Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 30, 2007, 4:30 PM   #1

My Olympus Stylus 400 finally bit the dust, so I'm in the market for a new camera.

I've researched a ton and have finally narrowed down my options to theSony Cybershot DSC-H2 and the PowerShot S3 IS. While these are both so similar, a couple of points are clouding my judgement.

Price -- H2 is on clearance at local store for $249. S3 falls between $309 and $349online. As the cameras are both very similar, should I just go for the H2 at this price?

Memory -- Not sure how I feel about the Memory Stick in the H2. This was the only reason I didn't buy it when I initially saw it. Seems like the S3 and its use of SD cards is better. Your thoughts?

Also, I keep seeing the complaints about the lens cap falling off on the S3.

I guess all in all, I was leaning towards the S3 because it seems to have the "edge" over the H2 on nearly every review I've read. Now, with the price and lens cap issue, I'm leaning towards the H2, yet the memory stick is holding me back.

Any advice out there to help me decide....?

THANKS!
MommyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2007, 6:54 PM   #2

Mommy-

I happen to disagree with you. The Sony H-2 and H-5 are great cameras. However, they are soon to be replaced by the Sony H-7 and H-9 that is the reason for the price decease. A Sony H-2 for $(US) 249.00 is a REAL bargain.

I use a H-5 and really feel that it is a great camera. I own a Canon S-2. You might ask why I did not go for the Canon S-3 versus the Sony H-5 that I actually purchased. Well, to be 100% honest, when compared to the S-2, the S-3 really did not offer that many improvements. Clearly the Sony H-2 and H-5 cameras were better than the Canon S-3.

If I were you, I would go with the Sony H-2 at that bargain price, andI would not hesitate to purchase the needed Sony Pro Duo chip needed for the H-2. After all, you are saving a bundle over the price of the Canon S-3.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 8:55 PM   #3

*gerrydee removes foot from mouth and says:
MommyB, I would definately recommend the Canon S3 as I believe it is superior to the Sony H2 and closer to the H5. To get a better camera than the S3, you would need a dslr.
Just go to Steve's reviews, DPR or CNET and see for yourself, do a side by side comparison and don't buy until you see both and are happy with the "feel" of them.
The H5 and the S3 are the same price. At least in Canada.
The H2 may be less $$ but you will kick yourself in the butt for the next 3 years for having chosen it over the S3 or H5 for $50. as there is no comparison between the two. IMO, the H2 is just not even in the same league.
Happy hunting.
gerrydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:01 PM   #4

gerrydee/or poor peasant-

Please post some great photos from your Canon S-3 so we can make a studied andeducated evaluation of those photos from both the Canon S-3 (you) and the Sony H-5 (me). Thanks for posting.

It is all in the photos! Please post. We will all be waiting! Here is another H-5 sample photo taken at ISO 400 with no flash. Perhaps gerrydee can also post an ISO 400 no flash photo from his S-3 for comparison.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

Old Mar 31, 2007, 5:35 PM   #5

Nice pictures Sarah...You don't need flash with stage lighting.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 6:03 PM   #6

Shouldn't have to rifle through thousands of photos to find a decent one produced by the Cadillac of cameras now, should we gerrydee?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 6:06 PM   #7

gerrydee-

TheOP is interested in and seeking opinions on the Sony H-2 in comparison to the Canon S-3. She has located a SonyH-2 for $249.00, while the Canon S-3 is selling on the internet for $285 to $300.

I just happen to have the personal opinion that the 6mp Sony H-2 camera would serve her a bit better than the Canon S-3 and I have offered photo samples from my personal files to back up my offered opinion.

I did not resort to a personal attack nor the sarcasm that you chose to use in your latest posting.

I did followup on your suggestion to seek out an S-3 sample photo however, and I am posting it with my reply. Sample photos, I sincerely believe, can show us something about the IQ that each camera offers.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

Old Mar 31, 2007, 7:36 PM   #8

Wow Gerrydee, I wonder what camera you own? I bet you have a Canon. Why do some people get so incensed by somebody liking a camera other than what they own better. They are all very good cameras for what they are meant for. They need fairly good lighting, they are slower than any DSLR, And they are pretty good for macro. These cameras are not the ultimate photographic tools on the market but they are great to learn with and a lot of fun to use. When I got my DSLR I decided to sell my super zoom but I could not seem to make myself a one camera household. It's now my wifes camera and she will put it in the automatic mode and shoot away at weddings and family outings. Oh well it helped me learn lots of lessons so now it can go into retirement in the auto mode. C W.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
dwtbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 9:42 PM   #9

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
gerrydee-

TheOP is interested in and seeking opinions on the Sony H-2 in comparison to the Canon S-3. She has located a SonyH-2 for $249.00, while the Canon S-3 is selling on the internet for $285 to $300.

I just happen to have the personal opinion that the 6mp Sony H-2 camera would serve her a bit better than the Canon S-3 and I have offered photo samples from my personal files to back up my offered opinion.

I did not resort to a personal attack nor the sarcasm that you chose to use in your latest posting.

I did followup on your suggestion to seek out an S-3 sample photo however, and I am posting it with my reply. Sample photos, I sincerely believe, can show us something about the IQ that each camera offers.

MT/Sarah
Sarah, I'm sorry if I came on too strong in answer to your post. I sincerely apologize for the sarcasm. I thought we were about to start a photo competition which would end up who knows where. I have seen some of your photos in other forums and have enjoyed them very much.
The S3 is not my only camera nor is the S2 yours either. We were only stating our preferences and that is fine. I'm hoping the OP will hear from others before this thread goes off track.
l8r Sarah...
Old Mar 31, 2007, 9:52 PM   #10

dwtbone wrote:
Quote:
Wow Gerrydee, I wonder what camera you own? I bet you have a Canon. Why do some people get so incensed by somebody liking a camera other than what they own better. They are all very good cameras for what they are meant for. They need fairly good lighting, they are slower than any DSLR, And they are pretty good for macro. These cameras are not the ultimate photographic tools on the market but they are great to learn with and a lot of fun to use. When I got my DSLR I decided to sell my super zoom but I could not seem to make myself a one camera household. It's now my wifes camera and she will put it in the automatic mode and shoot away at weddings and family outings. Oh well it helped me learn lots of lessons so now it can go into retirement in the auto mode. C W.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
Yes I have a Canon amongst others. I think you are saying pretty much the same as I said until I went on my rant. Must have missed my "nappy".
I'm curious, what brand dslr are you using now, you did not say?
It better not be a SONY! lol...:lol: