Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:43 AM   #1

I need a new camera as I explained elsewhere on the forum. I wanted to get a new one before the end of April as I am going on holiday.

I really like the spec of the new Sony H7/9 but if this is not in the shops by the time I go on holiday I'm prepared to wait till something else comes out. I'm particularly interested in the high speed sports mode with continual autofocus or whatever it is.

But I'm thinkingabout the possible replacement for the Canon S3is.....I've had a good look at the S3is and really like it...but there's little point inbuying something that's going to be superceded in a few months time.

Any advice? Am I going to be waiting till the winter before we see a replacement to the S3? Or should I just 'go' for the Sony when it comes out?
Beejygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2007, 12:57 PM   #2

Unfortunately, digicams, like computers, are becoming consumeables. Computers have a 3 year useful life, and digicams are comparable.

As with computers, if you wait for the ideal digicam that will solve all your problems, you'll never end up buying anything, because there will always be something better on the horizon.

If the one you have will do what you want during your holiday, wait until you get back, so you can make a rational decision without the deadline hanging over your head. If not, then buy the best one (for your purposes) on the market right now, and maybe in three years, you can get the Sony H15 that will solve all your problems.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 1:13 PM   #3

Just my $.02 worth but if you're simply replacing one super-zoom with another after only one generation of evolution you're not really getting much return on investment. The photographic benefits are not large enough to justify the expenditure. Either use this as a chance to jump to a DSLR or wait until the S3IS's replacement has itself been replaced.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 6:11 PM   #4

Thats easy ! Delay your holiday until november :G

I'm in the same situation, although I'm not in such aa hurry.

I'm quite liking the sound of the H9 "sports mode" and its 15x zoom but I'd alsolike to see if canon release the S4 soon. I've heard rumours that it could be anounced at the start of May.

I wouldn't rush into buying one before you've read the reviews. You could end up regretting it later.

Simon

simon07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 3:48 AM   #5

Thanks for your replies.

The situation I'm in is that I have a perfectly serviceable Canon 4mp camera that takes some super photos. So I'm in no desperate rush to buy a new camera - it would be nice to have one before my holiday but it won't spoil things if I don't have one.

It's not as though I need sports mode to picture scenery/ landscapes

So I have plenty of time to wait. I really like the spec on the H7/9 but some of the reviews say the menus are confusing. And as a bear with very little brains when it comes to technology, and already owning a Canon, I'm tempted to wait for the announcement of the S3is replacement.

Although at around the same price on-line the G7 is also looking tempting.....although I've heard the shutter lag/speed is a little slower on that.

.........if only Dslrs weren't so bulky, expensive and needed so many different pricy lenses.
Beejygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 3:58 AM   #6

And then again with a significantly different camera what about the learning curve???

You know the camera you have and it is serviceable.

Probably not the time to get something new for once in a lifetime shots.... maybe could be better but at least you know how your current cam will react in given situaations.

And no you can NEVER wait for the perfect one because as soon as it arrives (IF NOT BEFORE) akways something better just over the horizon... line has to be drawn somewhere.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 4:03 AM   #7

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
And then again with a significantly different camera what about the learning curve???

You know the camera you have and it is serviceable.

Probably not the time to get something new for once in a lifetime shots.... maybe could be better but at least you know how your current cam will react in given situaations.

And no you can NEVER wait for the perfect one because as soon as it arrives (IF NOT BEFORE) akways something better just over the horizon... line has to be drawn somewhere.
Ditto.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote