Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 28, 2007, 11:26 PM   #1

This question comes from someone who isn't in anyway a camera geek, so all those of you who are, please don't go "Tusk, flipping typical newbie."

Whenthe digital camera craze kicked off my father bought a FujiFilm FinePix 4900Zoom to impress his friends he was going on holiday with. I set it up for him and told him how to work it. Apparently I did a bad job though because he mistook the on/off switch for the shutter release and came back thinking he'd taken 100s of pictures fromat 16MB memory card. When I said "Really?" and explained why, it went back in box and nevercame out again. He does this all the time, with electrical items. He only stopped using the original Philips video recorder (the one that competed with Betamax) a couple of years ago, jumping straight to DVDs.

He's threatening to get thecamera out again. Is it worth me sitting down and explaining it more thoroughly to him or should I get him a simpler one? If so, what should I get him. I'm inclined to get him a newer one because they're simple (he can't be bothered to learn new stuff half the time) and he's only got a 16MB and 32MB SmartMedia card for his old camera and new ones are problematic to find.
JimBowen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2007, 1:00 PM   #2

Jim-

The Fuji 4900 (a very good camera in its day)is by now, I would guess, about 5 years old. Smart Media chips are hard to find as well. So your idea to go to a new and much simpler camera for yourDad is very valid. Cameras are also much cheaper now as well. You might want to look at the Kodak cameras, as they are very simple.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 12:17 PM   #3

Thanks. That's what I thought. His camera's closer to 6 or 7yrs old I think.
JimBowen1 is offline   Reply With Quote