Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 29, 2007, 5:56 PM   #11

Machine-

Congratulations on your new camera. The Canon 300D will serve you well and give you an excellent launching platform for your increased interests in photography. Good Luck and Happy Shooting.

MT/Sarah

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 7:44 PM   #12

Thanks for the replies Sarah.

I've had a bit of a dilemma tonight. I took the Rebel out to play in the nightclubs. 6 shots into setting the camera up I got an error message on my screen!
Needless to say I had to format the CF card.

Then 6 shots in, I got another error message on my screen! It seems that the card is a duff!! And so, I couldn't put my new camera to the test.

The few shots I did manage to take seemed brilliant. The camera did not seem to struggle at all in the low-light environment. And, the initial shots were taken on the pre-programmed modes. I'm sure that with a little attention I will be taking fantastic photos.

I know that using the viewfinder rather than the LCD will take some getting used to, but using a real viewfinder is a pleasure. No more noisy digital viewfinders! Bliss.

Please can you recommend any lenses and a good flash unit to me.
TheMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 8:59 PM   #13

The Canon Flashes easily surpass the generics. I use a Canon 420EX but that flash is from more than a few years ago. Lens-wise, I have had great success with the Canon 18-55mm kit lens. To that I have added the Canon 28-135mm IS and it is brilliant. In fact it is my favorite "walk around" lens.

The Sigma 18-125mm lens and the Sigma 18-200mm lens as well as the Tokina 24-200mm lens are also very good. My focus, as a Professional Instructor has been on Nikon, but I find myself continuously returning to Canon and Pentax equipment as well to provide ample balance to my workshops.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 1:32 AM   #14

Congrats on the 300D had a used one for a couple of years and about 40K frames, before moving on to a Pentax K10D after giving up on Canon ever getting a 40D out or any non lens IS.

If low light is important, you should track down the hacked Firmware for it, which gives the 300D many of the features of the Canon 10D, including ISO 3200.

Just did a quick Google.... check
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...ware_hack.html

And actually the 300D built in flash is surpisingly powerful.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 4:02 AM   #15
Super Moderator

Did you manage to work out what the problem was, is it card or camera?

The built flash has a guidenumber of 13m at ISO100 which is not bad however if you get the 430EX which replaced the 420EX and the 430EX has a guide number of 43m at ISO100 which will allow you to have a lot more creativity. If you want to go for the daddy then the 580EX is what I use and is great. By having the extra power of either of these flash units you will be able to get much more creative with the shots you take. For ideas how you could do this have a look at this thread http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=90where I cover a basic technique which you might find interesting.

Hope you continue to enjoy your new camera.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 4:51 AM   #16

Thanks for the feedback everybody.

Mark, I haven't investigated the card issue yet. I'm going to go and buy another CF shortly. It's likely a card fault since a it was quite an old, disused one which a friend gave me.

I'm heading over to Wales tomorrow for a week in the great British rain. I'm hoping for some nice clear days to introduce my camera to those stunning landscapes.

Hayward, thanks for the firmware suggestions. To be honest I'm a little nervous when it comes to firmwares. I have upgraded firmware on previous digital products, but I've always used the official firmware updates.

I upgraded a mobile phone with hacked firmware last year and it pretty much killed the phone.
Can this happen to cameras too? And is there a way to roll-back the install?
Old Mar 30, 2007, 5:37 AM   #17

Mark, I've just looked at the sample images you linked me to there. Very nice work. I like that effect very much.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 5:36 PM   #18

Are you familiar with the Opton 500mm tele lens?

I've found this online selling boxed, new for just £100, or £120 with a 2x multiplier lens.
The seller has posted sample images at 500mm, 800mm and 1600mm and it looks fantastic, but the price makes the lens seem a little suspect.

Worth buying and trying you think?

Attached Images

Old Mar 31, 2007, 4:59 AM   #19

TheMachine wrote:
Quote:
Hayward, thanks for the firmware suggestions. To be honest I'm a little nervous when it comes to firmwares. I have upgraded firmware on previous digital products, but I've always used the official firmware updates. a way to roll-back the install?
It works and easy... just be sure batttery is fully charged or near full before you do it to be safe but really only takes about 90 sec..

Its easy once you get the card thing straightened out.... all you do is copy the file to a blank formatted CF card... start up the camera (maybe holding a button too... I forget, again the instructions tell you)... it sees the file and says do it? yes or no?

You will get the FULL 10D custom menu... but only the firmware based things will work... like ISO 3200 and mirror lock up, amoungst others.... not the hardware based stuff not common to 300D. The update file usually comes with a text file that tells you exactly which actually work.... about 7 out of 17.

And really the ONLY HACK to it is switching a single bit from 0 to 1 so I have heard (and the file id already named as correctly auto seen as an update).... the code was ALL already there just turned off/bypassed.
Canon has NEVER let that happen again. (with 20/30 and XT's)

And yes though a bit cumbersome it CAN be undone.... not that I have heard of anyone NEEDING to.... and even cameras sent to Canon under warrantty WITH the hacked firmware, still repaired, and returned with it.

Likely because it is so transparent unless you look for the ver no. (Canon has never released a 300D update so why look) or the Custom (sub) menu.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 9:06 AM   #20

I read some bad press on this firmware version. And to quote the linked site...

Quote:
...The function display numbers are screwed up. Instead of 1 through 17, it goes, 1,10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5. The repeated ones, twos, threes and fours are not a mistake. The funtion number window at the top of the menu works just fine though, just like the 10D. The menu itself operates perfectly in spite of the mislabling, and all of the items appear to be identical to the 10D, except for funtion 17. That is different. On the Rebel it specifies the number of seconds before the image is taken when mirror release in in effect. To me that is *great*, because I do not have to touch the camera again to take the shot - I don't need a remote control.

The default button in delete prompt was changed from 'Cancel' to 'OK'. So, be aware.
Now if you want to delete an image, press DEL button and then SET one. To Cancel press any other key.

I really don't like the sound of that.

Back from Wales! And the camera performed very well. I'm still very pleased.
I haven't had time to trasnfer my photos yet having only just walked through the door but I did shoot some fantastic landscapes. Although, I missed so many amazing shots due to the sea haze which covers the mountains along the coast.
The 300D seemed to struggle a little with the haze and I will be investing in a UV haze filter this week.

I did manage to capture a few nice scenes including the landscapes surrounding a couple of the famous Welsh castles.

And... I've somehow managed to get some grit behind my lens. It seems to be behind the first lens, the one at the top near the viewfinder with the little squares printed on it. Don't ask me how it got there because I've taken care with the lens.
Is there a way to get in there to clean it?

Here are some of my shots from Wales...