Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 4, 2007, 12:38 PM   #31

Here's how I see it:

You can work back from the numbers you posted and come up with a few breakdowns.

There were 106 million total digitals sold, 5.26 million were DSLRs, so about 101 million P&S.
Canon sold 19.7 million total, 2.3 million DSLRs and 17.4 million P&S

Sony sold 16.75 million total, 0.32 million DSLR, 16.43 million P&S

Eastman Kodak sold 10.6 million total, probably all P&S

Olympus sold 9.12 million total, but ???? DSLR

Samsung sold 8.3 million total, ???? DSLR

Nikon sold 8.05 million total, 1.65 million DSLR, and 6.4 million P&S

Nikon, Canon and Sony totalled 4.27 million DSLR, so everybody else sold about 0.7 million (out of 5 million total) That means Olympus, Pentax, Samsung and Panasonic shared 0.7 million.
Wish we had just a couple more % figures, so I could calculate the DSLR numbers for Pentax and Olympus.

gerrydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 2:17 PM   #32

MommyB,

steve's digicams has a review of the H2, and it addresses a comparison with the S3 in the final paragraph. Please see:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/h2_pg5.html

And I quote,

"If you're looking for a light-weight, stylish, moderately-priced digicam that is versatile enough to handle most family events while getting you close to sports action or wildlife, the SONY Cyber-shot H2 should be high on your list. You should also consider the Canon PowerShot S3 IS. Both cameras carry similar specifications and are capable of delivering high-quality images. The S3 IS advantages include better Continuous AF tracking of moving subjects, industry-leading movie mode, articulating LCD monitor, faster shutter speeds and greater continuous shooting speed and buffer depth. On the other hand, the H2 provides greater indoor flash range and AF-assist performance, lower image noise at high ISO settings, ISO 1000, Smart Digital Zoom and Multi Burst mode."

You should also consider the Fuji S6500FD. It usually goes at a cheaper price than the S3 IS, and should be roughly similiar to the H2 in price. Pros for the S6500FD over the S3 and H2 include the best high ISO performance amongst all ultrazoom cameras right now. A manual zoom lens for faster, more accurate zooming. A wide angle lense starting at 28mm, for landscapes and those tricky group shots where the corner guys are out of the picture. And face detection, for identifying faces in a group photo and selecting the best exposure between them. The Fuji also records movies until card capacity, unlike the S3 which is restricted to 1GB per clip, or 10 mins (whichever is shorter).

Cons include no IS. Though IS is really not needed as the good high ISO quality allows images to be taken with fast shutter speeds in almost any situation. Heavier camera, weighing at 600g. This can be a big con depending on your requirements. This is definitely not a camera you can slip into your purse.
Shahmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 5:01 PM   #33

Here's a side by side review of the Sony H5 vs the Canon S3:

http://www.dcviews.com/reviews/Sony-...-S3-review.htm
gerrydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 7:22 PM   #34

I gotta comment back on the iso performance mentioned in the last page. The Fuji 6000 far from struggles with iso 400, here is an iso 800 shot I took with it.

Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 8:14 PM   #35

Highway-

Your posted photo looks great. As a Fuji S-6000 owner myself, I can appreciate the high ISO setting photos that the Fuji S-6000 is capable of recording. That high ISO capability is something that UZ cameras like the Canon S-3 can only wish for, but never achieve.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 10:53 AM   #36

I agree, it's the reason I exchanged my S3 for an S6000 and I'm very pleased with the results.
Highway is offline   Reply With Quote