Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 5, 2007, 8:37 AM   #11

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
Maybe you're using too slow a shutter speed? Try putting the camera in shutter priority, and crank it up to 1/1000 sec, and try that. You might also try burst mode, and see if that helps.

the Hun

When Iwant to freeze motion,I shoot Aperture prioritywide openand set the ISO as high as I'm willing to go. When that isn't good enough, then I switch tofaster glass.

Widest aperture with any iso, will give you the fastest shutter speed available at that iso, at those conditions, at that metering.

---------

there is of course the alternative approach, but I tend to use it in low light environments. which is setting the shutter speed to an acceptable level, which is for example 1/60 and shooting shutter priority.

that way, even if the calculated exposure is not met, and the I get a low light indication, I can take the shot, even if it is underexposed.

For mostaction shots, Aperture Priority, widest aperture, with the reasonable ISO for the environment is the best way to go.
Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 10:58 PM   #12

Gozinta wrote:
Quote:
rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
Maybe you're using too slow a shutter speed? Try putting the camera in shutter priority, and crank it up to 1/1000 sec, and try that. You might also try burst mode, and see if that helps.

the Hun

When Iwant to freeze motion,I shoot Aperture prioritywide openand set the ISO as high as I'm willing to go. When that isn't good enough, then I switch tofaster glass.

Widest aperture with any iso, will give you the fastest shutter speed available at that iso, at those conditions, at that metering.

---------

there is of course the alternative approach, but I tend to use it in low light environments. which is setting the shutter speed to an acceptable level, which is for example 1/60 and shooting shutter priority.

that way, even if the calculated exposure is not met, and the I get a low light indication, I can take the shot, even if it is underexposed.

For mostaction shots, Aperture Priority, widest aperture, with the reasonable ISO for the environment is the best way to go.
The problem I am refering to and trying to find the answer to (DSLR?) is the lag time from pushing the botton to the shutter opening, most likely due to autofocus delay.

Still working on it.........
acs55812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 2:01 AM   #13

If you are shooting track or tennis, really anything where the action is predictable, you can always pre-focus and wait for the action to happen - there's not a delay for the lens to focus. Here's a picture of a girl practicing pole vaulting from a couple of days ago - taken with a manual focus lens. I take mostly flowers and landscape, but recently I've spent a couple of lunches trying my hand at sports (like only about half my lunch hour on several days). Can't say I know much about shooting, just was curious how limited someone using a dSLR with a sub $1,000 lens would be. I was surprised that I could get some decentshots with a little practice (sports take a whole lotmore practice than landscapes!). They aren't pro quality, but I'm no pro and I can't afford pro gear.

If you think about it - 30 years ago pros took outstanding pictures without auto focus or auto film advance. All of the modern conveniences just make it much easier. This was shot with a Pentax K10 and a 300mm f4 lens, I think you could get similar results with any of the dSLR cameras and a similar lens.

This doesn't apply to sports like soccer and lacrosse, where the action is all over (too many compromises with my set-up).
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 9:38 AM   #14

acs55812 wrote:
Quote:
The problem I am refering to and trying to find the answer to (DSLR?) is the lag time from pushing the bottom to the chutter opening, most likely due to autofocus delay.

Still working on it.........
Some cameras have less lag than others, some lenses focus slower than others as well.On my camera I candisable the autofocus priorty mode so that it takes the picture regardless of whether or not it is in focus. Of course this only helps if Iam ready for the situation and I can prefocus and then focus lock and shoot. Another alternative is usemanual focus. This obviously doesn't work for every situation, but there was a time when we didn't have autofocus and somehow we got by.
Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote