Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 26, 2007, 8:45 AM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1

I would like to know what sort of camera to buy (preferably digital, but film/ both would be useful too) for taking pictures of REALLY small things. Obviously a tripod would be needed but I am talking about things filling the screen that are less than an inch across- sometimes as small as 1/4 inch. This is for my degree (entomology) and for hobby...

I'm looking for best in terms of what it can do, the best in terms of price, resolution... and finally one that you think would give me the best in terms of value for money.


infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2007, 9:22 AM   #2
Senior Member
TCav's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,687

What your talking about is macrophotography. Microphotography is when a camera is mated to a microscope.

Search these forums for the term "macro". You'll find lots of choices.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 1:18 PM   #3
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 25

Some of the new cameras out now have a feature called super-macro in addition to the macro feature. The new Olympus SP-550UZ has this feature and I was quite impressed.



This person may be an expert at doing this. I don't know how much post-processing is involved. Hey, if you can see the pollen on the bee, it is amazing.

Check out which other cameras has the super-macro feature.
Deadzone1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 3:43 PM   #4
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3

Close up or macro photography is fairly straightforward now with either a super macro digicam or an SLR with macro lens and extension tubes or bellows. There are plenty of books on close up photography - I like Lester Lefkovitz's book but I think it is out of print. Photographing insects is not easy but if you put the insect in a freezer for a short time it will slow it right down and you can photograph it as it wakes up. Remember to tell other freezer users what you are doing as discovering insects when looking for food can be unpleasant!
Microphotography is the reduction of large images to very small ones as in microfilming and photo-reduction for photofabrication as was used for producing microcircuits and micro chips. Without microphotography the computer would not have been developed!
Taking photographs down a microscope is called photomicrography - so the correct term for close up photography is photomacrography but macrophotography is commonly used now.
Lighting is very important and small flash guns can be used as they are near the subject so do not need to be very powerful. Putting tracing paper diffusers over the flash can give excellent results.
Best of luck!
Ianphot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 8:10 PM   #5
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 49

Start here. http://www.macrophotography.org/index.php

You should find all the answeres to your questions.
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 PM.