Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 29, 2007, 9:30 PM   #1

I'm looking to buy my wife a new camera and need a recommendation since I am not up to speed on the latest technology. The following items are important and would be considered must requirements.

Size ā€“ Looking for something small that could fit into a pocket. Do not need a lot of bells and whistles, just point and shoot great quality images.

Speed ā€“ Quick start up and image capture.

Low Light ā€“ Ability to take pictures in low light.

Last night I was looking at a Finepix Z5. Would this meet my requirements and/or is there a better option? It seems to be new and I can not find any reviews. I'm hesitant to buy something that has not been proven.
Garmoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2007, 9:58 PM   #2

Your requirements have some conflicts such as Small and Low Light are generally in incompatable. You are not going to the best in both so you need read the reviews to make the tradeoffs you need.

I'd start by reading Steve's Best listhttp://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.htmland pay particular attention to the Ultra Compact (Pocketable) group. If a couple of those appear to meet your requirements try to find them in a store so that you can actually handle the cameras, play with the controls and go through the menus.

If none of the cameras in that list seem to meet your needs then look at the other groups in Steve's Best. You should find something suitable in the 5-8 megapixal range.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 11:12 PM   #3

Perhaps you might want to take a good look at the Kodak Z-885 camera.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 4:08 PM   #4

Just to add something to what ac.smith said...small and great quality images don't always go hand in hand, either. I'm not sure how large your wife's pockets are, but if a Fuji F31FD can fit inside, it would probably be faster, have better picture quality and be better in low light than the Z5. There are a couple of reviews around, and basically, it is the same camera as the F30, which had great reviews.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 7:07 PM   #5

Rinnie the Hun has certainly supplied a very excellent suggestion. If you need some increased zoomcapability as well, why not look at the Panasonic TZ-3.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote