Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 27, 2007, 1:01 PM   #1

Hi all.

I've been looking for a DSLR to replace my Fuji S9600.

I've found a great dealer and can get a 350D for £260, which I'm sure you will agree is a good price.

In terms of performance, how does this camera weigh up?

Thanks guys.
TheMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2007, 5:49 PM   #2

What kind of performance are you looking for?

dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 5:58 PM   #3

Well it's entry-level so I'm not expecting to be blown away.

I'm looking to be more creative with my photography and advance my skills.
I expect better overall performance than I get from the S9600.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 11:40 AM   #4

The canon 350D/XT will surely give you more photo capability, performance, and flexibility than the Fuji S-9600. However, you must understand that it comes at a price.

Your S-9600 has a lens (expressed in 35mm terms) that gives you 28 to 300mm. To get an equal lens for the Canon 350D will also require a lens investment as well. So the 260 pound price is a good deal more dear to get an equal lens.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 12:32 PM   #5

Yes I appreciate that I'm going to have to invest in an expensive lens, and an external flash too from what the reviews tell me. But it's a worthy investment for me since photography has become a real passion.

I've been out to have a look at the camera today, and I've decided to purchase the 300D to begin. It's less powerful than the 350D, not to mention slightly larger and heavier, but it's still powerful enough for any amateur making the switch from compact to DLSR.

The 300D is still a prosumer camera and by no means a professional DSLR, but it's costing me to same price as I paid for the S9600 (which is being sold on for the same price). If you had to spend the same money on one of these two cameras, which would you choose?

I can live with 6.3 megapixels, and I don't need any zoom power at the moment, so it's all good.

I'm going to purchase the camera in the morning.

More comments and feedback welcome

Old Mar 28, 2007, 12:32 PM   #6

Can you guys also recommend a nice lens. I'm going to look at getting something next week.

Old Mar 28, 2007, 7:45 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Although it is quite old now you can get some lovely results with the 300D. How much have you budgeted for to get the lens/lenses to cover the focal lengths needed? Also what sort of photography will you want to be doing?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 7:52 PM   #8

Perhaps it is just a very personal opinion. However, I am willing to drop BACKWARDS one generation if the price is right, but in this case the Canon 300D is three generations PAST. Meaning if you begin with the current CanonXTi, the next generation is the canon350D/XT, and yes, the Canon 300D, which was, in its day,a ground breaking camera, is 3 generations displaced from the current Canon XTi.

Personally, I would seriously re-consider my decision.

MT/Sarah
Old Mar 28, 2007, 10:50 PM   #9

Machine-

Because with a little research I have determined that night club or very low light level photography is where your interest really seems to lie. including your experiments with the Kodak P-880 and the P-712, I have to say that the Canon 300D will most probably not be a very good, or adequateanswer for your decalred ultra low light levelphotography interests.

Surely, the Canon 350D/XT or the Canon XTi represents a better answer to your needsIMHO. The Canon 20D would be an even better answer. If budget is a problem, and if you are considering the bootstrap firmware answer to boost the Caon 300D to an ISO 3200 capability, you might want to re-think that strategy, as it has not been a wholly sucessful solution at all to creating a "better' Canon 300D. It could indeed be money wasted. And that would be a real pity.

MT/Sarah
Old Mar 29, 2007, 6:22 AM   #10

I'm going to be shooting indoors, in bars and nightclubs, but I've developed a real passion for photography and would like to be more creative shooting landscapes, and even portraits.

Budget is a problem for me at this point. I only decided to get this camera because I found one at the same price I was paying for the S9600.
I appreciate that this is not a great model compared to it's children but reviews lead me to believe that this is a great camera for an amateur to start with.

I'll likely upgrade once I am familiar with everything and feel worthy of shooting with a £500+ camera.

Also... I have to ask myself, do I really want to be patrolling the nightclubs and streets of Manchester with a £500 camera? Some foolish local Gangsters tried to take my P880 from me just before Christmas. They were unsuccessful. However this is something to keep in mind. I'm working in a very volatile environment, surrounded by drunken crowds and free-flowing liquids.

But, it's too late to consider anything else now. I've just got home with my new 300D, and so far I'm very pleased