Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 3, 2007, 9:41 PM   #1

Hi, I am trying to decide on a new camera (currently have a Nikon 3200). I like to take scenic shots of mountains, and especially foliage in the fall. I want something with at least 10X optical zoom. Here's what I am considering:

Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ50

Canon Powershot S3 IS

Olympus SP 550

Canon Powershot G7

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated, as I am having such a tough time deciding. I *thought* the new Olympus would be perfect for me, but some of the reviews I have read were not as favorable as the other cameras I am considering. BUT, I certainly haven't ruled it out because it still has some great features that I really like. I would love to hear some of your opinions. Thank you!

Carolanne
Carolanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2007, 9:49 AM   #2

Carolanne-

Like you I also like landscapes. I also like long zooms. However, at least for me, the best landscapes seem to call for a wide angle approach to landscapes. A camera such as the Fuji S-6000's lensstarst at 28mm (35mm eqivalent term) and tops out at 300mm.

The only camera in your selection group that begins at 28mm is the Olympus SP-550. That may or may not be a factor for you to consider,as it is always a case of personal priorities. However, here is a photo sample showing the wide angle format that I am discussing.

MT/Sarah

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 1:07 PM   #3

Sarah,

Thank you for your reply.

Hmmmm.....You have given me something to think about. The only thing I didn't like about the Fuji was that it doesn't have image stabilization.

I am truly making myself nuts with this decision. I was leaning towards the Panasonic Lumix FZ50, but now I'm wondering if I should stick with my first thought and get the new Olympus SP 550???? Or, how important is the image stabilization to me.....I am thinking that is one feature that I really would probably want.

Any other ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Carolanne

Carolanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 1:48 PM   #4

carolanne-

I am NOT saying that it has to be the Fuji S-6000or the Olympus SP-550. IS is helpful in my opinion, but not really an absolute must. I have also seen great landscpae shots from the Sony H-5 (it has IS), the Kodak P-880 (24mm), and the Nikon 5400 (28mm)and 8400 (24mm).

I just like that 16:9 format for landscape shots.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote