Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 29, 2007, 2:56 AM   #1

It's time to move up from my trusty S5200, which I've really enjoyed using. It's been a very good camera, but I find myself needing something that offers more creative control and capability. I shoot mostly landscapes, architecture and macro, so manual zoom and focus rings as well as a fairly wide-range lens are important. A bit more resolution wouldn't hurt either. I haven't actually held one in my hands yet, but the Fuji S9100 seems to fit my needs at first glance. I'm familiar with Fuji cameras having used the S5200 for almost 18 months and an S3100 before that, so the S9100's learning curve which I've heard so much about shouldn't be a problem.

I was considering a DSLR like the Olympus E500 or the Nikon D40, but I really don't relish the idea ofhumping extra lenses and gear around the countryside on one of my hiking tripsor missing a shot because the wrong lens is on the camera. I don't take a lot of action shots either, so ultra-fast response isn't high on the priority list.

The few reviews of the S9100 that are out there are mostly positive, but I'd really like to hear from folks that are actually using the camera.Thanks in advance for your input.I hope to have my new camera in about a week if all goes well.
:-)
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2007, 11:21 PM   #2

Toshi-

Both you andI have been around for quite awhile. In my humble opinion, this might be the correct timeto explore the DSLR realm rather than a bridge camera possibility.

That is just a very subtle sugestion.

Mt/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 1:06 AM   #3

Used its predacessors the S602 and S7000 and was happy with both so I'd guess the 9100 is continuing that tradition.

Personally I always found the 5200, kind of lacking (MHO)

I woulld also suggest though you think again about moving to a DSLR.... and add the Pentax K100D or preferably K10D if you could swing it to your list.

You really can get away with 2 lens a wide to normal zoom and a normal to long zoom.... and actually find my self going back and forth very little with my K10D, plus with its 10MP sensor, you can do quite severe cropping before loosing significant resolution.

I use a 28-70mm lens and a 70-300mm. Didn't get the kit version, or I'd just stick with its 18-55mm instead of the 28-70mm

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 10:51 PM   #4

Thanks, mtclimber and Hayward. Well, I took the plungeand ordered an S9100. I went to every camera shop in town (two or three times) and looked at everything from the Olympus SP550 UZ to the Nikon D40. Of the DSLRs, the only one that appealed to me was the Olympus E500, mostly because of it's light weight and good cost-to-performance ratio, but unfortunately, it's no longer available here. Even so, it would have cost me about $250 more than the price I ended up paying for the Fuji.

I take my camera with me whenever I go on a hike or an outing. I'm not as young as I used to be ( it's strange how quickly age happens, isn't it?) so I don't want tolug a heavy camera bag full of stuff around. I understand the compromises in buying a so-called 'bridge' camera,but I'm more than willing to live with them. The performance offered by these cameras has improved so much in recent years thatthey're not a real issue for me.

Anyway, thanks for your input. The S9100 should be here in a few days, and after I've put it through it's paces, I'll post some shots and let you know what I think of it. :-)
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote