Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 3, 2007, 4:01 PM   #51

Whether the SR, OS, or IS does anything or not, perhaps its presence in the camera provides some degree of self confidence to the camera user. Perhaps with the camera user knowing that some form of IS is present in the camera, that makes a difference.

Because I posted a sample taken with a non IS equipped Canon XT, I should also post a photo sample from a SR equipped camera as well. This sample was taken with a Pentax K100D/SR fitted with the Sigma 18-125mm lens, at ISO 800, AWB, 1/60sec, no pp, image resized to meet posting requirements. It looks fairly close to the XT photo sample to my eyes.

MT/Sarah

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 8:06 PM   #52

Meatwhistle wrote:
Quote:
I guess you will just go home with dark blurry pictures and then tell us that you only shoot sports.
Wow - what an intelligent argument. You know I took a look through the pictures I posted again and not one of them was a sports shot. Imagine that.

Take a moment from patting yourself on your back for your wit and wisdom, meatwhistle, and re-read the question Hayward posed. Here, I'll help you out. It was this:
Quote:
can you see that shot with direct flash let alone loosing the moment fumbling to get it all together?
I believe all these shots are in the same league as the shot posted demonstrating the all mighty power of IS. Also, if you actually read my statements you'll see I never say IS is a useless feature. Quite the contrary. I just don't give it the high importance some others here seem to. And I argue that other features and knowledge will have far more impact on your succes than IS will. And, shockingly enough - I backed up my argument with (are you ready for this???) - ACTUAL PHOTOS. What a novel concept. Again, I'm waiting for all those fabulous shots that are a result of IS and IS alone. Please feel free to join in the fun and share some of your work.

Others reading these posts can judge my opininions and the veracity of my statements against the quality of my work. I've shown I practice what I preach. I notice however you don't feel confident enough in your work to share. Show us all your skill with IS and what fabulous portrait shots YOU have (remember that's what the question was about - shots like the one Jim posted). I looked at your posting history but couldn't seem to find much in the way of photos - I must have just missed those posts.

But I digress. Which one of the non-sports photos I published in this thread was blurry? Please, I obviously missed something so enlighten me.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 8:09 PM   #53

Meatwhistle wrote:
Quote:
What ifthe ISO speed and lens don't meet the controlled conditions you have in those staged shots? What about all of the above?

All joking asside - not a single shot above was staged. They were all moments I captured because I was ready for them. I didn't move a person, animal or object to obtain any of them. I captured them as they happened. Sad that you have to resort to such comments rather than admit that these shots are just plain good captures - even if I didn't use the all-mighty IS to obtain them.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 8:42 PM   #54

i Think we should try and stay out of the "getting personal room". Everybody is entitled to his/her opinion.

i lent a couple of VR lenses for my last trip to the old inlaws. I had already decided that if they where the answer to my prayers i would skip system from nikon to pentax or sony. But............. I mainly do people shots, and my darn chinese family ( PARTICULAR fatherinlaw, who won't stop smoking in photos even if i can't make out his face through the fumes ) can't keep still long enough in a poorly lit room. My inlaws come from the rural areas of henan so bad lighting is imminent every time you consider taking a photo inside a room. I found i got a lot of nicely lit rooms but a lot of blurry faces. I went to the local guanyin temple and TADAAAA here is where the VR came out to shine. For me at least temple shooting is where i would love to have the VR effect, but for peopleshooting i can't get my subjects to keep still long enough to enjoy the IS/VR effect.

I think IS/VR/AS/SR is a great function, and should i start over again i might consider i closely. But for me here in china it comes with a price. Pentax and penta lenses are hard to find here in china, and i don't care for manual focus. It has proved so much easier to get something in canon and nikon mount here in china, than getting something for pentax.
monx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 9:01 PM   #55

Three years ago, I went out with my Nikon CoolPix 880 at about 11 PM on Christmas Eve to take pictures of the decorations for our community newsletter. It was cold and I was shivering. 80-90% of the shots were useless.

Last year, I went out with my Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D (with Anti-Shake) to do the same thing. Again, it was cold and I was shivering. 90% of the shots were perfect.

I attribute a good portion of the significant change in the keeper rate to Anti-Shake.

So, lay into me now. Really let me have it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 9:08 PM   #56

I think, that is excactly where i would be wanting the OS/IS/AS/SSS/VR effect as well.

a cold day, with a ( i presume )stationary target ( don't know how x-mas lights work in the states :-)).

monx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 9:39 PM   #57

One of last year's keepers.
Attached Images

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 9:42 PM   #58

Interesting subject, but I think a better question is how many of the photos would have been WORSE with IS. I'd guess there would be no disadvantage if you used the feature if you had the option. If you felt as if you needed to demonstrate your abilities without stabilization, you could switch it off, but if you desired the benefit when it wasn't available, your out of luck.

Most of my shooting is with high shutter speeds and I won't change just because of the availability of IS, but to not take it into consideration, when available, when making a purchase would be foolish. Weigh the benefit vs. cost with your photography style as a guide.

No need to slam other peoples choices. Just try to help others choose the right system for their needs.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 10:03 PM   #59

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
And there are also some quality third party optics that are very readily available for Canon and Nikon that are difficult to find for Pentax and not available for Olympus. The third party lensesdon't have IS, yet thousands of photographers still manage to take wonderful pictures with them.
I guess that that would be an issue if a manufacturer failed to produce quality lenses at decent prices to fit your needs.

From the 4:3 website:

MTF evaluation frequencies by lens manufacturers]

Olympus
:
Low frequency: 20 lines/mm

High frequency: 60 lines/mm

Panasonic
:
Low frequency: 20 lines/mm

High frequency: 40 lines/mm

Sigma
:
Low frequency: 10 lines/mm

High frequency: 30 lines/mm

Why do I want a Sigma when Olympus produces great glass?

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 10:17 PM   #60

I personally do not think this a matter for personal bashing/battering at all. Afterall, to use or not use IS, or whatever name it might have, is really a personal decision. Why can't we just leave it at that. Likewise, the personal priority you place upon IS (generic term) is again a personal decision, and may indeed vary for person to person, or even group to group.

AsI have posted in this thread, I shoot photoswith and without IS (generic term) depending upon which camera Ihappen to beusing. Both categories of photos look good to my eye.

Suffice it to say: IS is a useful assist, and everyone purchasing a new camera, makes their own decision, and places their own priority on IS, based personal preferences, desires, and experience. Because we are all somewhat different by way of experience, preferences, and desires, I don't think that there in one all inclusive answer, that applies to all. So perhaps it the time to let the topic just become a personal decision.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote