drop with all the new models coming out.
thannks for all the help

BOB
BobTheNailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2007, 1:21 PM   #2

I went with the 350D after being in the same position as your good self, and i am very satisfied that i made the correct choice.
mweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 8:37 AM   #3

The Olympus 410/510 still have 3 point autofocus.

Don't get hung up on numbers. Most use 1 AF point and thats the center one. Is 10 mp better than 8mp? Bottom line is most wouldn't notice a difference in resolution and noise typically increases with pixel density. Camera manufacturers like getting folks caught up in the numbers because it sells cameras.

The best deal well may be the used XT because you could spend $500 on a couple of decent lenses (or 1 pretty nice one) and stay on the $1000 budget. The lenses are the one thing that can impact image quality most, and they will carry over to a new body if you upgrade within the manufacturers lineup. The Canon kit lenses are not great, so keep that in mind.

I own Olympus and I enjoy my E500. If your going to do alot of low light photography with low existing light (no flash), it is probaby not the best choice. Auto focus will have trouble locking on and high ISO noise is a stop worse. I don't see that changing much with the E410 and E510 with the exception of IS on the E510 will help with slower shutter speeds. If your backpacking or doing nature photography with telephoto lenses, Oly looks alot better. Olympus also has great lenses and even the kit lenses are quite good.

Your original post didn't say much about how your going to use your camera, so what's best is hard to say.

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 9:38 AM   #4

Thanks.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The $488 price for the Xt is new... with a cheap bag, and tripod. The place is 6th ave electronice in Bergen county. They are usa not grey, ut very often Do Not Have in Stock!!! The good thing is I live by 2 of them and they can give me a rain check so it is easy just to get it when they have it.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I have a young daughter and another one on the way... And have just a general interest in photograph, so its hard to say what I will be doing except that I wont be popping the flash in the baby's face.LOL Can't disturb the sleep...

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I have always be partial to Olympus with my point and shoots and I like the sensor layout better... I guess that means that I am still very undicided.LOL

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"thanks for all the help
Old Mar 28, 2007, 11:58 AM   #5

That's not a bad deal. Is that the 6th Ave Electronics on Rt17 North in Paramus? I may have to check that out. My gf is looking to pick up one of these to learn on.
RTM1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 1:15 PM   #6

Bob-

Considering that there will be times when you do not want to use the 350D's built-in flash, please keep in mind that the kit lens that comes with the camera is quite a competent lens but it does not have a really "fast" orwide aperture.

If you are goiing to be doing a lot of low light level shooting, you might want to consider a lens with a wider aperture, such as the Sigma 30mm F 1.4 lens.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 9:56 PM   #7

sorry,

that was the place I was thinking about, but the 2 adds look the same to me. Its Not 6th ave, its Electronics Expo on rt 17 in paramus. Just a few doors down. I just ran upstairs to check the add. $488.

Good Luck

BOB
Old Mar 28, 2007, 9:59 PM   #8

great advice.. What would the sigma lens you mention or a similar one set me back? Would it worth looking into a used one, maybe on ebay or something?

Bob
Old Mar 28, 2007, 11:24 PM   #9

Bob-

Ipurchased two Sigma 30mm F 1.4 lenses on ebay at very attractive prices. both ran right around $(US) 300.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 5:32 AM   #10

BobTheNailer wrote:
Quote:
Would like 10mp..or 8 or better and stay well under a $1000 to start. ( like $750)
Not quite that low... but 8's if you look around.... you should give consideration to the Pentax K10D
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote