Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 1, 2007, 11:28 AM   #11

Gerrydee, It is a Sony Alpha and I really do like the camera. I know it has some flaws in high iso performance but I very seldom use high iso so it's not a big deal for me. The shake reduction helps since I'm no spring chicken and I have been able to buy some classic Minolta lens on ebay fairly cheap. The 70-210 F4 Beercan is a great lens. Heavy, built like a tank, and very sharp for a 20 year old lens. I think I would have had to pay a lot more for lens with similar performance from Canon or Nikon. Here again they are all great cameras and I am glad to finally have one. Would I have enjoyed another of the brands as much? Probably. This one just seemed to be right for my hands and my type of shooting. All the best, C. W. P. S. Sorry we got off the topic. Get a Sony H2 or a Canon and enjoy it.
dwtbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 5:02 PM   #12

Minolta, love it. Still have my Minolta SLR. Best SLR I ever owned. Can't go wrong with that.
Knowing that Sony had bought out Konika/Minolta really had me thinking Sony H5 for an UZ. I don't do any low light shooting either so I don't need anything above ISO 200. I really was torn between the Sony H5 or the Canon S3. After handling both of them and reading reviews for about 3 months I decided to get off the pot and went with the S3. The video quality was the deal breaker. I really like taking movies and for me, the Canon was the best all-in-one. No need to carry 2 cameras around anymore.
gerrydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 11:02 PM   #13

I understand the Canon video is second to none. I really prefer a dedicated video for that purpose but it is a pain to carry the extra case along. I usually only use it for family gatherings and I leave that function to my wife. She really loves it. LOL I t's a Sony too. C. W.
dwtbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 3:48 PM   #14

Hi MommyB,
This is my first visit to the forums here and I felt I should weigh in on this subject since I just purchased one of these two cameras after narrowing it down to the pair.
I should first point out that I am an amateur at best and have literally had the camera for 3 days, so this is by no means an exhaustive review of either product, rather an insight into how somebody else in the same situation made his decision.
I did tons of research on dpreview, this site, CNET, imaging resource, consumer reports, etc. etc. etc. Basically in terms of features I was of the opinion that the two cameras were fairly close. Canon seemed to get a bit of an edge in macro and SDcard compatibility as well as having an articulated screen and perhaps a few more shooting modes/effects. The camera was to be shared by me and my girlfriend so I finally convinced her to come with me to the store to grab them and take some shots (along with the H5 which unfortunately wasn't powered for some reason, and the FZ7 which seemed like another option). I went into the hands-on portion assuming I would like the Canon and my gf woud like the Sony and it would be a problem. As it turned out, she liked the Canon and I liked the Sony, but her only reason was because she thought we could take pics on the SD card and then view them on her PDA (using same SD card) but her PDA is old and couldn't handle even the smallest files, so no dice. Without that option we both preferred the Sony.
Why? Basically we both found the Sony much easier to use and we preferred the placement of the controls. And she thought it was prettier. Basically I was able to pick up the H2 and start shooting in the store, admittedly only on macro and auto, but still it was just more straighforward. We found the Canon design more clunky with way too many buttons. I could take photos but it was as though I had too many options and the menu wasn't helping me wade through them. I'm sure that we could have figured it out, but certainly not right then. We decided that since our old cameras are film point-and-shoots, we weren't quite ready for too much more. And we thought we would be more eager to take pictures with the Sony due to it ease-of-use. I didn't want to buy a camera that I thought might aggravate me and make me less likely to use it. I'd rather save the cash.
This conclusion came about because we are not photographers, we ust want to be able to take photos on vacation, birds, mountains, whatever, but still have the option of going more manual as we get more comfortable and learn more. I suspect that in a couple of years I might look back and say I could have gotten more out of the Canon because it seems to offer a fuller feature set. However, we are going to Hawaii in a month and we felt with the Sony we could hit the ground running.
I don't believe you will be terribly disappointed in either camera. I just think that the final decision should come down to which feels better in your hand and at your eye. The money issue isn't insignificant (I just paid $299 for mine and would have preferred your $249 price) but I don't think it should be a primary concern because any digital camera is going to save you so much money compared to film. I took a trip to Europe about 11 years ago and took somewhere around 30 rolls of film over the course of three months. My new camera cost less than getting that film developed.
Anyway, good luck, I hope you are happy with whatever you decide, and I apologize that this posting got just a smidge longer than I anticipated.
ladridi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 7:32 PM   #15

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
Shouldn't have to rifle through thousands of photos to find a decent one produced by the Cadillac of cameras now, should we gerrydee?

the Hun
I've used 5 cameras over the last 3 months and it's not easy to find the one's from the S3. Have to cypher through a lot of exif data to locate some plus it took me a while to figure out how to upload here as I'm new to forums and they all seem to do it differently. I'm only going to upload one since I think if I try to upload more, it won't work.
Spitfires

Attached Images

Old Apr 2, 2007, 7:34 PM   #16

I'm on a roll, it worked! Here's another one: Detroit City skyline

Attached Images

Old Apr 2, 2007, 7:46 PM   #17

Nice pics gerry...unfortunately, you've stripped the EXIF data from the pics, so we don't really know for sure which of your 5 cameras you took them with. If you say they were taken with your S3, I believe you, but I kind of doubt that they were taken at ISO 400, which the original request was for. C'mon now, just one ISO 400 pic...indoors...without flash.

Take your time.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 7:59 PM   #18

rinniethehun wrote:
Old Apr 2, 2007, 8:05 PM   #19

When you upload pics to a website and then download, you rarely retain the EXIF. You can resize them with just about any photo software right on your computer. I use Irfanview...it's free.

http://irfanview.com/

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 12:09 PM   #20

gerrydee wrote:
Quote:
rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
Nice pics gerry...unfortunately, you've stripped the EXIF data from the pics, so we don't really know for sure which of your 5 cameras you took them with. If you say they were taken with your S3, I believe you, but I kind of doubt that they were taken at ISO 400, which the original request was for. C'mon now, just one ISO 400 pic...indoors...without flash.

Take your time.

the Hun

I did not know the exif was stripped. I uploaded them to Flickr!, re-sized, downloaded and uploaded to here. I should have used Photoshop. They were too large for this site.
I just went to the Flickr! site again and both were at ISO 200. BTW I wasn't aware you wanted ISO 400 or I still would be looking. I know I don't have one from the S3 at those specs. In order to replicate those conditions for comparison, I would need to be in a studio with studio lighting at the same focal length and ISO. It would be next to impossible. I'm mostly into landscapes, nature, animals, architecture, chasing ambulances and fire trucks ...

IMO, all the UZ's struggle at ISO 400 anyhow. Anything above 200 is a gamble whether it be Sony, Canon, Panasonic, Fugi, Olympus or Kodak to name a few.
I hardly ever use a tripod. I use the zoom a lot, and shoot video often which is why I chose the S3 over the Sony H5 on my last binge. They were the exact same price at Black's (Canada) and very comparable in IQ and features. I liked the big LCD of the Sony but the swivel screen on the Canon was a big plus too. But I mainly use the EVF anyhow. I researched for about 3 months before narrowing it down to those 2.

I'm a Minolta fan and Sony (Konika/Minolta) was high on my list. But the Canon video was much better, so S3 it was. I might have been just as happy with the H5 too. I'll never know. I've been in photography since the late 70's and want to lighten the load to 2 cameras, one for tagalong and one for excursions, video included.

BTW Hun, is there a way to view the EXIF from the stage shots from here or do I have to download to Photoshop? Remember, I'm a newbie at this. Thanks...